• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:29 AM

Suggestions, folks? VietnamVet68/69 has suggested something Christmas dinnerish, but could be a lot of work right in the middle of the Thanksgiving/Christmas holiday season. All suggestions appreciated!

#2 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:07 AM

GG, I liked your idea of Au Gratin potatoes & ham casserole and Ron's suggestion of Chicken & Dumplings. Found an easy recipe for dumplings involving Grands biscuit dough. Is Pillsbury a donor to Exit 0 Ministries?
  • GrumpyGranny likes this

#3 Overit

Overit

Closed by Request

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

GG, I have a few more that want to help out. My group would include.......... Sheila and Grace.......Candi and Nathan...............Makayla and I.....Joyce......Michelle....and possibly a few from the youth group at Candi's church. It seems like more and more are interested in helping. Do you think we have enough to split into 2 groups that could cover 2 nights? If everyone shows up at one time we will be walking on each other.....a great problem to have!
  • GrumpyGranny, Bigfoot and Donna like this

#4 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:43 PM

That is great to hear so many folks want to get involved!!
  • GrumpyGranny and Tina like this

#5 Overit

Overit

Closed by Request

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:45 PM

Paul said he has a LOT of chicken that needs to be used. I would be happy to use some of his supplies and then donate cash to him instead of buying from the grocery. I know his expenses are high right now because of winter. We could maybe use the chicken for dumplings .......noodles.......baked with dressing....chicken vegetable soup......chicken salad.....all sorts of goodies.
  • GrumpyGranny, Bigfoot, Tina and 1 other like this

#6 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

Does Exit 0 provide a meal on Christmas day?

#7 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:05 PM

GG, I have a few more that want to help out. My group would include.......... Sheila and Grace.......Candi and Nathan...............Makayla and I.....Joyce......Michelle....and possibly a few from the youth group at Candi's church. It seems like more and more are interested in helping. Do you think we have enough to split into 2 groups that could cover 2 nights? If everyone shows up at one time we will be walking on each other.....a great problem to have!

Paul said he has a LOT of chicken that needs to be used. I would be happy to use some of his supplies and then donate cash to him instead of buying from the grocery. I know his expenses are high right now because of winter. We could maybe use the chicken for dumplings .......noodles.......baked with dressing....chicken vegetable soup......chicken salad.....all sorts of goodies.

Wow, Overit, you're a great recruiter! Keep it up and you'll have a team of your own! There's an idea...Team Overit; with your group and any of the Team Chatter members who would like to join you.

Last week at the dinner, I spoke with Paul's wife, Michele. She mentioned they have a few nights open; I think it was a couple of Tuesdays and Fridays and one Thursday. We would need to poll our team members to see if any are willing/able to take on a second night or would want to switch to another night. Personally, Ron and I are free just about any time, and would be able to help with a second night, at least preparing and delivering food.

If we were going to tackle a second night, I think we should take advantage of the foodstuff donated to Paul when we can. He also receives donated paper goods we can use. I'm not trying to be cheap here, but buying everything for two dinners could get expensive. Paul has told me that most groups are like ours, wanting to buy everything themselves, but then he may have to turn away donations of foodstuff, like the chicken from Tyson, due to lack of storage space on his end if the groups do not use the donations.

Let's see what the others think...I think Team Chatter is great and it has been a pleasure meeting and getting to know everyone. I'd hate to see the team break apart!
  • Tina and Donna like this

#8 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

If we have so many people wanting to help, I would like to suggest that we put together Christmas "bags" -- I read somewhere online about people taking a large gallon size baggie and filling it with items like hotel-size soap samples, toothpaste, toothbrush, shampoo, some candy, small pkgs of Kleenex, etc. etc -- whatever comes to mind that someone might be able to use who is homeless. Each baggie can be different -- some for women/some for men. Our volunteers might be able to solicit some friends and family members to donate items for the bags. If we do this, we need to pass them out directly while people are eating -- not let them just come pick one up at the table since some people unfortunately take more than one! I think we could come up with 40 or so bags if we all pitch in --- that is about how many were at the last meal. What do you think??
  • GrumpyGranny, Bigfoot, Tina and 3 others like this

#9 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:11 PM

GG, I liked your idea of Au Gratin potatoes & ham casserole and Ron's suggestion of Chicken & Dumplings. Found an easy recipe for dumplings involving Grands biscuit dough. Is Pillsbury a donor to Exit 0 Ministries?

