316 replies to this topic

#21 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:59 PM

Obama... Wow. just heard his interview on Chris Matthews. Very Nice. And I swear, he used my line. I dunno if I ever wrote that to him or not, but he said, referring to all of the students in the audience, that we are the government... the government is us.

Obama's legacy... by the way... Look at silver spoon boy, down in Texas painting dogs... After he ran up the country's debt, got us in to 2 wars, without paying for them, and ran us in the ditch for real with the greatest recession ever... And he's doing okay, so I'm pretty sure Obama gonna be just fine.

Edited by snowman, 05 December 2013 - 08:01 PM.

#22 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:54 AM

<snip>
Look at silver spoon boy, down in Texas painting dogs... After he ran up the country's debt, got us in to 2 wars, without paying for them, and ran us in the ditch for real with the greatest recession ever... And he's doing okay, so I'm pretty sure Obama gonna be just fine.

I think you just proved my point...

#23 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:56 AM

Obama... Wow. just heard his interview on Chris Matthews. Very Nice. <snip>

I'll have to check that out... seems like a panic move on Obama's part and he had to find the most Obama friendly guy in the country to do it. I'll bet that was some hard hitting journalism there... Did Chris get another thrill? lol

#24 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:55 AM

A panic move, you funny. I'd say a move to halt the total onslaught from the right of misinformation... I just googled and Koch brothers paid minions are making money this week, wow... so many negative stories on the internet.

I wouldn't say softball questions, was more about what Obama said that is important. Very matter-of-factly stating the purpose of having young people sign up, and you know, he was at American University talking ot college students, and all of them will be able to stay on their parent's plans til age 26... the important thing that he was saying is to tell your friends to look at the website and check it out for themselves.

Oh, I'm sure Chris got a thrill out of it. He cray like that.

Edited by snowman, 06 December 2013 - 08:56 AM.

#25 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:54 AM

A panic move, you funny. I'd say a move to halt the total onslaught from the right of misinformation... I just googled and Koch brothers paid minions are making money this week, wow... so many negative stories on the internet.

I wouldn't say softball questions, was more about what Obama said that is important. Very matter-of-factly stating the purpose of having young people sign up, and you know, he was at American University talking ot college students, and all of them will be able to stay on their parent's plans til age 26... the important thing that he was saying is to tell your friends to look at the website and check it out for themselves.

Oh, I'm sure Chris got a thrill out of it. He cray like that.

That's a tough sell... telling the young folks that they must buy a product that they believe they don't need... AND that they must pay an inflated price for the product... I think the backlash is building...
  • Beading Lady, Bedford, JHS1982 and 1 other like this

#26 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:25 AM

The overall tone and substance of what Obama said is really what was important... the social justice aspect of Obamacare and the responsibility everyone has for each other, in the greatest country in the world.

And really, nobody needs to have health insurance. Nobody! Until you do need it. That's quite a strange argument to make, that they don't need it... You think these young folks aren't a bit confused? when they hear Paul, Cruz, Boehner, etc. telling them they don't need it and don't sign up for it. And then reading about their experiences signing up for Obamacare themselves? Perhaps, although I doubt, some lesser individuals would be able to follow that argument, but not college students. Big disconnect

#27 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:45 AM

the social justice aspect of Obamacare

Justice for who?
How is it justice to impose a tax on those who can not afford to get by?
  • kelley and Serve like this

#28 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:54 AM

those who can't afford to get by will be getting subsidies to help pay for their premiums.

interesting that all taxes in the US negatively affect the poorer people, except this new healthcare tax. so if we're needing to help folks who are haviing a hard time getting along, then i am all for more tax relief for those folks. and tax the wealthy people more.

Edited by snowman, 07 December 2013 - 07:56 AM.

• cindiloohoo likes this

#29 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

those who can't afford to get by will be getting subsidies to help pay for their premiums.

So it will be less of a tax than it could be?
Well, I guess that makes it alright.

#30 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:42 AM

So it will be less of a tax than it could be?
Well, I guess that makes it alright.

yes, for those that can't afford to get by, absolutely. it is alright.
  • cindiloohoo likes this

#31 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:42 AM

Will part of Obama's legacy be delivering the worst mid-term beat down in history to the Democratic party? Recent poll data suggests that it may be possible... Fred Barnes of the Weekly Standard breaks it down for us...

What makes a president’s job approval all the more crucial is its correlation with how his party does in elections. Obama’s approval has tumbled into the low 40s and the high 30s in polls by CBS News, Reuters, and the Economist/YouGov. If those numbers hold, he will be a huge drag on Democratic candidates in 2014. If they improve, so will Democratic prospects.

The matter of honesty and trust is nearly as serious as job approval. For Obama, the problem here is his statement, made repeatedly before and after Obamacare was enacted, that anyone who liked his health care plan would be able to keep it.

This happened to be the only one of several promises Obama made about his health reform that the public believed. North Star Opinion Research discovered this last March in a poll for the YG Network. People dismissed as untrue Obama’s vows that Obamacare would not add to the federal deficit, would save families $2,500 a year in health insurance, not require cuts in Medicare, and not lead to a doctor shortage or rationing.

