• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 TomD

TomD

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:09 AM

The start of construction on Clarksville's New Tech School marks a step forward in local education.

See the WDRB-TV story here:
http://www.wdrb.com/...ssroom-learning
The N&T and the CJ also have print versions of the story.

According to the N&T article:

“This is not another Prosser, and I always use that phrase when I answer the question. It is not a vocational education school,” Knott [Dr. Kim Knott, CCSC superintendent] said. “It is a high tech school; we will use technology on a regular basis. It is a school where students create problems and solve problems using that technology.”

Students will use problem-based projects to learn under the direction of teachers, but students will play a big role in determining the school’s rules and other aspects of its culture.

“It’s not for all students, but we understand it will be for many students,” Knott said. “It truly will be about teaching that engages all students, using technology that allows students to solve very complex problems in a culture that empowers them to believe that they can accomplish anything that they choose.”

The new school will use a portion of the old Value City Department Store building on Eastern Blvd, thus helping preserve part of a building that contributed to the establishment of Clarksville as a major retail hub. Unfortunately, a large portion of the building will be torn down.

For more information on New Tech Schools:
http://www.newtechnetwork.org/

#2 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:14 AM

New Tech brings a new way of learning and a new approach to a typical high school setting. I hope it is successful. However, it will most likely pull many students from surrounding districts -- GCCS, West Clark, etc.-- not all students will come from Clarksville. The goal of the school is to have an enrollment of approx. 600. Since GCCS was so strongly opposed to an additional elementary school in the area, I wonder why they have not cried out against New Tech? Students from GCCS who opt to go to New Tech will also take money away from GCCS. New Tech will give parents and students a choice --- just like many charter schools do. I fail to see how you can support one and not the other.

#3 grayarea

grayarea

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:22 AM

Just read the N&T story on the "lowdown" of the School.

Its more of a rosy thing highlighting successes in other places. But, it fails to answer any of the questions I raised above. Shea, help us out here if you're still reading us...

1.) A town asset was primarily, destroyed. Half of it is being renovated into the Academy. Since Clarksville is made up of two school systems, how does my property taxes...

a.) Reflect a "credit" for the destruction of the town asset that at one time was discussed as the home of a business with 500 employees. The employment and other taxes on that business would have eased my tax burden...or could have found some way to lessen the burden of sewer rate increases. Maybe it could have put me on even par with those in a nearby neighborhood that are hardly paying property taxes at all.

b.) Reflect a "credit" since I live in Clarksville. Yet, the school system I pay taxes to doesn't seem to be receiving an equal share of the enrollment from what I read.

I am all for better education. But, I want a breakdown on how this effects a taxpayer, in Clarksville, who lives in the Greater Clark School System?

#4 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:55 PM

Integrity Matters......

Don't be fooled, care to guess how many kids are enrolled.......

Better question,  Guess how many are from outside Clarksville...

#5 Avid Reader

Avid Reader

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:13 PM

Integrity Matters......

How many students are from outside Clarksville? It appears you know the answer, would you mind sharing?

#6 grayarea

grayarea

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:03 AM

Integrity Matters......

According to this morning's N&T, there is about 45 enrolled. From the reading more of the article, the majority of those are from Clarksville. It says others are coming from "other districts". My questions above remain the same. A town asset was somehow destroyed in part, essentially donated with no gain in revenue, and I see no reduction in taxes. My property taxes feed GCCS and the Town. For those of us that live in the town and pay GCCS taxes, where do we gain by the actions of the council (primarily Popp) in giving away this valuable asset? I could go further into why isn't there an equal, or proportional, amount of GCCS students enrolled that live in Clarksville, but with all my children now through school, I'll leave that for the younger parents to worry about...

• apirateatheart likes this

#7 Poppie

Poppie

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

Gonna go out on a limb here and probably get some heat... But that whole area by value city needs to demolished. It's a major eyesore. Where's the downside here?

#8 grayarea

grayarea

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

The downside, as I see it, is that building that is being partly demolished and part of it being rebuilt into this school was "owned" by the town.

Not long ago, an out of area firm approached the council about the property wanting to put an office there that would have employed 500 people if I remember correctly. Instead, the property has been nearly given to the schools to run the program. We lost the opportunity to draw taxes off that company and its employees.

As of the other day, 45 students had enrolled in the program...the majority of those from the Clarksville school system. A good part of the students (and their taxpaying guardians) in Clarksville attend Greater Clark Schools. How do I know I am getting a fair shake tax-wise?

In the end, I simply want to know that my taxes going to Clarksville are not being shortchanged due to the project and pattern of enrollment. So far, no has stepped up to explain.

#9 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:55 AM

PLEASE tell me who will be the new Leader of C villa Middle??

#10 Avid Reader

Avid Reader

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

Looks like the building is being prepped and ready. There was an open house for students and prospective students last Thursday. 

#11 Holy Cow

Holy Cow

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:25 PM

I have done some research on New Tech, which is the model for the new school. It is quite interesting and impressive.

The entire concept is built around the idea that schools should prepare students for the 21st century workplace using technology and project-based instruction.

Without any consideration to any of that, I have a different take. The education debate at all levels (national, state and local) always comes back to one of local control. Using this project as a catalyst, Couldn't the Clarksville community become a lighthouse for that concept? Think about it, a town with the resources of Clarksville could work hand in glove with a school corporation that is landlocked and experiencing steady enrollment decline and make it a showcase; thus attracting students from all neighboring districts. That type of inter-governmental cooperation is the very definition of local control. Plus, this type of relationship could go a long way in restoring strong community pride back into the schools.

Just a thought.

Edited by Holy Cow, 21 July 2014 - 07:31 PM.

#12 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

If the school does not make it, Im told the building goes back to the Town not the school system.

Im more worried about the Middle School and High School.

#13 Avid Reader

Avid Reader

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:29 PM

If the school does not make it, Im told the building goes back to the Town not the school system.

Im more worried about the Middle School and High School.

Does anyone know the answer to this question? After asking around, there are less than 100 students enrolled at the new school and original plan was to have 200 by this time. The classes at the high school are over crowded with fewer teachers, but this school has 7 or 8 teachers for less than 100 kids. The high school has less than 30 teachers for almost 4 times the number of kids. Doesn't seem like sound management.

#14 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:44 AM

It is a terrible situation, board members and

leaders will not discuss number of students.

Perhaps Integrity Matters could help us.

#15 Avid Reader

Avid Reader

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:35 PM

Is there a way to move this thread to the education forum instead of Clarksville? I am sure more people would view it there and quite possibly someone could answer the questions posed earlier.

Edited by Avid Reader, 02 August 2015 - 02:36 PM.

• Indykap likes this

#16 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:40 PM

Moved...

• Avid Reader and Donna like this

#17 Avid Reader

Avid Reader

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:41 PM

Many thanks to you GG!

• GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#18 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:33 PM

They need an incentive for the students.  Different hours, outside classroom work or study, something to make the kids want to go there.

• Tina likes this

#19 Sleepy

Sleepy

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:12 AM

The problem with Clarksville is Leadership.   This is a well known problem

#20 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:36 AM

Charter Schools USA has been approved to open a school in the Clarksville area. Not sure what grade level it will be yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users