• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:41 PM

Do any of my fellow CCC members have personal experience with Sccy Industries handguns, specifically their CPX-2?   

#2 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:03 AM

Ain' t real familiar with'em......but they kind'a like a Ruger LC9,SR40,SR9 .......Kel-tec PF9 , P11....P3AT....... :shrug: 

#3 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:53 AM

I've been curious about this pistol as well... and just in case you have not seen Hickok45's review...

#4 Crusenin

Crusenin

Councilman

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:58 AM

No personal experience with SCCY, but was told by the guy at ESR Electronics (you should give them a try if you looking around, great guys and best prices in town) that it was formed from guys who had left Keltec. You either love or hate Keltec. I personally love them. Of course, that's not for a gun for target shooting, but great compact carry pistol. It was my first carry pistol and I carried it for years before buying anything else (which then was the Keltec .380 because it was small & slimmer). The only issue I ever had with my Keltec P11 (which looks very similar to SCCY CPX-2) was ammo type. If I recall correctly, and this has been 10+ years ago, Winchester ammo (at the time) had a flat nose on the 9mm round, I think it was Win-Clean technology, and it seemed not to like to chamber those all the time. It shot any round-nose ammo just fine. 

So, to make a long story short, if it's anything like Keltec, I'd personally give it a try if I was in the market for one. I know SCCY does have a lifetime warranty. 

#5 GOB

GOB

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:11 AM

Got a P-11 that could be for sale.

• Quasar likes this

#6 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

If you are considering a 9mm semi auto, the Ruger SR9C is worth a look.
  • Quasar likes this

#7 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:35 AM

Thanks to all for the input.

Quasar...I had not seen Hickok45's review...interesting and straightforward.

Crusein...I'll give ESR a visit, although they are not shown as a Sccy dealer on the Sccy website.

GOB...send me a PM with the details about your P11.  From what I can determine, the pistols are almost exactly alike.  Sccy has a lifetime warranty, although that's not such a big deal for an old geezer like me...or you. :laugh:

Woo...the Ruger SR9C is quite a bit heavier than the Sccy CPX or the Kel Tec P11.  I already have a Makarov that, although on the heavy side, has been my go-to carry pistol.  It's accurate, reliable, and comfortable to shoot.  But for a defensive carry pistol, it's a little heavy and has an exposed hammer that can catch on clothing. 

I'm also still looking for a lightweight .38 revolver for my wife.

Edited by TomD, 14 March 2014 - 07:37 AM.

#8 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:52 AM

Ruger lcr
http://ruger.com/pro.../index.html?r=y

#9 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:08 AM

Thanks to all for the input.

Quasar...I had not seen Hickok45's review...interesting and straightforward.

Crusein...I'll give ESR a visit, although they are not shown as a Sccy dealer on the Sccy website.

GOB...send me a PM with the details about your P11.  From what I can determine, the pistols are almost exactly alike.  Sccy has a lifetime warranty, although that's not such a big deal for an old geezer like me...or you. :laugh:

Woo...the Ruger SR9C is quite a bit heavier than the Sccy CPX or the Kel Tec P11.  I already have a Makarov that, although on the heavy side, has been my go-to carry pistol.  It's accurate, reliable, and comfortable to shoot.  But for a defensive carry pistol, it's a little heavy and has an exposed hammer that can catch on clothing. 

http://www.armslist....1--9-mm-handgun

seen 'nuther 1,couple'a days ago, dude had'a pair of'em....in Indy, anyways..... :shrug:

I'd go a Glock 26 or 27,m'self......but at's jus' me......

#10 Crusenin

Crusenin

Councilman

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

Went to ESR just to check out what in stock. They did have SCCY in stock for I think $269. They also had the Keltec P11 for $265. Those are cash prices, think they add 3% for using credit card.

As far as other pistols go, I really like my S&W Shield 9mm. Feels great in hand and shoots great. It was $399 when I bought it a few months back.

#11 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

Update:

Rural King has the Sccy CPX-2 for $239...hard to say no at that price.  Plus, through 4/5 they are offering a Rural King 12 percent rebate.

#12 Crusenin

Crusenin

Councilman

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:23 AM

I was very impressed with Rural King's prices. From what I price, they were Bass Pro prices or slightly lower. Guy at counter said they've still got a ways to go on selection, that they just haven't gotten everything they're going to carry yet. Let me know how that Sccy shoots. Very curious. Reviews say they're good. 

#13 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:40 AM

Rural King will do 10% off weekends from time to time.
They do have some silly rule that handguns must be in a locked case to leave the store.

#14 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:33 PM

Rural King will do 10% off weekends from time to time.
They do have some silly rule that handguns must be in a locked case to leave the store.

They appear to have rules made by ignorant bureaucrats with no experience with guns.  Every gun has a trigger lock, and they won't remove it.  You can't see how the gun feels in your hand, and you can't see how heavy the trigger pull is.  And yes, every gun must go  from the gun counter to outside the store in a locked case with the trigger lock in place.  These seem to be ill-conceived safety rules...don't they realize people can freely go in the store while carrying their loaded weapon.  Now I guess I'll have to stop at the door, unload my weapon, put on a trigger lock, and put it in a locked case while I shop there.  :shifty:  :tongue:

I think they want to sell you a firearm because there is profit to be made...but they sure don't want to help you buy a firearm. 

Edited by TomD, 09 April 2014 - 04:38 PM.

• iRescue likes this

#15 hoppy

hoppy

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

School next door is why it must go out locked. Rules.

#16 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

Bass pro does the same thing with the trigger locks.

#17 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:09 PM

These are some of the reasons that I prefer to deal with real gun stores whenever possible...

#18 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:30 PM

Yeah.......was in RK other day look'n at'a jobsite box.......cruised thru the new gun section, seen 'at sign @ counter, thought... :blink: ....WHUT?.... :tongue:

An' if ya ain't got'cher own......ya got buy 1 them from'em too.....hahahahaha!.... :rolleyes:

An'  'gun o' the week'........is a Ruger LC9......I think..... NOT bad price on it, tho (laser included)..... :logik:

Edited by Bikerdude, 09 April 2014 - 08:34 PM.

• Quasar likes this

#19 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:55 PM

TomD... did you buy the SCCY? If so what do you think of it?

#20 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:38 AM

I did not buy the SCCY...instead, I bought the Ruger LCP.  I needed one of the smallest 9mm or 380 I could find.  Since I'm not a very big guy, the SCCY would have been a little more difficult to carry concealed because of it's larger physical size.  The Ruger 380 conceals well in pocket carry, IWB holster, ankle holster, or Mexican style carry.  The SCCY has gone up $50 in price since I first considered it...there apparently has been strong demand from gun buyers for this pistol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users