40 replies to this topic

#1 lance9877

lance9877

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:51 PM

Clarksville has a ordinance banning chickens and even rabbits. However this is old and outdated. Many areas of the city are rural as where I live and I had chickens for 7 years with no complaints. The eggs are better and healthier. They provide a natural fertilizer and do not stink if properly cared for. How is it that i can have a alligator or exotic animal but a rabbit or chicken is not allowed? In todays economy this is a great way to get free food and a environmentally sound idea. Indianapolis allows chickens New albany does as well. Across the river Louisville does. Why is this area so behind in the times. I started a petition on change.org to petition the town to change this. My daughter is a 4H student and had her chicken taken because after 7 years because she had a argument with a neighbor kid whose parents called it in as a act of revenge knowing that  there was a ordinance. Please sign my petition here is a link http://chn.ge/1jeVatJ

• kelley and Tina like this

#2 Buckeye

Buckeye

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:37 PM

I can't sign your petition as I don't believe chickens should be allowed. All is well and good until others decide to become "farmers". Not everyone will keep their pens clean and odor free. Not everyone will keep their chickens in a pen. Not everyone will refrain from having roosters that will crow all hours of the day and night. Lots of people are allergic to chicken fertilizer, me being one of them. I break out in hives. Even though other towns/cities allow them, I am willing to bet there are certain restrictions.......if not, there should be.
  • JenS and Rambler like this

#3 afterglow1971

afterglow1971

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:40 PM

I've been hearing a rooster crow near my house for the past couple of weeks.  It struck me as odd.

#4 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:12 PM

I'm not a Clarksville resident, but support your efforts. A right to feed yourself, to use your property to support yourself seems like a very basic right, one very important now.

It's funny that some of the same communities with these stupid laws also expend resources promoting buy local campaigns and farmers markets.
  • Debbie, jiyabird, Tina and 1 other like this

#5 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:48 PM

The problem with chicks is that it is very difficult to determine the sex at that early age and it's hard to get someone to take a rooster!    Jeffersonville allows chickens (I believe the number is capped at six.)  That's a lot of eggs!  But fresh eggs are so good!  The Farmer's Market sells them for those who like the quality but don't want the hassle of chicken ownership.  Folk ought to be able to provide food for their family, particularly in rural areas of townships or cities.  And, they can't have my bunny, affectionately Hasenfeifer!

• Tina likes this

#6 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

The ordinance could be changed to add a minimum yard size, or minimum distance from neighbors.

I don't think subdivisions should have them necessarily - but then again - they could just start a HOA and ban them that way if the town does away with the ban.

BTW, Sellersburg has the same issue.

• Donna likes this

#7 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:04 PM

I love fresh eggs so much, I would like to have a few chickens, but I love my neighbors more.  Will continue to buy my eggs from the Farmer's Market.  (Besides, Hubs has issued a moratorium on any new critters!  Drat, Drat, and that's Double Drat!

#8 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:34 PM

The ordinance could be changed to add a minimum yard size, or minimum distance from neighbors.

I don't think subdivisions should have them necessarily - but then again - they could just start a HOA and ban them that way if the town does away with the ban.

BTW, Sellersburg has the same issue.

:rolleyes: ......HOA's.......be a bad trade-off.......I'a take'a chik'ns anyday..... :logik:

• Bigfoot, Tina, afterglow1971 and 1 other like this

#9 lance9877

lance9877

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

chickens do not stink and are easier to care for than dogs. I think its funny that people let their cats run wild through neighborhoods and no one has a issue with that. That people leave a dog chained out back to bark at all hours of the night and leave massive waste piles and that is OK but a chicken is no. It was not long ago that every home had chickens. Up to world war 2 it was common place. These laws were enacted after the war as people came back and wanted to be modern. If you look at the rest of the world chickens still exist everywhere. Most major cities allow chickens now. There are very common misconceptions about chickens. i would even be for a permit that cost to have chickens. And yes I think hens should be allowed even in a subdivision and HOA's should be illegal as  no one should have a right to tell you what to do with your property.

• kelley, jiyabird, Tina and 2 others like this

#10 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:21 AM

I agree, lance9877, EXCEPT that permit thingie.  Don't see why citizens should have to pay an additional expense to a government entity for the right to have chickens (or bunnies.) 

• kelley and afterglow1971 like this

#11 HoundDog

HoundDog

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:40 PM

And, they can't have my bunny, affectionately Hasenfeifer!

