24 replies to this topic

#1 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:20 PM

WHAS & ESPN say it's Petrino...

A person familiar with the situation says Western Kentucky coach Bobby Petrino has interviewed with Louisville for its opening. According to Joe Schad, ESPN's National College Football reporter, Bobby Petrino has been offered and is expected to become the next Louisville coach per source close to the decision on Jan. 8.

http://www.whas11.co...-239188341.html

#2 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

From wiki....

In April 2012, Petrino was involved in a motorcycle crash in Arkansas while sliding off Highway 16 near Crosses. He was riding with former Arkansas All-SEC volleyball player Jessica Dorrell, whom he had hired on March 28 as the student-athlete development coordinator for the football program after serving as a fundraiser in the Razorback Foundation. Petrino initially said he was alone. However, on April 6, just minutes before a police report was to be released showing Dorrell was also aboard, Petrino revealed that Dorrell was not only a passenger, but that he had been conducting an adulterous relationship with her. Athletic director Jeff Long placed Petrino on an indefinite paid leave of absence while he reviewed the situation.

On April 10, Long announced that Petrino had been fired. During Long's investigation, it was discovered that Petrino made a previously undisclosed $20,000 cash gift to Dorrell as a Christmas present. It was also revealed that Dorrell may have received preferential treatment in her hiring to the football staff, as Petrino's relationship with Dorrell was not disclosed and Petrino was on the hiring committee. Long determined that Petrino's attempts to mislead both him and the public about the accident and his relationship with Dorrell were grounds to fire Petrino for cause.[2][14][15] Long also determined that the $20,000 payment could expose Arkansas to a sexual harassment suit if Petrino were retained.[16] Petrino was succeeded by his mentor, Smith, who had been the Arkansas special teams coach before briefly taking the head coaching job at Weber State.

#3 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:20 PM

From wiki....

In April 2012, Petrino was involved in a motorcycle crash in Arkansas while sliding off Highway 16 near Crosses. He was riding with former Arkansas All-SEC volleyball player Jessica Dorrell, whom he had hired on March 28 as the student-athlete development coordinator for the football program after serving as a fundraiser in the Razorback Foundation. Petrino initially said he was alone. However, on April 6, just minutes before a police report was to be released showing Dorrell was also aboard, Petrino revealed that Dorrell was not only a passenger, but that he had been conducting an adulterous relationship with her. Athletic director Jeff Long placed Petrino on an indefinite paid leave of absence while he reviewed the situation.
On April 10, Long announced that Petrino had been fired. During Long's investigation, it was discovered that Petrino made a previously undisclosed $20,000 cash gift to Dorrell as a Christmas present. It was also revealed that Dorrell may have received preferential treatment in her hiring to the football staff, as Petrino's relationship with Dorrell was not disclosed and Petrino was on the hiring committee. Long determined that Petrino's attempts to mislead both him and the public about the accident and his relationship with Dorrell were grounds to fire Petrino for cause.[2][14][15] Long also determined that the $20,000 payment could expose Arkansas to a sexual harassment suit if Petrino were retained.[16] Petrino was succeeded by his mentor, Smith, who had been the Arkansas special teams coach before briefly taking the head coaching job at Weber State.

Yea, he fits right in with Pitino...
  • IntegrityMatters and JHS1982 like this

#4 SIwatcher

SIwatcher

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:51 PM

Table for 4 !!

#5 HouseFullOfBoys

HouseFullOfBoys

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:14 AM

As a UL Athletics Supporter and season ticket holder for Football and Basketball, I support the hiring of Petrino.
It is Tom Jurich’s job to land the BEST coach for Louisville. A coach that will take us into the ACC with guns blaring. UL football was an exciting game to watch under Petrino’s lead before and it will be that way again!
Petrino may have a sketchy personal life, but he only has to answer to God and his family with his infidelities. The man never once blasted the fans, never once spoke ill of the fans, and has stated he regretted leaving UL the way he did. In the past he was a young coach looking for the next big payday and as everyone knows -> Money talks.
If the fans can forgive him, who are non UL supporters to judge?
People who live in glass houses should not throw stones :thumbsup:
  • backinthegame and Ray Lawrence Parker like this

#6 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:25 AM

If the fans can forgive him, who are non UL supporters to judge?
People who live in glass houses should not throw stones :thumbsup:

He is paid with tax dollars right?

#7 CardinalKen

CardinalKen

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:26 AM

Well said House. I have to trust Jurich to make the best decision. My concern with the "rising co-oridinators" is they would have a good season or two and be on their way. Much like Pitino, Petrino has been to the majors, both on the professional and college level, and now can settle in at the University of Louisville. I look forward to a high powered offense and possible ACC championships and maybe beyond.
  • HouseFullOfBoys, backinthegame and Ray Lawrence Parker like this

#8 HouseFullOfBoys

HouseFullOfBoys

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:36 AM

There are a lot of people who are paid with tax dollars who have done a lot worse than what Bobby Petrino has done.
  • Ray Lawrence Parker likes this

#9 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:19 AM

First and foremost... these people are educators that should lead by example. It's great that they win... but without integrity it sends the wrong message to our students.

