• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:42 AM

Great choice... I've carried the Ruger LCP for years and it's easily the most concealable pistol that I've ever had... 

I'm still curious about the SCCY... I'll keep an eye on the used market... maybe I'll pick one up to play with... 

#22 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:37 AM

As a stockholder in Ruger, I approve of this message.

• Quasar likes this

#23 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:50 PM

Great choice... I've carried the Ruger LCP for years and it's easily the most concealable pistol that I've ever had... 

I'm still curious about the SCCY... I'll keep an eye on the used market... maybe I'll pick one up to play with... 

Very concealable, but not the most accurate carry gun I've owned...my groupings are not real tight, but good enough at close range.  Or perhaps old age has caused my skills to deteriorate?

If you find a used SCCY, let us know your thoughts.  I might buy a used one if the price is right.

• Quasar likes this

#24 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:33 PM

Very concealable, but not the most accurate carry gun I've owned...my groupings are not real tight, but good enough at close range.  Or perhaps old age has caused my skills to deteriorate?

Funny you mention that... way back before Ruger copied the Kel Tec 3AT, I carried one for a long while... then I sold it to a friend and bought the Ruger. I found both of these pistols very difficult to shoot well. I attributed it to the small size and the fact that it was just so tiny in my hand... I tried a Hogue grip which helped a bit. Otherwise I shoot all larger framed pistols better. There are trades offs for everything I suppose... 

At the end of the day though... I'm "minute of bad guy" good with it so it works for me... but if I could somehow know in advance the date and time of an attack, I'd make certain to have my Glock 19 in hand...  :thumbsup:

• TomD likes this

#25 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 10:25 AM

If you find 2 on the used market, let me know...

My interest would be in a CPX2, second generation.  Thanks.

Edited by TomD, 25 March 2015 - 10:26 AM.

#26 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:48 AM

I am no longer in the market for a Sccy pistol.

• Tina likes this

#27 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:01 PM

I am no longer in the market for a Sccy pistol.

Thanks for the tip TomD! I now own a SCCY pistol... 

#28 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for the tip TomD! I now own a SCCY pistol... 

Wow...That was quick.  I was kinda hoping you wouldn't buy it, so I could. 

• Quasar likes this

#29 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:55 AM

First impressions of the Sccy CPX-2:

First, I'm not a gun snob, so hopefully my impressions are not tainted by the bias of this pistol not being one of the 'prestigious' brands.  I primarily want a defensive carry weapon that goes bang every time you pull the trigger.  This one seems to fill the bill.

In my opinion, it has a couple of shortcomings, but nothing that can't be fixed.  The trigger pull is long and stiff...kinda like a revolver.  The trigger action is smooth and the release is crisp. The trigger itself is plastic and has ridges/serrations on it, presumably to provide a better grip and prevent your trigger finger from sliding.  After 50 rounds, my trigger finger was a little sore...most likely caused by a combination of the stiffness of the trigger action and the design of the trigger itself.  I'll be taking the pistol to a gunsmith to lighten up the trigger, and I'll be filing/sanding the trigger face itself to make it smooth.

Other than those two minor issues, this seems to be a terrific pistol.  It was right-out-of-the-box accurate as could be.  The rear sight is adjustable for windage (but not for elevation).  I found the white three dot sights to be perfect, with no adjustment required.  At 25 feet, I was able to put 19 out of 21 shots in a 5 inch group almost dead center of the target.  I was using 9 inch paper plates as targets, and the two shots that were outside the 5 inch group still hit the target with both being about 3/4 inch from the outer edge.

The results at 50 feet were a little less impressive.  I was able to hit the 9 inch paper plate with 15 of 21 shots, and they were a little more scattered...most likely caused by my shooting ability as much as anything else.  I believe that a more accomplished shooter could have put all 21 shots on target with no problem.

The pistol operated smoothly with no feed or ejection failures in 50 rounds.  It seemed a little 'snappy', but nothing that couldn't be controlled.  A shooter with weak wrists might have a little more problem with the recoil.  There is a recoil cushion molded into the backstrap of the grip, but it didn't seem to help much. 

When you consider the lifetime warranty that stays with the pistol, the MSRP of a little over $300, the accuracy that I experienced, and the fact that online reviews say that this is a reliable pistol, I don't see how you can go wrong.  

• Quasar likes this

#30 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:03 AM

Quasar, please post your impressions after you have a chance to shoot you new (used) Sccy.  Thanks.

I talked to customer service at Sccy and they said modifying the trigger would NOT void the lifetime warranty on the weapon, but if it were sent to the manufacturer for warranty work, it would be restored to factory specs.  They are sending me a new version of the slide lock that does not protrude so far from the body of the weapon...at no charge.  So far, customer service has been outstanding...no complicated automated phone tree to navigate, no shuffling from extension to extension.  Just friendly customer service people who seem interested in addressing customer concerns. 

• Quasar likes this

#31 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:16 AM

Great review TomD... thanks for taking the time. 

I was hoping to shoot mine a bit over the weekend but time got away from me... hopefully I can get to it soon!

Do you have a smith in mind for the trigger job? If not, you might talk with Ron Kemp... good guy. 

#32 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:18 AM

I thought I'd provide a quick update of my previous post about the accuracy of my Ruger.380.

When I made the earlier post, the only ammo I had was some Tulammo...junk, IMO.  I recently fired some quality ammo and the results were better.

