49 replies to this topic

#1 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:54 AM

Wrapping up the last dinner, a couple of us had talked about an Irish theme for next month. Beef stew was mentioned as a possibility.

If we went with beef stew, we could also do mashed potatoes, and using a larger type bowl we could add a scoop of potatoes and the stew on the side of the mashed potatoes.

Any other ideas?
  • GrumpyGranny and kelley like this

#2 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:50 AM

Corned beef? bean soup?
  • GrumpyGranny likes this

#3 Billie G

Billie G

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:27 AM

I think the St. Paddy's dinner sounds great-even though cooked cabbage stinks while cooking, it tastes great, Lord knows, besides a black and tan, you can't get more Irish. Plus some soda bread.

#4 Billie G

Billie G

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:48 AM

If cabbage and soda bread is a go- I will do both.
  • GrumpyGranny, kelley and Tina like this

#5 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,123 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:14 AM

Y'all keep this up, I'm just showing as a guest next month!

#6 ChopperWoman

ChopperWoman

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

I'll bring rolls and butter, bananas and oranges, and I still have plenty of plates in my car that we didn't need last dinner.

Oh wait .... soda bread? Maybe we won't need rolls? Let me know!

Edited by ChopperWoman, 18 February 2014 - 05:37 PM.

#7 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

I'll bring the usual snacks -- chips, cookies, candy, etc. Also, I keep bringing the leftover toiletries from our Christmas bags -- the items are almost gone. So if anyone has any small 'hotel' size shampoos, lotion, toothpaste, toothbrushes, combs etc. -- they seem to go over well. Also, razors-- the men especially like the razors and several were looking for hand lotion due to the dry weather - I think chapstick would be appreciated too if anyone has any extra.
  • GrumpyGranny, Bigfoot and Tina like this

#8 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:01 PM

One of the men ask if we had any shaving lotion--does that come in small cans? On the dinner, I don't care what we have but need to keep in mind that we will need a lot of whatever it is. What is soda bread?

#9 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:15 PM

Masey,

I know Dollar tree has some decent size cans of the shaving cream and many other things. A couple folks could chip in and get razors and shaving cream. I am willing to pick some up if a few others want to also. We can work together to make sure we have enough of both.
  • GrumpyGranny and masey like this

#10 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,123 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

I'll bring the usual snacks -- chips, cookies, candy, etc. Also, I keep bringing the leftover toiletries from our Christmas bags -- the items are almost gone. So if anyone has any small 'hotel' size shampoos, lotion, toothpaste, toothbrushes, combs etc. -- they seem to go over well. Also, razors-- the men especially like the razors and several were looking for hand lotion due to the dry weather - I think chapstick would be appreciated too if anyone has any extra.

I have a few of these items - couple dozen or more - and will bring them.
  • IntegrityMatters and GrumpyGranny like this

#11 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

I can pick up some shaving cream and razors also.
  • IntegrityMatters and GrumpyGranny like this

#12 backinthegame

backinthegame

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

I love the Irish idea. I will make deserts as always. I have some small shampoos that I can bring also.

#13 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:21 AM

Since I don't know a thing about irish food, I wil probably leave the cooking to everyone else! Just keep in mind we need to be able to feed a lot of people! I grew up on my Grandma's cooking, meat and taters, veggies out of the garden, nothing fancy or different and I don't have a culinary imagination...

I have two of the Christmas bags left so I will bring those items, and get some additional items to bring. I will also try to think of something else to bring.
  • Billie G likes this

#14 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:14 AM

OK---let's not all speak up at once. LOL
I have been thinking of what we could do and while I like the stew idea, it is going to take a heck of a lot of stew and take a long time to fix. Need more than a couple of people to do. Most people do not have the pans to make a hugh amount. I cannot be there the night of the dinners early enough to fix, so whatever I fix will have to be from home. The ones that fixed the main dish last time did a great job in time and money.
Tina had mentioned soup beans--several could fix that from home with cornbread. Someone else said to have hot dogs and baked beans. We could do mashed potatoes with some kind of meat & veg. We could do baked potatoes (everyone bake some) as a potato bar with a veg. We could do rice with something else-but not everyone is fond of rice.
I really think we need to make the meals good but simple and it is only once a month so if we repeat it is not going to be a big deal.
Who wants to decide?

I didn't mention much that is Irish because I don't usually cook Irish things---anyone knowing my last name will laugh at that!

Edited by masey, 25 February 2014 - 07:17 AM.

• GrumpyGranny and Billie G like this

#15 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

yeah i guess we need to figure this out...

i have a fairly large stockpot, not sure how much it holds, and i could make a stew if that's what we decide. would be a great accompaniment to mashed taters... but yes, expensive. not sure the one pot would be enough either, so... there is that... we'd probably need someone else to make a big one also.

potatoes seem to be the Irish thing so some sort of those would be good. sausages... (bangers and mash) would be good... if we did that i could see working in the cooked cabbage as a side to that.
  • GrumpyGranny, masey and Tina like this

#16 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

There are some interesting ideas here!

http://www.irishabro...pe.asp?RcpID=43
  • GrumpyGranny and snowman like this

#17 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

If we decide on the stew I can make 2 crock pots. They would make enough for about 15-20. ( cup and 1/2 portions I am guessing) Lesley said she could also make some. We could have bread and crackers with it and then do potatoes aslo---how would we serve them? Anyone got the potatoes in a bag from GFS? They really arn't bad and super easy. Doesn't make a difference to me what we have as long as we have something filling.
  • GrumpyGranny and snowman like this

#18 backinthegame

backinthegame

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:50 PM

I found out tonight that I have an awards banquet the evening of the 13th. I will have to drop off my cakes before hand. I really hate to miss,but I will be there in spirit:)

• IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny and Billie G like this

#19 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:35 AM

If we decide on the stew I can make 2 crock pots. They would make enough for about 15-20. ( cup and 1/2 portions I am guessing) Lesley said she could also make some. We could have bread and crackers with it and then do potatoes aslo---how would we serve them? Anyone got the potatoes in a bag from GFS? They really arn't bad and super easy. Doesn't make a difference to me what we have as long as we have something filling.

ok... i will make a big pot of beef stew. anyone want to do mashed potatoes?

#20 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:38 AM

I'll bring instant potatoes (from GFS, Masey! I love GFS!), a pot to make them in, and a pan to serve them in. How about some cornbread? I like it with beef stew. I can pick it up, too.
  • snowman likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users