53 replies to this topic

#21 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:38 PM

The quickest mouths and hands ate the best! LOL!!!
  • GrumpyGranny and masey like this

#22 Overit

Overit

Closed by Request

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:05 AM

Everyone is always welcome at my house but Candi would have to do the teaching!

Edited by Overit, 21 November 2013 - 12:06 AM.

• GrumpyGranny likes this

#23 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:43 AM

I only recently heard about crocheting bed rolls from plastic bags from a neighbor. Seems like a doable project, I just don't know how it's done! I can crochet with yarn, so I just need info on how to do plastic bag bed rolls! Still feel bad that I was unable to attend the ugly quilt brigade! Would Candi be willing to teach? Neighbor & daughter would like to try their hands at this notion!

#24 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:50 AM

Here's a video on crocheting the bedrolls.

• Donna likes this

#25 Overit

Overit

Closed by Request

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:05 AM

That's the video GG!! Thanks

I have no clue how Candi get's everything done .......her plate is way more than full.....but she still finds time to work on these.
I am going to openly brag and say....my daughter is AMAZING!
  • IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny, kelley and 1 other like this

#26 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,098 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:07 AM

I won't be able to be a the dinner on the 12th but can make something and drop it off.

I for one don't care who comes to our dinners to help. I like to meet chatter members but also like to meet the others that come along. Having so many can be a blessing if we work it right. We may have enough people that we could do another night (I cannot always make Thurs.) or take turns serving, cooking, and visiting with our guests. The first night I was at a dinner I did not have time to visit with the guests. This past dinner there was so many helping that I got a little soup and sit down with some women and visited with them. When they left I noticed that Makayla had picked up this man's soup dishes and said something to him and he seemed so surprised and he just looked lonely. I had noticed that he came in alone and hadn't spoken to anyone that I know of. He was on his feet getting ready to leave and I ask him if he had gotten enough to eat. He said he did but to my surprise he set down and started talking. Was a very well spoken person. Said he had been in the service and worked on airplanes yrs ago. One of the things that struck me is that he just needed to talk and one of the things he said is that he always wondered what the people cooking did when they went home. If they had already eaten or if they went home and ate sandwhices or something after they were nice enough to fix all the food. He was wondering about us.

I had felt guilty about getting some soup but decided then that is just as important for us to make contact with the guests as it is to feed them. Some of them may welcome it and others may not. Some of us may not feel comfortable sitting down with them and that is OK. We all do what we can do. I find it a huge blessing to have so many wanting to help. One person can make a dent but just think what a big group could do. We do this to help out others and meeting everyone is just a big bonus.

That were able to sit down and visit is great. It's something we always hope to have enough help to allow for during Loaves and Fishes.

Too many hands is a good problem to have.

Edited by kelley, 21 November 2013 - 08:07 AM.

#27 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:18 AM

Hey chatter folk,
I am doing some checking about the needs in Scott County. Most of the crew that comes with me lives closer to Scottsburg than Jeff anyway. There are plenty of chatter people to man the dinner in Jeff :smile: ....and a few of the people that have told me they want to help have not signed up for CCC yet so they are not members.

Scott County is swamped with poverty so I am sure there is a need we should be able to help with.

I will always be so grateful to Kelley for putting the opportunity to work with Paul on the forum. He is awesome! I will let you guys know how this turns out.

P.S.
I guess Candi won't need the sacks! LOL...does anyone else know how to crochet sleeping mats?

I agree Masey and apologize if I sounded like I didn't want others to participate. I just know that some of the younger ones who come like to have a "job" to do. Makes them feel needed and important. Sometimes I have noticed they are just standing around and don't have anything to do and I didn't want them to feel like they weren't contributing or needed. Maybe if we have others help who aren't Chatter members, they will decide to join Chatter --- and maybe some of us "old folks" could sit with the people as you say and let the other younger ones or new helpers do the serving. And if we continue to have large numbers help, we could decide whether to try a second night. It is nice to meet the Chatter members and their families and do something good for the community as a group. Overit, I certainly didn't intend to hurt your feelings or anyone's with my remarks. I certainly understand why others want to get involved and I am sure, as you say, that there is a great need in Scottsburg and Austin area which is much closer to your home. But I really hope you will still participate in our endeavor --- you and your family have been a great asset. And Mikayla was absolutely fabulous at the last dinner and pitched right in helping carrying soup bowls for people. It was so nice to meet her. I wish I could crochet plastic sleeping mats but I am afraid they wouldn't look like much when I got through! ha Maybe we need another gathering at your house so Candi could teach us!

I certainly don't want to discourage volunteers, Overit, and pretty much agree with IM's post quoted here. Also, I don't have a problem helping on a second night; I have considered doing so as a family thing, at least preparing and delivering the food.

I guess my biggest concern is personal...I don't believe I am physically or mentally able to continue as team leader with a large group of volunteers in addition to our Chatter team members. Too confusing for the ole head to keep up with! At least our Chatter members are able to stay in touch through this forum, and it gives me something to look back on to keep track of food, arrival times, etc. I hate not being able to thank everyone, including volunteers, on the forum because I wasn't able to retain names and relationships. I believe all participants deserve a public acknowledgement of their valuable assistance in our dinner. But, as I said, that is a personal problem of mine and should not play a part in whatever the team prefers, either welcoming more volunteers or choosing to try to take on a second night. I will continue to be a part of Team Chatter...and that's all I am, a part, and I believe we have any number of members more capable of the team leadership roll than I am.
  • IntegrityMatters likes this

#28 backinthegame

backinthegame

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:24 AM

I know my son likes to serve. He is a big boy but he is shy around people so for him to start a conversation is hard. He has been getting better:) myself and my husband can talk you to death. When ever we're needed just let us know. We had a nice time with everyone we don't mind being cheek to cheek lol:)

#29 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:30 AM

That's the video GG!! Thanks

I have no clue how Candi get's everything done .......her plate is way more than full.....but she still finds time to work on these.
I am going to openly brag and say....my daughter is AMAZING!

