46 replies to this topic

#1 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:51 AM

Ok, this is just a suggestion - so don't kill the messenger! I won't be offended if you all tell me "no way!"

But since it will be the day before Valentine's, I got the hair brained idea that instead of a cafeteria style dinner - we could SERVE. Serve like waitresses and waiters at a restaurant. Let them be seated at their tables, take their order, get their drinks (anyone have one of those soda makers?), etc.

If we really wanted to go extra special to make them feel :wub: loved :wub: we could see if Kelley or Paul could help find out their favorite meals? Each of us maybe become a short order cook for one month? (I think if each of us cook 3 or so plates we could pull it off)

Now, I'm not suggesting this would be easy to coordinate!

So let's use this thread to brainstorm other ways to really show our love for them!
  • GrumpyGranny and Quasar like this

#2 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:10 AM

Ok, this is just a suggestion - so don't kill the messenger! I won't be offended if you all tell me "no way!"

But since it will be the day before Valentine's, I got the hair brained idea that instead of a cafeteria style dinner - we could SERVE. Serve like waitresses and waiters at a restaurant. Let them be seated at their tables, take their order, get their drinks (anyone have one of those soda makers?), etc.

If we really wanted to go extra special to make them feel :wub: loved :wub: we could see if Kelley or Paul could help find out their favorite meals? Each of us maybe become a short order cook for one month? (I think if each of us cook 3 or so plates we could pull it off)

Now, I'm not suggesting this would be easy to coordinate!

So let's use this thread to brainstorm other ways to really show our love for them!

LOL... I think there is a fair chance that the messenger does get killed this time... :D
  • GrumpyGranny and masey like this

#3 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:15 AM

The serving sounds good. The short-order cooking, individualized meals not so much.
  • IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny, Quasar and 2 others like this

#4 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:28 AM

I agree with Kelley; I believe the short order cooking would take much longer than our usual way of doing the food prep and would wear everyone out!

We could take a little time to decorate the tables. Tableclothes, etc., can be had inexpensively at the Dollar Tree. Perhaps red tableclothes, white napkins and we go ahead and set up the place settings with napkins and red forks, knives, etc.; bowls of candy hearts on the tables...
  • kelley, Quasar, masey and 1 other like this

#5 backinthegame

backinthegame

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:32 AM

Snowman and Paul were talking last night about having a valentines theme. Maybe the ladies get a rose and candles on the tables. I would love this. By the way Tina those beans ROCKED!!!!!!!!!
  • GrumpyGranny, kelley, Quasar and 1 other like this

#6 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:43 AM

Oh I didn't mean to cook the individual meals AT the church - I figured they would be cooked ahead of time at home.

But even if we do a regular style meal, I think it would be a neat change to serve them at the tables?
  • GrumpyGranny, Quasar and backinthegame like this

#7 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:08 AM

sounds like a good idea to me. The young people would love putting on aprons and being the "waiters", "waitresses" for the evening. Once we have our menu set, I would be willing to type up a "menu" that could be passed out to each person and then the "waiters/waitresses" take their order! Our usual kitchen helpers could dish up the plates to the order - then the young people serve! We could still have the usual "extra" snacks and fruit table for them to select from for take-home.
  • GrumpyGranny, kelley, Quasar and 1 other like this

#8 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:38 AM

I have 2 aprons (one is full length and red and the other is just a waist style one that's pink - so they go with the Valentine's theme!) and 6 little notebooks for the orders (stocking stuffers I got for my kids) I can bring. We could even ask their names as we take their orders so it feels a little more personal when delivering them! :wub:

Edited by Tina, 10 January 2014 - 09:38 AM.

• Quasar likes this

#9 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

I like the idea of decorating the tables but not the idea of taking orders--that could turn into a big bust. We don't know who will show up and for some of us it would be hard to get meals done ahead of time. It sounds good to serve them but I notice some are real ancy to eat so don't know if that would make them feel good or not. Whatever we do I think we need to keep it reasonable because if I was short on money (and have been there) I wouldn't want someone spending a lot of money on things. We have to keep in mind that some of the people have next to nothing and while making it nice for them there is a fine line on making it nice or making them feel bad that it can't be that way every day. I know your heart is in the right place Tina.
  • GrumpyGranny, kelley and Quasar like this

#10 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

Thanks masey.