Oh... btw I am a UofL fan... I can disagree with their coaching decisions and still be a fan...

I would have fired Pitino for what he did... and I would have never hired Petrino again...

UofL just whored itself out again is all... money really can buy most anything huh?
  • IntegrityMatters, CaptainPicard, JHS1982 and 1 other like this

#10 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:21 AM

There are a lot of people who are paid with tax dollars who have done a lot worse than what Bobby Petrino has done.

Agreed, but few of them have a contract with a morals clause.
Either way, I do not have a dog in this one.
I worked U of L basketball games for 16 years, I was happy to see tricky Rick leave Freedom hall.

I wish the university well.

#11 Ray Lawrence Parker

Ray Lawrence Parker

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

Unlike many in our harsh society, I believe that those who have fallen should be allowed an opportunity to redeem themselves. Many critics of this move are self-righteous moralists sitting on high horses, and they will never agree to that. Petrino is the best available football coach. As a Louisville alumnus and long-time football season ticket holder, I support the hire.
  • HouseFullOfBoys likes this

#12 Peanut

Peanut

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

What will happen when something better comes along? Will Petrino leave again? IMO, I think bringing him back to U of L was a huge mistake. I do hope I'm wrong. We will just have to wait and see. I too am a fan of U Of L football and basketball.
  • JHS1982 likes this

#13 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

What will happen when something better comes along? Will Petrino leave again? IMO, I think bringing him back to U of L was a huge mistake. I do hope I'm wrong. We will just have to wait and see. I too am a fan of U Of L football and basketball.

His buyout is ten million... That'll keep him on point for a while...

#14 JHS1982

JHS1982

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:21 AM

I'm NOT in any way, shape, or form a UofL Athletic fan, but this hire (re-hire?) proves ONE THING about the UofL Athletics Administration (i.e. Tom Jurich & President Ramsey), especially when it comes to football & basketball: IT'S WIN AT ALL COSTS!! What Petrino does in his personal life is one thing. But to lie & deceive EVERY employer you've worked for?? UNBELIEVABLE they would hire him......AGAIN!!!

And if I hear one more UofL fan say "he's a changed man.....look what he did at WKU," I'm gonna puke!! Hell yeah he "did what he did" at WKU because THAT was the only gig he could find & still stay in D-I football. No one else was willing to touch him with a 10' pole. He knew if he screwed that up, HE WAS DONE.....FOR GOOD!! R I G H T.....he's really a "changed man." Uh.......did he NOT just screw over WKU by leaving early.....reneging on a contract he signed with them because "something better came along??" HELL YES HE DID!! Yet UofL fans justify that move as a "technicality" by saying "no one expected him to be there long term." Sure.....whatever makes you guys feel good & sleep at night in an attempt to justify this move in your minds!! If "no one" expected him to be at WKU "long term," WHY did he sign a multi-year contract @ WKU?? You would think a "changed man" & someone who is "now loyal" would stay with the ONLY PROGRAM willing to hire him for more than one season!! Hahaha.....yeah....he's a "changed man'"alright!! A leopard doesn't change its spots, & a lying, unloyal, scumbag MULTIPLE TIMES OVER will remain a lying, unloyal scumbag!! In addition to Louisville, just ask the folks in Atlanta (where he lied & walked out on them IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT with 3 games remaining in the season!!) and the folks in Arkansas (which lie do you want me to re-hash from there??) what a "fine, upstanding guy" he is.

Give me a break!!! No, UofL made a "win at all costs" decision here. How sad for the university & the integrity of the athletic program!!!

But on a happier note. I purchased a whole case of "commemorative Bobby Petrino K-Y Jelly" for all my UofL friends for when he screws you over.....AGAIN!!

Just my opinion.....stinks as bad as Bobby's lying breath!!

Rod Daily

Edited by JHS1982, 10 January 2014 - 12:45 AM.

• Buckeye and Peanut like this

#15 Ray Lawrence Parker

Ray Lawrence Parker

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:05 AM

I'm NOT in any way, shape, or form a UofL Athletic fan, but this hire (re-hire?) proves ONE THING about the UofL Athletics Administration (i.e. Tom Jurich & President Ramsey), especially when it comes to football & basketball: IT'S WIN AT ALL COSTS!! What Petrino does in his personal life is one thing. But to lie & deceive EVERY employer you've worked for?? UNBELIEVABLE they would hire him......AGAIN!!!