Donna, I will get in touch with Paul or Michele tomorrow to ask about Pillsbury; I don't know if they donate to Exit 0. You may have to share the recipe you found!

We'll let others weigh in on the ham and au gratin potato/chicken and dumplings idea. I will say this...we have enough in donated funds to buy the ham, and we can get a case of chicken legs/thighs from Paul that can be cooked/deboned for the chic/dumplings.
  • Bigfoot and Donna like this

#10 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:43 PM

IM,

I like that idea of gift bags. I have a cousin that works for Dollar Tree in Seymour. I will have to see if she gets a discount. If so we could probably get quite a few disposable razors etc for pretty cheap. She may even have stuff they can't sell that she can donate. I will shoot her a message on facebook to see.
  • IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#11 ChopperWoman

ChopperWoman

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:10 PM

Ham and au gratin potatoes/chicken and dumplings sounds very good to me. Good, stick to your ribs food for a winter night!

Hate to be selfish but I will probably stick with the 2nd Thursday team. If we were to get up another team for another night I would consider helping for the additional night if a team were in a pinch. But I'd have to refrain from committing to two nights on a regular basis.
  • GrumpyGranny, Tina and Donna like this

#12 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:11 PM

Well I guess you can all call me Scrooge if you want to or the Grinch!, but I would like to see us limit the people participating in our dinners to Chatter members only and their immediate families (children/grandchildren, etc.). I think we have always had plenty of help and sometimes a little too much help. Everyone who comes wants to be able to "do" something and participate. If we get too many volunteers, I am afraid people will decide they aren't needed and quit coming. I enjoy meeting other Chatter members -- we have something in common (even if we disagree with one another on the forum! ha). It is fun putting a face to a name. This is a Team Chatter project which was started to not only help Exit O but to build a relationship among our members. So, at least for now, I would like to see us keep the volunteers to ourselves and our immediate family members. Doing this once a month is great --- doing it twice or three times a month may lead to burnout and the project end up falling apart. These are just my thoughts -- not meant to hurt anyone's feelings.
  • GrumpyGranny, Tina and backinthegame like this

#13 backinthegame

backinthegame

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

My day off for the week is Thursday so that night works for me. I do volunteer at my church some Thursday. I can maybe help in a pinch if another night comes open. I like making desserts. I found some new recipes on pintrest. I would love to help anyway I can.

#14 RunnerGirl

RunnerGirl

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:03 PM

Ham and au gratin potatoes and chicken and dumplings sounds like a good plan. We can also adding a vegetable or two and rolls. I can make green bean casserole. The gift bags are a great idea and will start collecting thing. I have enjoyed meeting everyone at these dinners and being able to put a face to the names. As for adding another night, I cannot totally commit, but will be able to help out once in a while if needed.
  • GrumpyGranny and Tina like this

#15 Overit

Overit

Closed by Request

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:02 PM

I didn't intend for anyone to take on 2 nights. I thought we may be able to cover 2 nights between all of us if we split up. Some people can't make it one night but may be able to make it another. I was just thinking if someone couldn't work one Thursday they may be able to work Tuesday instead.

GG you may have an idea...I will work on getting another group together to take a different night. If there are days left that are not covered it would be a shame to turn people that want to help away. I have a few others in mind so I believe I can get another group going without disrupting or putting too much on the Chatter group. It can remain the same.

Candi is crocheting mats to put under sleeping bags... out of grocery sacks. They add cushion and keep the bags off the ground a little....they are feather light and can be rolled up small. Each one takes a LOT of sacks. Please save some for her if you don't mind. If you are feeling bored you could even cut them into strips! I will post a video of how they look and how they should be cut if anyone is interested.
  • IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny, kelley and 4 others like this

#16 Overit

Overit

Closed by Request

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:06 PM

Hey chatter folk,
I am doing some checking about the needs in Scott County. Most of the crew that comes with me lives closer to Scottsburg than Jeff anyway. There are plenty of chatter people to man the dinner in Jeff :smile: ....and a few of the people that have told me they want to help have not signed up for CCC yet so they are not members.