The promise to let individuals keep their current insurance was different. It was deemed true by a 64 to 27 percent margin. And when it became clear this claim was false, the reaction was poisonous for the president. His credibility was shattered.

http://www.weeklysta...on_769624.html#

#32 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:35 AM

According to a recent Pew poll --
  • 45% said Obama is not trustworthy.
  • 51% said he is not able to get things done.
  • 54% dislike Obamacare.
According to a recent Washington Post / ABC News poll --
  • Only 43% of those in the 18-29-year-old age group approve of Obama's performance. This is a stunning drop from 66% at the beginning of the year.
It seems that a lot more people are opening their eyes and seeing that the emperor has no clothes.
  • kelley and Tina like this

#33 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:03 PM

this article is from today.

http://jpupdates.com...rollout-levels/

#34 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

here's some more delicious information from Pew

http://knowmore.wash...tion-since-fdr/

#35 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

I don't think his wife is very happy with him.

http://www.mirror.co...e-obama-2912516

Edited by woo, 11 December 2013 - 01:13 PM.

• Quasar likes this

#36 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:13 AM

This article was brought to my attention by a reason.com fb post discussing it. They used the term "Bushitis."

Obombya has Bushitis, which is way worse than cooties.

One criticism I have of the article is what appears to be equating the Iraq War and Katrina with the ACA rollout. I get the parallels in the sense of the presidency, but still...

http://www.nationalj...idency-20131217

Edited by kelley, 18 December 2013 - 09:14 AM.

• Quasar likes this

#37 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:22 AM

I think that a large part of Obama's legacy will be how divisive and partisan he and his administration were. One of Obama's biggest weaknesses is that he has surrounded himself with far too many "yes" men and women such as Valerie Jarrett. The people around a POTUS must possess sound judgement AND be willing to challenge the POTUS as needed. Recently we have seen a few changes taking place in the staff and one recent hire is John Podesta which is an old Clinton crony. Almost immediately Podesta comes out and compares the GOP to the Jonestown cult. This of course is so over the top that he had to come out and apologize for the remarks. So the Obama ship continues to sink...

John Podesta was just named as a new senior-level adviser to President Obama last week, but he's already ruffling Republican feathers.

In a profile published late Tuesday by Politico Magazine, Podesta is quoted comparing Republicans to the infamous cult led by Jim Jones, who was responsible for the 1978 cyanide poisoning of more than 900 of his followers in Guyana.

"They need to focus on executive action given that they are facing a second term against a cult worthy of Jonestown in charge of one of the houses of Congress," said Podesta of what Obama's White House team faces. Jonestown was the informal name of the settlement founded by Jones and his American followers.

On Wednesday, Podesta apologized for his impolitic comment.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/theoval/2013/12/18/podesta-gop-jonestown-cult/4109385/

#38 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:47 AM

The economy is moving again... housing starts, stock market, real estate prices... all are UP... unemployment is coming down... The worst recession EVER has ended. We have not started any new wars.

Of course we have had an onslaught of negative news, generated from the right. the fake scandals... fast & furious, IRS, Benghazi, I can't even remember them all, but they have had the desired affect on polls... that is to bring down Obama ratings. All that along with the poor Obamacare rollout. But that has much improved, and improving...

Perhaps the Republican House of Reps will get to work on the Obama jobs bill... I can dream.

#39 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

The economy is moving again... housing starts, stock market, real estate prices... all are UP... unemployment is coming down... The worst recession EVER has ended. We have not started any new wars.

Of course we have had an onslaught of negative news, generated from the right. the fake scandals... fast & furious, IRS, Benghazi, I can't even remember them all, but they have had the desired affect on polls... that is to bring down Obama ratings. All that along with the poor Obamacare rollout. But that has much improved, and improving...

Perhaps the Republican House of Reps will get to work on the Obama jobs bill... I can dream.

Money isn't everything, and even if it is, what about concentration of wealth at the top which has only accelerated under Obama?

The virtual elimination of the Fourth Amendment and creation of another generation of "terrorists" righteously angry over drone strikes will be more of a legacy issue than some still-not-particularly-impressive economic reports.

#40 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:05 AM

Money isn't everything, and even if it is, what about concentration of wealth at the top which has only accelerated under Obama?

The virtual elimination of the Fourth Amendment and creation of another generation of "terrorists" righteously angry over drone strikes will be more of a legacy issue than some still-not-particularly-impressive economic reports.

Oh, concentration of wealth at the top... good point. Unemployement benefits... minimum wage... I'm thinking Obama is on the side of guess who?
I wish we could tax the wealthy, and I'm sure Obama would want their taxes raised as well. So, don't look at him as the culprit in that issue.

The deaths of innocent people from drones is far less than what we would have with a Republican administration that would go in to Syria or bomb Iran. That's the truth.

Edited by snowman, 19 December 2013 - 10:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users