Using the sights/Weaver stance, I was able to put 12 out of 13 on target at 25 feet, using a paper plate as the target.  Using 'point and shoot', I was able to put 6 out of 7 on target at 15 feet, again using a paper plate as the target.  I don't consider myself an accomplished shooter, but I'm satisfied with my 'point and shoot' results.

I feel that using better quality ammo helped the accuracy.

#33 richardweed

richardweed

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:17 PM

Great review TomD... thanks for taking the time. 

I was hoping to shoot mine a bit over the weekend but time got away from me... hopefully I can get to it soon!

Do you have a smith in mind for the trigger job? If not, you might talk with Ron Kemp... good guy. 

Speaking of Ron, yes he is a good guy  i worked with him for years,,, i took an Ruger SR 1911 to him for a trigger job in around march..he had it for 2 weeks and used all the existing parts, you know, polish here and grind there..anyway got it down from 5.5lbs pull to around 3.5..$115......he said if i went with a Wilson Combat trigger it would add another $100 plus...he also said that the lightest that he will lighten the pull is 3 lbs. anyway.....he said after i shoot a few hundred thru it, that it will lighten up another .5 lb or so..gotta say it is sweet! i do all my loading, i'm  picky...

Edited by richardweed, 13 May 2015 - 03:22 PM.

• Quasar likes this

#34 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:36 PM

Speaking of Ron, yes he is a good guy  i worked with him for years,,, i took an Ruger SR 1911 to him for a trigger job in around march..he had it for 2 weeks and used all the existing parts, you know, polish here and grind there..anyway got it down from 5.5lbs pull to around 3.5..$115......he said if i went with a Wilson Combat trigger it would add another $100 plus...he also said that the lightest that he will lighten the pull is 3 lbs. anyway.....he said after i shoot a few hundred thru it, that it will lighten up another .5 lb or so..gotta say it is sweet! i do all my loading, i'm  picky...

Glad to hear he got your Ruger tuned up... that should be really nice to shoot at 3 lbs or so... 

I've talked to Ron about doing a trigger job on my Super Blackhawk... I like this one a lot so I think I'll have him do a job on it. I reload 44 mag... I'll probably start loading the 9 mm too... not so much because I like to do it, but it just saves so much money... last time I looked a box of Winchester White Box 44 mag was running about $45... I can load a box to my preferred specs for about $12... 

#35 richardweed

richardweed

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:06 PM

i just ordered an 8lb. jug of Hogdon Titegroup from Gunbroker.com...you can't find that stuff on any shelves nearby... paid $205 for the powder,then add Hazmat fee,shipping,Ins.,and a paypal fee, total was $260.60 delivered to my door ...i have had it on back order for almost a year from various suppliers.....i load 380,.38 .357 and 45ACP...ask Ron if he knows Blackie from working at FORDS,,,,he might charge you double tho,, LOL

• Quasar likes this

#36 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:31 PM

i just ordered an 8lb. jug of Hogdon Titegroup from Gunbroker.com...you can't find that stuff on any shelves nearby... paid $205 for the powder,then add Hazmat fee,shipping,Ins.,and a paypal fee, total was $260.60 delivered to my door ...i have had it on back order for almost a year from various suppliers.....i load 380,.38 .357 and 45ACP...ask Ron if he knows Blackie from working at FORDS,,,,he might charge you double tho,, LOL

I don't load Titegroup but thought I had been seeing it at Shooters Supply... had you checked with them? I've been loading with Trail Boss... 2400... Unique... I've been able to find it pretty easily. I've noticed more powder available at Bass Pro lately as well... 

LOL... I might wait until I get the gun back before I ask about you...  :thumbsup:

#37 richardweed

richardweed

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:54 PM

i got several books of formulas..and if you compare Titegroup with trail boss or unique, or most any other brand, i find you use less powder and get as much or more FPS..don't get me wrong you use what works for you,  but if you can't find your favorite keep this as a option... i use 2400 on the .357......Power Pistol is ok but it is ball powder, has a tendency to roll if spilt...but as a safety factor by being a ball, you can't double charge or your bullet won't seat, one or the other, if that makes any sense to ya...

• Quasar likes this

#38 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:55 PM

The LCP is a nice piece.  I looked at it hard along with a couple of others before settling on my Beretta Nano simply because it felt better in my pudgy hand.

#39 Col-Arthur

Col-Arthur

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 02:53 PM

I know I'm late to the party, but FWIW I often carry a CPX-2 when I just want a lighter piece. I've shot some 400 rounds through it with no problems. My practice ammo is Federal 115 gr. FMJ/Aluminum case and I also shoot some Federal 124 gr. FMJ/brass case. Hornady JHP 115 gr. is my carry ammo.

This gun shoots very well and is accurate out of the box.

• Oldgoat likes this

#40 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:54 AM

I know I'm late to the party, but FWIW I often carry a CPX-2 when I just want a lighter piece. I've shot some 400 rounds through it with no problems. My practice ammo is Federal 115 gr. FMJ/Aluminum case and I also shoot some Federal 124 gr. FMJ/brass case. Hornady JHP 115 gr. is my carry ammo.

This gun shoots very well and is accurate out of the box.

I like my original CPX-2 so well that I bought another one when Rural King had them on sale for $199 recently.  Ya just can't go wrong at that price.  I'm happy to say that the new one shoots just as well as my original, and is just as accurate right out of the box.  For me it's a little bulky for a comfortable EDC pistol, although I do carry one of my Sccy's some now that sweatshirt season is here.  It's a great firearm to carry in a hip holster when I'm out in the woods, and a fine glovebox weapon. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users