Scott County is swamped with poverty so I am sure there is a need we should be able to help with.

I will always be so grateful to Kelley for putting the opportunity to work with Paul on the forum. He is awesome! I will let you guys know how this turns out.

P.S.
I guess Candi won't need the sacks! LOL...does anyone else know how to crochet sleeping mats?
  • IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#17 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

I won't be able to be a the dinner on the 12th but can make something and drop it off.

I for one don't care who comes to our dinners to help. I like to meet chatter members but also like to meet the others that come along. Having so many can be a blessing if we work it right. We may have enough people that we could do another night (I cannot always make Thurs.) or take turns serving, cooking, and visiting with our guests. The first night I was at a dinner I did not have time to visit with the guests. This past dinner there was so many helping that I got a little soup and sit down with some women and visited with them. When they left I noticed that Makayla had picked up this man's soup dishes and said something to him and he seemed so surprised and he just looked lonely. I had noticed that he came in alone and hadn't spoken to anyone that I know of. He was on his feet getting ready to leave and I ask him if he had gotten enough to eat. He said he did but to my surprise he set down and started talking. Was a very well spoken person. Said he had been in the service and worked on airplanes yrs ago. One of the things that struck me is that he just needed to talk and one of the things he said is that he always wondered what the people cooking did when they went home. If they had already eaten or if they went home and ate sandwhices or something after they were nice enough to fix all the food. He was wondering about us.

I had felt guilty about getting some soup but decided then that is just as important for us to make contact with the guests as it is to feed them. Some of them may welcome it and others may not. Some of us may not feel comfortable sitting down with them and that is OK. We all do what we can do. I find it a huge blessing to have so many wanting to help. One person can make a dent but just think what a big group could do. We do this to help out others and meeting everyone is just a big bonus.

Edited by masey, 20 November 2013 - 09:23 PM.

• IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny, SandS and 3 others like this

#18 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

I agree Masey and apologize if I sounded like I didn't want others to participate. I just know that some of the younger ones who come like to have a "job" to do. Makes them feel needed and important. Sometimes I have noticed they are just standing around and don't have anything to do and I didn't want them to feel like they weren't contributing or needed. Maybe if we have others help who aren't Chatter members, they will decide to join Chatter --- and maybe some of us "old folks" could sit with the people as you say and let the other younger ones or new helpers do the serving. And if we continue to have large numbers help, we could decide whether to try a second night. It is nice to meet the Chatter members and their families and do something good for the community as a group. Overit, I certainly didn't intend to hurt your feelings or anyone's with my remarks. I certainly understand why others want to get involved and I am sure, as you say, that there is a great need in Scottsburg and Austin area which is much closer to your home. But I really hope you will still participate in our endeavor --- you and your family have been a great asset. And Mikayla was absolutely fabulous at the last dinner and pitched right in helping carrying soup bowls for people. It was so nice to meet her. I wish I could crochet plastic sleeping mats but I am afraid they wouldn't look like much when I got through! ha Maybe we need another gathering at your house so Candi could teach us!
  • GrumpyGranny, masey, Donna and 1 other like this

#19 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:01 PM

I've never felt bad about sitting down to eat with them. in fact, most of you can probably tell that is my favorite part!

Paul told us to do so when we first met him at Alice's, so I obeyed! :) Serving means more than just delivering the food to a bowl. The relationships we build with them matter just as much.

Not only is the food good, but so is the fellowship!

So I guess we could say the more the merrier if more are willing to just sit as their service! :)

• GrumpyGranny, kelley, Donna and 1 other like this

#20 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:31 PM

Old habits die hard---I was always afraid that if I took something to eat there might not be enough food for the ones that needed it. Won't feel like that anymore. That may be because I grew up with a huge family. Never hunger but you'd better get your food the first time around the table. LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users