14 replies to this topic

#1 technology overloaded

technology overloaded

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:41 PM

the charlestown state park has closed rose island until august of next year. they are going to fill in the swimming pool with cement, install new signage and some displays for both rose island and fern grove. rose island currently held the parks newest hiking trail which will unfortunately be unavailable till next year. sad to see it be closed that long but i hope they make some awesome improvements. also at the park, the former river ridge housing which is very dilapadated and overgrown is in the process of being demolished to make room for the new inn at the state park. although that area of the park has been closed to the public ofr years im sure some of you have been up there and took a look around or may have even lived there. since the lousy copper theives basically cleaned out the buildings there aint much left to see up there anyways. let alone the asbestos in the rec center.

#2 Buckeye

Buckeye

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:29 AM

There is still good hiking on trail three without Rose Island. Filling that pool is going to take a lot of concrete. When I first toured the island, the first thing I thought of was how long it would take before some idiot crossed through the fence to get to the pool. I have also noticed there are signs telling people there is no jumping from the bridge ....more idiots taking risks. Either way, I am very thankful for the Charlestown State Park and I take advantage of their wonderful hiking trails all year long.

#3 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:45 AM

Hate to hear that Rose Island is going to be closed for awhile but I'm sure it will be nice when they get done. Hope they leave as much of it as they can natural. That hill going down there and coming back up is a real killer on legs.
Have they started tearing down the houses in the housing area? Haven't been up there in awhile. (tours of course) The housing should never have been allowed to go to pot---gov. waste. We lived there yrs ago and houses were really nice but they are pretty much striped and really in sad sad shape. We lived in house #15. We hike at the park a couple times a week and we are very lucky to have it so close.

#4 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:48 AM

I'm not familiar with the "river ridge housing" area and didn't know about the new Inn being built. where exactly is that?

#5 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:19 PM

Don't really know how to explain exactly where it is at but it is on a bluff with part of it overlooking the Ohio river. It is not far from Utica. The back right hand side of Charlestown State Park runs into the lower half of it. There is a road that leads up the hill to it but it is fenced off. On the west side is where people use to get to it off Hwy 62 of what use to be Waterline Road at gate 9 (gate long gone and Waterline has been renamed) The houses were built around the time of the war for people in charge of the ammunition plant and then later turned into housing for the military. It has been 30 yrs or so when we lived there but then the houses were great. The only drawback was that people could not just drive up to see you--they would stop people at the gate and call to see if you were home and if you wanted to see them. If you didn't make an effort to get to know people in town you would be very closed off. The kids swam in what was sort of like a large pond with a beach. The water was for fire protection if needed. The ones that used the "pool" hired a life guard for the summer. 2 of my daughters learned to swim there and I was shocked to see how deep it was when I saw it empy. I really hate that they didn't do something with the houses before they fell apart. Ours was a 5 bedroom with 4 bathrooms. Some were smaller and some larger. I can tell you right now--nobody needs 4 bathrooms.
  • GrumpyGranny, kelley and snowman like this

#6 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:38 PM

the charlestown state park has closed rose island until august of next year. they are going to fill in the swimming pool with cement, install new signage and some displays for both rose island and fern grove. rose island currently held the parks newest hiking trail which will unfortunately be unavailable till next year. sad to see it be closed that long but i hope they make some awesome improvements. also at the park, the former river ridge housing which is very dilapadated and overgrown is in the process of being demolished to make room for the new inn at the state park. although that area of the park has been closed to the public ofr years im sure some of you have been up there and took a look around or may have even lived there. since the lousy copper theives basically cleaned out the buildings there aint much left to see up there anyways. let alone the asbestos in the rec center.

The old rec center used to be very nice as well as the swimming hole. Used to be a nice golf course there too. In the early years of the space program there was a NASA tracking station on the Ridge. Lots of memories up there. Good to hear they are planning to do something with it.
  • GrumpyGranny likes this

#7 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:39 PM

There wasn't a golf course when we were there but there were tennis courts in the making. Yes, the old rec center was nice and was well used. It had a bar and a kitchen in it. When we were there parents took turns showing movies and selling the kids candy and popcorn on Fri. nights. The deer were so thick and use to being left alone that I almost got trampled one night going back to our house. It was real dark and the darn thing snorted on me and I think I scared it as much as it did me. Would see herds of 20 to 30 out in the field.
Not 100% positive but I think the life guard seat is down by the train station on display here in Charlestown.

Edited by masey, 06 December 2013 - 09:40 PM.

