• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:14 AM

At the 12/26 council meeting, Sellersburg's town councilmen unanimously voted to change the election method for district councilmen. Instead of town-wide voting, district councilmen will now be elected by those they serve in their respective district. This is a much better method, insuring that the voters of a specific district actually get the person they want on the council. Under the old town-wide method, voters from out side a district could dictate the winner. Kudos to councilmen Meyer, Rhodes, Lockhart, Lankford, and LaMaster for showing the wisdom and character to make this change.

See the N&T story here:

http://www.newsandtr...oting-structure
  • GrumpyGranny, Quasar, Oldgoat and 1 other like this

#2 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:31 AM

Good!

#3 Beerguy

Beerguy

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:27 PM

Ironic that they would make a change like this right after an ugly annexation. I'd say they want to make sure that the newly annexed area cannot vote against all of them. Now we can only vote for one district, and not even this year. They knew there was enough anger in the annexed areas that there was not a chance in the world that any of them would have gotten a vote from the people forcibly annexed. Now they have shunted our vote to "our" district, and our so called representative is not even on the ballot for us to vote on.

I also must not have been home when they were going around contacting people about this change.

Edited by Beerguy, 19 December 2013 - 09:36 PM.

#4 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:27 PM

Yes.

I assumed they don't want the town to have five angry Covered Bridge town council members. :wink:

But regardless of their motivation, I think it is a better policy.

#5 Beerguy

Beerguy

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

While it might be a better policy in the end, where were the public meetings? Does anyone here remember being contacted about this change? A quote in the newspaper that they were out asking the public and that this is what they wanted always sounds more to me that this is what they wanted and they asked no one about it.

I have not even been able to find a map of the districts yet, let alone the meeting minutes for this meeting

#6 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:01 AM

I was not contacted about it but it wasn't done in a closed door meeting.

Citizens have a responsibility to go to city/town/county council meetings. The few [Sellersburg town council meetings] that I have been to usually have less than 10 people in attendance, and usually the others there are to petition for something. I'm usually the only one there just to witness the meeting.

This is why our country is in the mess it is in. We expect our leaders to tell us when they are going to screw us? (not that I think this was a "screw", I'm in favor of this change)

If you want to keep government in check - you HAVE to go to the public meetings! That's why they have them!

Edited by Tina, 20 December 2013 - 11:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users