21 replies to this topic

#1 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:38 AM

Integrity Matters posted this in our December dinner discussion thread:

If we have so many people wanting to help, I would like to suggest that we put together Christmas "bags" -- I read somewhere online about people taking a large gallon size baggie and filling it with items like hotel-size soap samples, toothpaste, toothbrush, shampoo, some candy, small pkgs of Kleenex, etc. etc -- whatever comes to mind that someone might be able to use who is homeless. Each baggie can be different -- some for women/some for men. Our volunteers might be able to solicit some friends and family members to donate items for the bags. If we do this, we need to pass them out directly while people are eating -- not let them just come pick one up at the table since some people unfortunately take more than one! I think we could come up with 40 or so bags if we all pitch in --- that is about how many were at the last meal. What do you think??

I know a few of you expressed an interest, so I thought I'd start a new thread so we can decide if we want to do this. It would be a nice gesture for some who may get very little or nothing for Christmas. We would need a minimum of 40 bags, 50 might be better and we can do it one of two ways...we can collect items and put the bags together at the dinner site or we can put them together at home and bring the completed bags with us. Either way is fine.
  • SandS and Bigfoot like this

#2 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

Sounds like a good idea. I found a place where we can get bulk toothbrushes pretty cheap. 144 for $20. http://www.smilemake...ml#.UpoH8sROM_V

with those we could put several in each bag so they would have one for a bit.
  • GrumpyGranny and SandS like this

#3 Peanut

Peanut

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

That is a great idea. I could make some bags and drop them off. If someone can tell me where to take the bags, that would be wonderful.
  • GrumpyGranny and SandS like this

#4 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

I will put together at least 5 bags and bring them. If we could get 10 people to do 5 bags each, we would quickly meet our need. But if you can only do one or two, that would be great too. Every bag will help. GG, maybe if you posted this in the Jeff forum more people would notice it and volunteer. IM
  • GrumpyGranny likes this

#5 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:35 PM

Peanut, if you want to drop the bags off at the dinner site, it will be December 12th, at the First Presbyterian Church, corner of Walnut and Chestnut in Jeff. If you are unable to drop them there that night, you can drop them at my house if you want to before that date or on that day up to 3:30 PM.

IM, we started purchasing for 5 bags this afternoon. We're planning on 3 mens bags and 2 womens bags. I'm not sure of the ratio of men to women we will be serving that night, of course, but I am assuming there will be more men. Also, putting a thread about the bags in the Jeff forum is a good idea.

I meant to add we did pick up some candy canes and a couple of bags of Christmas candy to add to the bags.

Edited by GrumpyGranny, 30 November 2013 - 05:48 PM.

• IntegrityMatters likes this

#6 backinthegame

backinthegame

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:45 AM

I will put together some bags,I will start collecting items from friends and family:)

#7 Peanut

Peanut

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

GrumpyGranny, I have put together 2 bags, one for a woman and one for a man. Can you tell me what is the best time for me to drop them off at the church on December 12th?

#8 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

I got 5 made up. 3 men 2 women. I picked up a toothbrush & toothbrush holder, toothpaste, bar soap, 10 pack of razors, flashlight, and some candy for each of mine. I put batteries in the flashlights so they would be ready to go. If folks have not purchased stuff for theirs yet Dollar Tree has a 3 pack of toothbrushes and toothbrush holders for $1. That will take care of 3 bags easily.
  • GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#9 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

I will make 5 bags and have a friend that will make 5 bags also.
  • GrumpyGranny and Bigfoot like this

#10 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:51 PM

I will make my 5 for men since we have more men than women. However, most items will be gender-neutral so if we have to give one to a woman, it won't matter too much. They could always give the "male" items to someone else in the camp.
  • GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#11 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:51 PM

GrumpyGranny, I have put together 2 bags, one for a woman and one for a man. Can you tell me what is the best time for me to drop them off at the church on December 12th?

We will start arriving at the church at 4 pm to get things ready, but we don't start serving until between 5:30 and 6:00 if you'd like to bring them while those we serve are there. Shoot, come on by and eat dinner with us! Most of us will be sitting down to eat with those we serve at some point during the dinner hour.
  • Tina and backinthegame like this

#12 RunnerGirl

RunnerGirl

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:04 PM

I am making four bags.

#13 Peanut

Peanut

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

Thank you GrumpyGranny, I will see you then.

#14 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

is the food all covered? i saw dumplings, are we gonna make those from scratch or what? i don't have the time to do any food at home this time around, too much going on next week. but i can be there at 4:00. and i've made dumplings from scratch before.
i will make up some bags also.

#15 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:52 PM

oh, and i just heard it's gonna snow 6-8 inches in the next few days.

#16 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:53 PM

oh, and i just heard it's gonna snow 6-8 inches in the next few days.

Perfect weather for a Snowman!

Hope everyone stays safe this weekend!
  • Tina likes this

#17 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:59 PM

is the food all covered? i saw dumplings, are we gonna make those from scratch or what? i don't have the time to do any food at home this time around, too much going on next week. but i can be there at 4:00. and i've made dumplings from scratch before.

Not sure about the menu, just know that the "easy dumplings" was an epic fail on my part! I can do (store bought) egg noodles though!

#18 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:40 PM

Perfect weather for a Snowman!

:rimshot:
  • Donna likes this

#19 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:56 AM

The "December Dinner Menu" topic is pinned just below this topic in the Team Chatter forum.

I guess we will aim for chicken and noodles instead of dumplings. Anyone up for making some? And do you think we need another veggie? Or dessert?

#20 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:22 AM

The "December Dinner Menu" topic is pinned just below this topic in the Team Chatter forum.

I guess we will aim for chicken and noodles instead of dumplings. Anyone up for making some? And do you think we need another veggie? Or dessert?

if we can cook the noodles at the church i'll be glad to do that. i assume the chicken and broth will be brought in by someone? if that's the case i can put that altogether since i'll be getting there at 4.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users