• GrumpyGranny likes this

#8 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

Don't really know how to explain exactly where it is at but it is on a bluff with part of it overlooking the Ohio river. It is not far from Utica. The back right hand side of Charlestown State Park runs into the lower half of it. There is a road that leads up the hill to it but it is fenced off. On the west side is where people use to get to it off Hwy 62 of what use to be Waterline Road at gate 9 (gate long gone and Waterline has been renamed) The houses were built around the time of the war for people in charge of the ammunition plant and then later turned into housing for the military. It has been 30 yrs or so when we lived there but then the houses were great. The only drawback was that people could not just drive up to see you--they would stop people at the gate and call to see if you were home and if you wanted to see them. If you didn't make an effort to get to know people in town you would be very closed off. The kids swam in what was sort of like a large pond with a beach. The water was for fire protection if needed. The ones that used the "pool" hired a life guard for the summer. 2 of my daughters learned to swim there and I was shocked to see how deep it was when I saw it empy. I really hate that they didn't do something with the houses before they fell apart. Ours was a 5 bedroom with 4 bathrooms. Some were smaller and some larger. I can tell you right now--nobody needs 4 bathrooms.

that's an awesome story and thank you. i have seen that road with the fence down close to the river, i guess that's what you're talking about. just recently discovered the road that runs through the ammo plant from Utica up to the intersection on 62, close to Bethany Gardens. it's pretty cool seeing it for the first time. Probably much more like that in there.
  • kelley likes this

#9 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

that's an awesome story and thank you. i have seen that road with the fence down close to the river, i guess that's what you're talking about. just recently discovered the road that runs through the ammo plant from Utica up to the intersection on 62, close to Bethany Gardens. it's pretty cool seeing it for the first time. Probably much more like that in there.

Gotta remember this was built for military personnel. A lieutenant had to have a bigger house than a sergeant, a captain larger still and by the time they got to the colonel (I briefly dated a colonel's daughter in the late 60s and was in the house a couple of times) the houses were pretty extravagant with 3 car garages, lots of bathrooms and beautiful hardwood floors. Before it went into disrepair, the trees were kept trimmed and many of the nicer houses were visible from Longview Beach, which they overlook.
  • GrumpyGranny and 03marauder like this

#10 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:43 PM

The houses weren't built for military personnel orginially. They were orginially built for executives of the company that was over the plant. Might have been Dupont but not sure. Don't know what year they were turned into military housing. The houses were not your tipical military house--we always said this was a very well kept secret in the military because nobody had hear of the housing when they got to this area. When we lived there the Colonel over the ammunition plant lived in the big house that overlooked Longview Beach. It was a really neat house and had a huge stone patio with stone wall around it. When we were up there last, it looked as if it would be dangerous to go into it. Part of it had fallen in. In front of it was a summer kitchen that I hope they don't bulldoze, but I imagine they will. I think it had been there long before the houses were built there. All of the houses had really nice oak floors and most had wonderful stair bannisters.
When we moved there I don't think the houses, except for the Colonels and the Lieutenant or Captians that was stationed at the ammunition plant, went by rank. I am sure that if a higher rank and lower rank came to the area at the same time the higher would get the larger house but they kept them full, no matter someones rank.

#11 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

The houses weren't built for military personnel orginially. They were orginially built for executives of the company that was over the plant. Might have been Dupont but not sure. Don't know what year they were turned into military housing. The houses were not your tipical military house--we always said this was a very well kept secret in the military because nobody had hear of the housing when they got to this area. When we lived there the Colonel over the ammunition plant lived in the big house that overlooked Longview Beach. It was a really neat house and had a huge stone patio with stone wall around it. When we were up there last, it looked as if it would be dangerous to go into it. Part of it had fallen in. In front of it was a summer kitchen that I hope they don't bulldoze, but I imagine they will. I think it had been there long before the houses were built there. All of the houses had really nice oak floors and most had wonderful stair bannisters.
When we moved there I don't think the houses, except for the Colonels and the Lieutenant or Captians that was stationed at the ammunition plant, went by rank. I am sure that if a higher rank and lower rank came to the area at the same time the higher would get the larger house but they kept them full, no matter someones rank.

Well having lived there you have a better perspective than me. I just remembered that a high school friends whose dad was a Sergeant lived in a little house and the girls I knew whose fathers were a captain and a colonel lived in the big ones. It was military housing in the 1960s and 70s I know. At any rate they were nice places. And yes, when my Dad helped build the plant it was Dupont.

Edited by Oldgoat, 10 December 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#12 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:57 PM

Rank is how most military housing is assigned to people. Depends on your housing allowance. When we moved out there, there was one house empty and that is what we got. There are not a great abundance of military in this area but the houses were always full. It may have been assigned that way and I didn't realize it but can tell you we lucked out!

#13 Woodslover

Woodslover

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:45 AM

Yesterday Park Staff lead a group on a "Sneek Peek" tour.  About 25 people came out and were very excited with the improvements to the site.  I believe they said there will be a grand opening sometime in late spring- early suimmer.

It will be a must see once reopened!  Such an amazing piece of nearly forgotten history.

#14 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:56 AM

a grand opening, nice... do you know if it is accessible now?  or have to wait til the grand opening?

#15 Woodslover

Woodslover

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:38 AM

This was a "sneek Peek" tour.  Afaik , the site is still closed to the public, as they are still working on it.  I'm sure they will let the public know as soon as it opens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users