• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:38 AM

The idea of the Chatter giving back to the community was born during Supermike's reign, and has continued in some form since. It was primarily making a cash donation as we could in the Clark County Chatter name.

In September, 2013, a member, Kelley, had the idea of a team comprised of Chatter members volunteering to provide a monthly dinner for homeless/low income men, women and children for Exit 0's mission of providing daily meals. There were several members interested in volunteering so Team Chatter was born. The team's first dinner was the second Thursday in September and was a great success. Most of the team was meeting for the first time, but everyone jumped in, working together like they had done it a hundred times before.

Exit 0 has offered to share donated food items with the team for preparation, but for the most part the team has chosen to provide everything themselves; food, condiments, paper goods. Some members provide snacks and fruit that those we serve can take away with them. Others bake and cook the food at their homes, or prep it at home for cooking at the church...First Presbyterian Church in Jeffersonville. The number of people served has grown recently.

Kelley mentioned that we needed a team leader; someone volunteered to be the temporary leader, but has backed away from that position in recent months. Team Chatter is great! The members are all leaders! The team continues on, with everyone taking part in planning the menu and seeing that the monthly dinner continues smoothly. Members have involved their children and grandchildren in the endeavor, showing the kids by example how important it is to give back to the community. It's wonderful to see the kids at the dinners.

Team Chatter members have done other things for Exit 0 clients, too. Recently toiletries have been added to the monthly "menu" for those the team serves. Last fall Overit hosted an "ugly quilt" party at her house. The team members made four sleeping bags that were donated to Exit 0. Before Christmas, members donated T-shirts, socks and ramen noodles for distribution to incarcerated men and women. Members have participated in the camp cleanups. Many acts of giving back to the community are done privately by Chatter members, and include other non-profits in the area, like the Center for Lay Ministries.

For more information about the dinners and what the Team has done, you can go to the Team Chatter forum, http://clarkcountych...4-team-chatter/

It does make us feel good to give back to the community, but more than that, it gives us the opportunity to get to know each other and those we serve. It's an opportunity to interact with folks who walk a different path than most of us do. Or it can be a reminder of where we've been or were we could be...
  • kelley, Quasar and Donna like this

#2 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,123 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

Chatter and it's members have given very generously to my family and me in the past year. Members and moderators kept this a safe place early on which did so much for my sanity. So many members offered their presence and shared our anger and pain. Individually and as a group, gifts were given that made the first few months more bearable including a week of sun and anonymity. There is overlap in membership here and among other groups that have done so much such as my neighbors and our church. I believe this site attracts those that care about their community. And you guys keep it up. Had it been left to me, the event tomorrow would have to been canceled due to mental and emotional exhaustion, but because of people like "Rosie the Riveter," "Aeriel View" and "Bud's mom" it's going to be fabulous. Chico Limon would've also been a fabulous emcee had he not been hospitalized earlier this week. Some prayers for him included in our giving would be appreciated.

Besides what has been done directly for us, it has meant so much to me to see what Chatter has done. From the early fundraising effort for a young artist, to the top secret efforts of those the media have dubbed "Chatter chicks" which benefitted kids, the hungry and a struggling family to, especially, the blossoming of Team Chatter. There have been two second Thursdays that were especially miserable. Reading about the meal you guys served...well, was arguably life saving on at least one occasion. Love you guys.

Edited by kelley, 07 March 2014 - 02:49 PM.

• GrumpyGranny, Quasar and Bigfoot like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users