• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

Our next dinner will be November 14th at the First Presbyterian Church. We will be able to make the food at home and bring it to the church to serve. Some of you have referred to it as pot luck, and I suppose it is, however we do need to keep in mind that we need enough of each type of food to serve 75 people and I would like to know ahead of time what each of you plan to bring and how many you believe it will serve...

For example, Donna has suggested we do soup and sandwiches. She mentioned her potato soup, which does sound good right now! Let's say her soup would serve 30; we would need more soup to serve at least 45. It wouldn't have to be potato...someone else may want to bring veggie soup, chicken noodle, bean, etc., and that would be fine as long as we had enough total soup for 75. The reason for asking you to let us know in advance what/how much you will be bringing is simply so we can fill any gaps that may be left.

So, what do you all think of soup and sandwiches? If that's good with everyone, we need to discuss a few things...what kind of sandwiches? On bread or buns? Will we make the sandwiches ahead of time at home or put them together at the church? What else can we have with the soup and sandwiches? Any veggies? What dessert?

Thanks, folks!
  • Tina likes this

#2 Overit

Overit

Closed by Request

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

I will make apple crisp for 30......a long sheet cake like the first one I made for 30 (dump cake) and Candi will make a 9x13 birthday cake. If someone else wants to do desert just let me know.
  • GrumpyGranny and Tina like this

#3 RunnerGirl

RunnerGirl

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

I will make chili. It should feed about 30 people.
  • GrumpyGranny, Tina and Donna like this

#4 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:50 PM

I will bring the usual snacks -- chips, cookies, etc. I would also be glad to bring or donate some loaves of bread of rolls if you let me know, Also, I think I have enough stryrofoam trays left over from the last dinner to cover this one.
  • GrumpyGranny, Tina and Donna like this

#5 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:50 AM

If RunnerGirl is making chili, someone could make/bring peanut butter sandwiches.

I'll make bean soup (with ham) for 35. If someone wants to bring corn bread it goes well with it (and chili). Might be easiest in muffin tins?
  • GrumpyGranny, Bigfoot and Donna like this

#6 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:05 AM

I can make sandwiches... I can use Overit's recipe she did with the chicken salad. If that's ok, how many should I make?
  • GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#7 rosietheriveter

rosietheriveter

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

I will make homemade pimento cheese sandwiches.
  • IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#8 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

I just spoke with Masey. Her computer caught a virus so she may not be online for a while, until she can get it up and running again.

Masey did say she will bring peanut butter sandwiches and some cornbread to the dinner.

I will bring more cornbread (great idea, Tina!) and a dessert, just not sure yet what it'll be but I will post when I figure it out!
  • Overit and Donna like this

#9 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

I can make sandwiches... I can use Overit's recipe she did with the chicken salad. If that's ok, how many should I make?

Snowman, chicken salad sandwiches sound good. The how many is up to you, as many as you are comfortable making!
  • Donna likes this

#10 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:09 PM

I have not been able to check out First Presbyterian's facilities yet. I will try to do that this coming Thursday. I believe Paul said they do have a kitchen but I don't think we want to get into using it much due to the clean up. I am wanting to see if we can plug in crockpots, stuff like that, or if we need to get a few of the inexpensive warming thingies, frame w/aluminum pans and sterno, to keep stuff warm. If we need those, we have some of the donated cash from last month in reserve to purchase 2 or 3 of them...the frames and sterno would be reusable so might be a good investment for future dinners also.

#11 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

GG, I have two frames we can use. We would need to purchase aluminum pans and sternos. For soup, though, crockpots would work best!
  • GrumpyGranny likes this

#12 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

GG, I have two frames we can use. We would need to purchase aluminum pans and sternos. For soup, though, crockpots would work best!

Cool on the frames, but I agree crock pots would be best for the soup. We'll figure it out after I check it out. Ron says we can always bring a power strip if there aren't many outlets close together.

#13 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:06 PM

Cool on the frames, but I agree crock pots would be best for the soup. We'll figure it out after I check it out. Ron says we can always bring a power strip if there aren't many outlets close together.

I agree on whatever takes the least cleanup!!!
  • Tina and Donna like this

#14 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

I can bring one extra power strip outlet and extra crockpots if needed.
  • GrumpyGranny likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users