And if I hear one more UofL fan say "he's a changed man.....look what he did at WKU," I'm gonna puke!! Hell yeah he "did what he did" at WKU because THAT was the only gig he could find & still stay in D-I football. No one else was willing to touch him with a 10' pole. He knew if he screwed that up, HE WAS DONE.....FOR GOOD!! R I G H T.....he's really a "changed man." Uh.......did he NOT just screw over WKU by leaving early.....reneging on a contract he signed with them because "something better came along??" HELL YES HE DID!! Yet UofL fans justify that move as a "technicality" by saying "no one expected him to be there long term." Sure.....whatever makes you guys feel good & sleep at night in an attempt to justify this move in your minds!! If "no one" expected him to be at WKU "long term," WHY did he sign a multi-year contract @ WKU?? You would think a "changed man" & someone who is "now loyal" would stay with the ONLY PROGRAM willing to hire him for more than one season!! Hahaha.....yeah....he's a "changed man'"alright!! A leopard doesn't change its spots, & a lying, unloyal, scumbag MULTIPLE TIMES OVER will remain a lying, unloyal scumbag!! In addition to Louisville, just ask the folks in Atlanta (where he lied & walked out on them IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT with 3 games remaining in the season!!) and the folks in Arkansas (which lie do you want me to re-hash from there??) what a "fine, upstanding guy" he is.

Give me a break!!! No, UofL made a "win at all costs" decision here. How sad for the university & the integrity of the athletic program!!!

But on a happier note. I purchased a whole case of "commemorative Bobby Petrino K-Y Jelly" for all my UofL friends for when he screws you over.....AGAIN!!

Just my opinion.....stinks as bad as Bobby's lying breath!!

Rod Daily

For someone who is admittedly not a Louisville athletic fan, you seem to be quite passionate about the subject. Far from a fan, you sound like a hater to me.
  • JHS1982 likes this

#16 Peanut

Peanut

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:04 AM

I still feel in my heart of hearts U of L made a huge MISTAKE. Look at the Indianapolis Colts, I was very sad when they got rid of Peyton Manning. However, look at Andrew Luck, great quarterback and so far a great guy. We may not go to the super bowl this year but we are still in at the time. My point is, there is always someone better out there. You just have to look for him. U of L had time to find a new coach.
  • JHS1982 likes this

#17 JHS1982

JHS1982

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:24 AM

For someone who is admittedly not a Louisville athletic fan, you seem to be quite passionate about the subject. Far from a fan, you sound like a hater to me.

You pegged me, Ray!! I AM a hater, as this decision is EXACTLY what's wrong with college athletics!! What's more disturbing are the fan bases who try to "justify" these types of hires / decisions with, "Well.....he wins games, and W's pack stadiums!!" Just as Q stated above, UofL has "whored" itself out with this decision. What's worse, Louisville set a horrible precedent when they let Rick Pitino get away with his "indescretion," even though he had a "morality clause" in his contract......but hey, Rick won a National Championship last year, so to Louisville fans, it's "move along.....nothing to see here folks." So the Petrino decision? I wouldn't expect anything different from the Louisville Athletic Administration.....after all, they have that "track record." I would HATE to think that the college I support has TWO head coaches in their major sports that have the reputation of those two. But like I said in my original post.....it's win at all costs!!

Now before you say, "Well who do you support?", I'll make it clear I am an Indiana graduate and fan. At the end of his tenure, I was GLAD to see Bobby Knight go and was vocal about it. I was scared to death of what he was going to do next to embarrass the university!! And before they hired "Kelvin Sanction" I wrote letters to the A.D. and trustees that there was NO WAY they should consider hiring him, and when they did, I spoke out against my university. As a matter of fact, if we could go back to the the old "Hey Martha / Evening News" forum (I think it was there?), you would see that I WAS NOT happy with the Sampson hire and made it known. I supported the players and the team, but I did not support Sampson......called him a scumbag then, and yes he's STILL a scumbag!! Look what he did for us!! So I'm not one of those "sellout fans" that backs my university at all costs when I feel they made a horrible mistake in their hire.

So call me a "hater" if you want. But I'm pretty proud of the fact that I'm not one of those fans that sees things through "biased eyes" when my university screws up!!

I'll set one of those tubes of K-Y Jelly to the side for you, Ray. :thumbsup:

Happy Friday everyone!!

Rod Daily
  • IntegrityMatters, Buckeye and Peanut like this

#18 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:52 PM

I just wonder if Petrino had been a college professor who had behaved this way and was fired, would the university rehire him? I doubt it very, very much. It is sad that we "forgive" so much just to win a game. And it is sadder that we pay someone $3.5 million (I think that's what I heard) a year to coach ball games! I don't think any super great professors make near that amount. We value sports far more than education. Very sad.

#19 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

Interesting....
  • Quasar likes this

#20 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:40 PM

I just wonder if Petrino had been a college professor who had behaved this way and was fired, would the university rehire him? I doubt it very, very much. It is sad that we "forgive" so much just to win a game. And it is sadder that we pay someone $3.5 million (I think that's what I heard) a year to coach ball games! I don't think any super great professors make near that amount. We value sports far more than education. Very sad.

It is big business... really has nothing to do with education these days.

Last I looked the University of Louisville Athletic Association, Inc. had a budget of about eighty million dollars and has assets in excess of two hundred million dollars. As with most things, just follow the money...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users