1 reply to this topic

#1 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:51 PM

A “for-profit” company in Tennessee has filed a public records request with Floyd County Sheriff Darrell Mills for 10 years worth of jail book-in photos and copies of uncashed commissary checks. Similar requests were made throughout the state. Mills has not complied with the request and has since been sued by the company, and now he wants the Floyd County Commissioners to consider an ordinance that would limit such requests in the future from for-profit companies looking to make money from public records — at the county’s expense.

“That would take a lot of man hours and we are already short-staffed,” Mills said of compiling the information requested. “I always follow state statute and grant public records request to anyone who wants them. But I don’t think public records should be used for financial gain.”

Should it matter who is requesting the data?  

don-t-steal-the-government-hates-competi

#2 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:30 PM

Maybe.

This story got my attention this morning.

Open records laws that allow the people to hold government accountable are one thing. A good thing.

This is different. The story mentioned the company wanting to make a profit offering to help people collect money. What it didn't mention is that the same company or another seeking such records is going to gently blackmail those who were arrested to get mugshots out of their friends' newsfeeds.

Those records are rightly the property of Floyd Co. residents. If the release is not to one of those residents or for the benefit of those residents, it's hard to understand why Floyd Co. taxpayers should pay the labor costs to provide them.

Edited by kelley, 16 April 2014 - 02:31 PM.

• GrumpyGranny, Bigfoot and JenS like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users