• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:32 AM

This year Exit 0 hopes to collect 900 pair of white socks and 1000 white t-shirts of various sizes for inmates. Also they are trying to collect Ramen Noodles, five packages for each inmate; a total of 4500 packages of Ramen. That's a lot of noodles! Donations will need to be turned in by December 15th.

Check out the event on Facebook... https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/694907250519442/

#2 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:07 PM

I have some connections where I could get the white T-shirts pretty cheap if the Chatter folks want to join together on a donation pool. Sizes S-XL are $1.75 each.

If we order $60 or more the shipping is free.
  • GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#3 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:50 PM

Count me and VietnamVet68/69 in, Bigfoot. We'll get with you in a couple/few days. Thanks!
  • Bigfoot likes this

#4 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:59 PM

Soungs great GG! If anyone else would like to donate I can meet up with you or we can setup a way to send it via PayPal. We will need to have the money collected by Dec 1st in order to get the items shipped in time.

I am also contacting several sock mills in Alabama & Georgia to see if they will donate any or have some discount irregular socks they would sell cheap.

If anyone has any ideas we are always open!
  • GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#5 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

Spastic Legend and Fish Stick are in, too, Bigfoot. They'll throw their donations my way to pass on to you if that's ok with you...

Edited by GrumpyGranny, 15 November 2013 - 05:05 PM.

• Bigfoot likes this

#6 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:11 PM

Sounds great! Thanks Spastic Legend & Fish Stick!!

#7 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:54 AM

Would anyone else like to join in on this drive? If so you can PM myself or GrumpyGranny and we will work out how to get your donation!
  • GrumpyGranny likes this

#8 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

I've got 60 White T-shirts coming in tomorrow!!! If anyone would like to donate some white socks new in the package that would be great or you can donate some money and we can purchase some white socks locally.

During this time of year it's nice to show EVERYONE we still care for them. I look at it as if our gift wakes one person up and they turn their life around and become a productive member of society after they realize people do care then all the work was worth it!

#9 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

Bigfoot, thank you for taking care of ordering the T-shirts...can't believe you could get so many!

#10 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:07 PM

Bigfoot, thank you for taking care of ordering the T-shirts...can't believe you could get so many!

It's quite shocking to see the markup some stores have on clothing. When you can get it wholesale you can mark it up quite a bit. I'm glad I have the connections to be able to put the buying power to use for a good cause!

#11 Exit 0

Exit 0

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:14 AM

Thank you for the donations .... we blessed 550 clark County inmates with socks ramen noodles ..... Jennings County we blessed 150 inmates with a tshirts socks and ramen and a self address stamp envelope. .... we were short on shirt so will go in around easter and bless them then. This will help us gather more shirts.. we can not say thank you enough to the Chatter group for all you do.....Thanks
  • GrumpyGranny and Bigfoot like this

#12 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:16 AM

Glad we could help out!! We got the shirts from www.jiffyshirts.com incase you need a cheap place in the future. They are under $2 per shirt for whites.
  • GrumpyGranny and Tina like this

#13 Poppie

Poppie

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:16 PM

I have some nice men's and women's coats to give away. Anyone know where I could drop them off, not goodwill.? ?

#14 Gabriella

Gabriella

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:12 AM

This is an old post, but it got me curious. What does an inmate do with ramen noodles? Can they just cook up a pack whenever they want?
  • Quasar likes this

#15 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:52 PM

This is an old post, but it got me curious. What does an inmate do with ramen noodles? Can they just cook up a pack whenever they want?

If Indiana's like Kentucky, Yes and no. The inmates at the prison my son used to work at in Kentucky had access to a microwave during certain hours. I don't know much about it; maybe he'll get on here after while and give a better answer.
  • Quasar likes this

#16 Stirring the Pot

Stirring the Pot

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

Howdy! Typically they just toss a little water in them and stick them in the nuker, but there are ways for them to doctor ramen noodles up; I don't know what's offered in the jail canteen on this side of the river but down in KY the prison canteens sell jack mackerel, and once or twice a month a couple inmate would each get a can and make "jack mack", with the mackerel between two layers of ramen noodles in a plastic bowl, microwaved for a few minutes. It stank to high heaven--the whole dorm smelled of fish for hours--but they liked it. Someone usually had a bottle of hot sauce and maybe a packet or two of tartar sauce swiped from the chow hall. One bowl fed two to four guys, depending on how many chipped in. Honestly, with some of the grub them folks can come up with, using a microwave and whatever they can cobble together from the canteen, if they offered culinary arts classes in prison that just might keep some of the repeat offenders out--and make life a little easier on the CO's, too!
  • GrumpyGranny and Bigfoot like this

#17 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

I've had concoctions popular in the pokey and using ramen noodles though I wasn't locked up (at the time, lol). "Slam" and "Cell Block Dip" both come from this culinary tradition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users