Bragging is good! If we don't appreciate our kids and their talents, there's something wrong with us!
  • karen likes this

#30 Overit

Overit

Closed by Request

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

I certainly don't want to discourage volunteers, Overit, and pretty much agree with IM's post quoted here. Also, I don't have a problem helping on a second night; I have considered doing so as a family thing, at least preparing and delivering the food.

I guess my biggest concern is personal...I don't believe I am physically or mentally able to continue as team leader with a large group of volunteers in addition to our Chatter team members. Too confusing for the ole head to keep up with! At least our Chatter members are able to stay in touch through this forum, and it gives me something to look back on to keep track of food, arrival times, etc. I hate not being able to thank everyone, including volunteers, on the forum because I wasn't able to retain names and relationships. I believe all participants deserve a public acknowledgement of their valuable assistance in our dinner. But, as I said, that is a personal problem of mine and should not play a part in whatever the team prefers, either welcoming more volunteers or choosing to try to take on a second night. I will continue to be a part of Team Chatter...and that's all I am, a part, and I believe we have any number of members more capable of the team leadership roll than I am.

Not a problem GG, it was just a thought......my brain talking before thinking I guess LOL.
Scott County surely could use some help....we just need to figure out where the need is.
I don't want to overwhelm you or the chatter group. As far as public acknowledgement...I don't think anyone expects it. Actually I would rather avoid it LOL my financial donations go directly into Paul's pocket for that very reason. YOU are the leader and I don't know of anyone that could fill your shoes.

Nathan may continue with your group...I haven't talked with him yet. He likes working with Paul.....going directly into the camps....and Paul had said something about him helping on the Facebook page or something. I am going to try to get him involved in Scott County.....but Paul has made an impact on him. Nathan spends 1 week in the summer with a group called "World Changers"...they repair homes for the very poor or elderly....he is always on the roofing crew. He would like to spend the year after he gets out of college volunteering with them. I don't want him to....selfish I know, but they go to some very unsafe places to work. I don't sleep well til he is back home.... I am hoping that getting involved around here will satisfy his need to volunteer.
  • IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny, kelley and 2 others like this

#31 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

Bravo for Nathan!!! I have always thought that someday I might be like Miss Lillian (Jimmy Carter's mother for those too young to know!) and join the Peace Corps at age 80!! Volunteering is great and it is wonderful to see young people involved.

#32 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:55 AM

Overit-I do hope you find time for our group also.

In a rush right now but wanted to leave this for Granny. I would do everything about planning dinner the same-do it on Team Chatter and not worry about contacting others. That would leave things intact and simpler. Then whoever is bringing someone can give them the info and they can get back to you if they are bringing something-never hurts to have a surprise dish anyway. I think it is a real smart idea to ask who of Team Chatter is coming because that way you will know for sure that there is going to be enough help.

We were raised to thank people for their time but in this case I would say it would almost be impossible and I wouldn't worry about it. I think everyone is doing it because they want to and can almost bet they all have a good feeling about helping. We all need to thank you for taking this on. Thanks!
  • IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny and Tina like this

#33 Overit

Overit

Closed by Request

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

Bravo for Nathan!!! I have always thought that someday I might be like Miss Lillian (Jimmy Carter's mother for those too young to know!) and join the Peace Corps at age 80!! Volunteering is great and it is wonderful to see young people involved.

Maybe I can convince Nathan to wait until he is 80.....or at least until I am gone....I keep telling him I have TONS of volunteer work he can do right here IN MY HOUSE.....he is not buying it though.

#34 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

for the 12th, we're back at St Luke's?

#35 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

for the 12th, we're back at St Luke's?

No, we'll be at First Presbyterian again, Snowman.

#36 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:31 PM

I don't know how to crochet but would be glad to make some "yarn" for the folks that can. That would be something to do when the weather is bad while watching tv.

#37 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:28 PM

No, we'll be at First Presbyterian again, Snowman.

oh ok... so preparing at home then? i read some of the menu ideas, not sure what i could do.

#38 ChopperWoman

ChopperWoman

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:58 PM

Could you boil a big batch of donated chicken and bring it in a pot with the broth? We could cook the dumplings or egg noodles in the broth and rip up the chicken to make chicken and dumplings or chicken and egg noodles.
  • GrumpyGranny, Bigfoot and Donna like this

#39 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

oh ok... so preparing at home then? i read some of the menu ideas, not sure what i could do.

Could you boil a big batch of donated chicken and bring it in a pot with the broth? We could cook the dumplings or egg noodles in the broth and rip up the chicken to make chicken and dumplings or chicken and egg noodles.

CW, we can get a case of chicken from Paul and fix the chicken/dumplins or noodles this way if everyone wants to. We might need some of us to get together a little earlier than this month if we are going to finish cooking the dish at the church.

We would need to get the chicken from Paul a few days in advance if we did it this way since it is frozen. I can volunteer to boil the chic and bring the broth and chic pieces to the church, since I don't work, but I won't volunteer to take the meat off the bone, lol.

Snowman, this is something you could help with...ripping up the chic as CW says. Maybe a couple/few others could, too, and maybe meet at 4 or so, however long we'd need to finish the dish.

What do you all think?
  • Tina likes this

#40 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:51 PM

Or we have time to decide on a different menu...just need some input folks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users