I'm not wanting it so much to be over the top, I'm just searching for ways to make them feel loved, individually. While every month is an act of love for the group, I think Valentine's is a good time for us to show them individually love.

(Oh, and for the record I am not easily offended - so please feel free to bust holes in my idea or throw out new ideas)
  • GrumpyGranny, Quasar, snowman and 1 other like this

#11 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:30 AM

Thanks masey.

I'm not wanting it so much to be over the top, I'm just searching for ways to make them feel loved, individually. While every month is an act of love for the group, I think Valentine's is a good time for us to show them individually love.

(Oh, and for the record I am not easily offended - so please feel free to bust holes in my idea or throw out new ideas)

I think it's a cool idea...

My concern would be the amount of time involved in taking orders and serving everyone individually... especially by people that are not professional servers... I wonder if it would end up complicating things...
  • GrumpyGranny and masey like this

#12 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:47 AM

I may try to make up some candy for the dinner and drop it off with someone a day or so before hand since I don't get off work in time. I think I still have my stuff to make valentines chocolate suckers and stuff. I will do up a large batch where everyone can have a couple!
  • GrumpyGranny, Quasar, ChopperWoman and 1 other like this

#13 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:03 AM

I think Italian food would be cool. I can do a couple casseroles of lasagna, if that's what we decide on. Perhaps some ravioli.
  • GrumpyGranny, Quasar, ChopperWoman and 1 other like this

#14 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:05 AM

Roses at Valentine time are kinda pricey... If we do that, I'd suggest buying the sweetheart bouquets and breaking them down. Don't call me cheap! LOL
  • GrumpyGranny, Quasar and Bigfoot like this

#15 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

I may try to make up some candy for the dinner and drop it off with someone a day or so before hand since I don't get off work in time. I think I still have my stuff to make valentines chocolate suckers and stuff. I will do up a large batch where everyone can have a couple!

that sounds good, if it doesn't work out we could do heart-shaped cookies with red icing.
  • GrumpyGranny, Quasar and Tina like this

#16 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

I will be hitting the candy supply shop first thing next week to get stuff to make sure I get it before the candy rush that they have the week before lol.
  • GrumpyGranny and Quasar like this

#17 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:18 PM

The "menu"s that I print could have a place for a name .... then list each item we are serving individually. The waiter/waitress would only have to fill out the first name and then put a checkmark beside the food they want on their plate. Would be simple and no room for error or handwriting to read. Once we have the menu set, I can make them up and print them out. For example:

Name_______________________

_____Lasagna

_____ Green Beans

______Cabbage

______Cole slaw

______ Deviled eggs

______ ?????

I think we should let them get their own drinks and take-home snacks. We could walk around with trays of desserts. And the waiters/waitresses could walk around with drink refills during the meal. Each waiter/waitress could be assigned to one table (or two waiters per table). There are usually only 4 or 5 at a table so should be easy.

Edited by IntegrityMatters, 10 January 2014 - 01:22 PM.

• GrumpyGranny, kelley, Quasar and 2 others like this

#18 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

I like this idea a lot! I think we could serve drinks too, we could always do that before the food since a bunch are usually there before it is time to serve anyways!

• GrumpyGranny likes this

#19 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:23 PM

Italian theme is cool. Could do pizza, garlic bread, salad... One of the ladies there last night mentioned she was trying to go vegan (she ate mac&cheese though, so I think she meant vegetarian.)

I've been promising Patricia some salmon croquettes. I've never made them before but I'm going to see if I can find a way to make them Italian! Lol!

I will also bring some flavored creamer and coffee.
  • GrumpyGranny and backinthegame like this

#20 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

I like this idea a lot! I think we could serve drinks too, we could always do that before the food since a bunch are usually there before it is time to serve anyways!

you mean, like cocktails? lol... j/k
  • Tina likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users