#1 Stirring the Pot

Stirring the Pot

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:53 PM

http://www.newsandtr...ny-road-project

Although I'm a Clarksville dweller, between my VA doctor and IUS I'm up on Grant Line Road quite a bit and like to go out Mt. Tabor Road to get there. It needs the facelift and widening something awful but a roundabout at the Klerner Lane intersection was a really, REALLY bad idea from the get-go. It was, in my opinion, totally pointless, I doubt it would've helped anything, and would have taken up a lot of perfectly good front yard to install. As busy as that intersection can get at times--and I've seen it get mighty busy--it might not be a bad idea for N'Albany to consider putting a stoplight there. Kudos to the higher-up types for listening to the people, it's not something that happens a lot around here. . .
  • thirsty and Tina like this

#2 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

These things have confounded drivers in New England for years. I wonder who transplanted this hideous idea to the heartland! They are springing up in severaal places around here. You should try to negotiate one in a large vehicle!
  • Tina likes this

#3 Debbie

Debbie

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:04 PM

These things have confounded drivers in New England for years. I wonder who transplanted this hideous idea to the heartland! They are springing up in severaal places around here. You should try to negotiate one in a large vehicle!

Although I can see the problem with Mt. Tabor due to the private property that the government would have had to take to build one there, in general I don't understand the negative reaction to them.

What do you mean they have confounded drivers in New England for years? How do you know?

I think they are pretty cool when used on roads that would have had 4 way stops in particular because most of the time you can just keep rolling instead of having to come to a complete stop, which is sooo stupid when no one else is around.
  • Beading Lady likes this

#4 Teresa Fisher

Teresa Fisher

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

Twenty years ago I did a little driving in Massachusetts (and I've encountered them in England, too), and I absolutely hated them. I was never sure whose turn it was, and it appeared no one else was either. Sometimes you just have to barrel on through and hope for the best. Locals say they lead to "arrival of the fittest."
  • kelley and Oldgoat like this

#5 Debbie

Debbie

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:48 PM

Here's a Mythbusters episode on roundabouts:

#6 Teresa Fisher

Teresa Fisher

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

The most important statistic wasn't tested. In a real world situation, how many wrecks would happen in each kind of intersection?

#7 Debbie

Debbie

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:28 AM

The most important statistic wasn't tested. In a real world situation, how many wrecks would happen in each kind of intersection?

Couldn't that be tested easily just using real world data? I wonder what the wreck data is on the Daisy Lane roundabout. I haven't heard of a rash of wrecks there have you? I would imagine wrecks might actually go up slightly if a 4 way is replaced by a roundabout and if so, I would predict that it would go down after people who aren't used to them learn how to use them.

And after a time, all the new drivers would think nothing of it because they "grew up" using them. With changes like this, it's always the people who have to go through a change in their old patterns that have the greatest struggle.

#8 Teresa Fisher

Teresa Fisher

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:39 AM

The roundabout on Daisy Lane doesn't seem like any roundabout I've tried to negotiate before. I've never had any trouble getting through it. Previous roundabouts were confusing and dangerous. Maybe Daisy Lane has an improved design.

#9 Will Ouyang

Will Ouyang

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:42 AM

New User, first post.

Just asserting a few points:

1) in the cool video [I've never seen. thanks!]

• 9:45min into mythbuster video above shows results
  • 385 cars in 15 min with 4 way stop; 
  • 460 cars in 15 minutes with round-about.

2) building a 4 way stop is definitely cheaper than a round-about, [less construction]

3) but building a 4 way traffic light is far-far more expensive: [source: google it]

• $55,000 to $75,000 per light, [LEDs don't work well in snow/ice]
  • $22,500 for magnetic loops,
  • $55,000 for construction and engineering.

4) asserting my own preferences, round-abouts seems more visually appealing; prevents people from blowing through stop signs like a bandit, and forces them to slow down; far less annoying than a speed bump; more thru-put of traffic.

• kelley and Tina like this

#10 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:22 PM

Although I can see the problem with Mt. Tabor due to the private property that the government would have had to take to build one there, in general I don't understand the negative reaction to them.

What do you mean they have confounded drivers in New England for years? How do you know?

I think they are pretty cool when used on roads that would have had 4 way stops in particular because most of the time you can just keep rolling instead of having to come to a complete stop, which is sooo stupid when no one else is around.

I've driven in New England extensively.  I guess perhaps the people could just be bad drivers but it always seemd to me that the roundabout confused people. As I stated above, try to get through one with a truck or even pulling a trailer with your car.  There accidents at stop signs happen because people don't stop or wait their turn and they hit another vehicle.  In a roundabout they might hit two or three if they fail to yield. I have driven as part of my job for over 40 years.  We don't need no steenkin roundies round here!

#11 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:59 PM

Edited by Oldgoat, 30 August 2015 - 09:59 PM.

#12 Ray

Ray

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 08:24 PM

Roundabouts are way to progressive for the average driver. Reminds me of years ago when the dimmer switch was moved from the floor to the steering wheel.  Too many old people were having wrecks it seems. They kept getting their foot stuck in the steering wheel. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users