11 replies to this topic

#1 Tired of criminal governan

Tired of criminal governan

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

Heard he is applying for SCHS job.  I don't know why he would want to leave the great facilities, kids and support of the Charlestown community.  I don't think there is any community in the area that supports their football program as well as us.

#2 SIwatcher

SIwatcher

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

He isn't going "ANYWHERE" -- He just wants to see what appling to other jobs will get him at CHS -- he wants the CHS administration to "GIVE" him a sweatheart schedule.If Silver Creek would give him a non- teaching deal - then he might ----

#3 Tired of criminal governan

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:14 AM

This fan does believe that Charlestown should get up to par with surrounding schools regarding program support, football or whatever sport...if other schools have workable weight training programs and the like, we should have that.  Perhaps coach could be the academic advisor to kids participating in sports...he is a great motivator of his players to do well in football, maybe he could use his talents in getting them to do the same with learning.  He is a good guy, I would certainly rather he stay and hopefully use this experience as a postive for both himself and the football program.

• ctownmom likes this

#4 ctownmom

ctownmom

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

Coach Hawkins is a well respected in Charlestown, and I would hate to see him go. The kids really like him, not just the football players. Both of my girls graduated from CHS and both
participated in multiple sports all 4 years they were in high school. The thing that has always been obvious is the lack of student support for all of the CHS teams, unless a certain team
was having a particularly good year. I know this has been brought up before on here. I don't know what the answer is. We would travel to other schools, or even at sectional games, and
almost always every other team there had a MUCH larger student section than CHS. I don't know how to fix it, but it is a shame. I know everyone says times have changed, kids have jobs, etc. But most of the other schools are able to encourage the students to be involved and support their schoolmates. I know when the football team was doing well, they had huge support. But
this past year, from what I've heard, they were very few students who even went to the games. I would just like for someone to figure out a way to get the students more excited about
supporting their teams and having some school spirit.

#5 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

Coach Hawkins wants a better deal.............hmmmmmmm

#6 Tired of criminal governan

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:56 PM

I don't know the high school principal or athletic director but I think they would have a lot to do with the level of school spirit.  I know from personal experience with my kids that a principal can make a huge difference with respect to school spirit and sports support.  The current middle school principal, when she was principal at a prior school, did a fantastic job with this.  There was a very visible difference both before and after she was there in the level of activity, support and even patriotism.  I have heard that this has really improved at CMS in her short tenure there and hope to see it improve even further.  I also agree, that with 2 working parents and tight family budgets these days, it can be difficult to participate and attend events.  Driving to Brownstown or some such place isn't cheap with the price of gas.

#7 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

School Spirit....$1 night   MS Night  T shirt Night

You want school spirt......WIN     

Edited by Sleepy, 25 April 2014 - 02:59 PM.

• pirate1 likes this

#8 SIwatcher

SIwatcher

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:57 PM

Word out he is leaving for Silver Creek -- go figure !!!!

#9 HoosierHoopsFan

HoosierHoopsFan

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

Who are the leading candidates for the football job? Any talk of who has applied so far? I would think it's going to get some interest.

#10 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

Slywatcher....Guess he fooled ya.   

I view Hawkins as a builder, plus I think he was very 

upset that after 5 years of effort he couldn't get the

administration to buy into full time weight lifting as a class.

I believe that part will get done with the new AD.......

#11 SIwatcher

SIwatcher

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:03 AM

I stand corrected !!!! We'll see what the new AD is able to do -- I do not have alot of faith in GCCS administration or CHS leadership (not AD but total school effort) in athletics. Maybe the new AD will put WT training on his to do list ---- which will still included many things that he said he would do as AD .I personally see very few changes in the Ctown sports programs  or facilities. BTW just my opinion -- when they get wt lifting they need a cerified wt lifting instuctor that cares about all students --- not just football players.

Edited by SIwatcher, 20 May 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#12 rhouchens

rhouchens

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:01 PM

Charlestown announced their new football coach Darin Ward formerly coach of Corydon I believe our AD did a great job,we will miss Coach Hawkins but it is time to move on.

• Piratepride likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users