Yum . . . Hasenpfeffer!  Haven't had that in years!

#12 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:55 PM

...and HOA's should be illegal as no one should have a right to tell you what to do with your property.

Then you don't have to buy a home in a neighborhood that has a H.O.A. Geez.

I love them. It makes sure that no idiot can move in next door to me and devalue MY property by doing something stupid to their property or by not properly maintaining it. Will never move to a subdivision that doesn't have one.
  • Rambler likes this

#13 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:13 PM

Sellersburg passed an ordinance allowing chickens last night.

If anyone wants to move to Sellersburg, I know a Realtor.  :thumbsup:

• kelley, snowman, Bigfoot and 1 other like this

#14 Buckeye

Buckeye

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:06 PM

Then you don't have to buy a home in a neighborhood that has a H.O.A. Geez.

I love them. It makes sure that no idiot can move in next door to me and devalue MY property by doing something stupid to their property or by not properly maintaining it. Will never move to a subdivision that doesn't have one.

I agree with you, Jeff All My Life. If you don't like HOA, then by all means, don't move into a development that has one. I would never live anywhere that didn't have one.

#15 technology overloaded

technology overloaded

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:07 PM

but what about all the people who lived in the rural area across silver creek that clarksville annexed a while back? one would hope it wouldn't apply to them.

• Jeff all my Life likes this

#16 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:33 PM

chickens do not stink and are easier to care for than dogs. I think its funny that people let their cats run wild through neighborhoods and no one has a issue with that. That people leave a dog chained out back to bark at all hours of the night and leave massive waste piles and that is OK but a chicken is no. It was not long ago that every home had chickens. Up to world war 2 it was common place. These laws were enacted after the war as people came back and wanted to be modern. If you look at the rest of the world chickens still exist everywhere. Most major cities allow chickens now. There are very common misconceptions about chickens. i would even be for a permit that cost to have chickens. And yes I think hens should be allowed even in a subdivision and HOA's should be illegal as no one should have a right to tell you what to do with your property.

AMEN! DOUBLE AMEN TO THAT!!!

Edited by jiyabird, 13 May 2014 - 08:35 PM.

#17 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:09 PM

With the economy, the employment (or unemployment) situation, higher and higher taxes and costs of living, more and more things being taken away or being dumped upon us by the government I am all for a person's right to support and help themselves and their family anyway possible.
I have no problem with chickens for small yards, other animals for larger areas...within reason.
If it comes to the point where it becomes a problem for neighbors in regard to noise, smell, excess number of animals or operating a business,then that is a different matter.
It is difficult enough living in each others pockets in a neighborhood where homes are placed closely next to each other without adding stress and animosity.
Perhaps if permits are issued without a lot of hassle,with rules that must be adhered to, then keeping chickens might work.
I simply do not agree with a point blank "ban" on anything for any reason....it is not right, nor American.
I love the idea of gardens. My parents always had one when I was growing up and one of my favorite memories was helping to plant, harvest, dig potatoes, and eating warm tomatoes as I pulled them off the plant,delighting in the joy of summer.
Nothing tastes as good as something you have grown yourself.
An added plus is creating good will with your neighbors by sharing those eggs and vegies.
Seems as if more and more towns are seeing the light about chickens, perhaps Clarksville will follow soon.
Personally, I love the sound of a healthy rooster expressing his joy at being alive!

#18 lance9877

lance9877

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:57 AM

Exactly nothing is better then when you grow things yourself and yes it includes all areas annexed by the town of clarksville. If you look at the history of the law in this country it was put in places after people came back from WW2 and wanted to be modern and things like chicken farming was considered "hick". In todays economy chickens are necessary. One major disaster or food shortage and society would fall apart. Not to mention people are making it from paycheck to paycheck. There is a reason there used to be a term Egg money. I do not understand why this town council has this ordinance but says places like Theatair X which violate ordinances daily can  have a right to exist. And yes I think HOA should be banned as no one has any right to tell you what to do on your property. If you live in a good neighborhood and have good neighbors you can work together to keep home values up. 

#19 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:44 AM

This is stuck in my head now....

• kelley likes this

#20 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:46 AM

Okay I'm going to sound like a crank (or kook!)  But Theatair X has been in business since the '60's.  If you don't like it, don't shop there. Stay true to your morality but stop trying to legislate the demise of a business you don't approve of.   

• JeffResident and JenS like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users