#1 SIwatcher

SIwatcher

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:40 PM

Final 28-14 --- Major -- Major upset --anyone at the game that can elaborate

Edited by SIwatcher, 20 September 2013 - 09:12 PM.

#2 Ray Lawrence Parker

Ray Lawrence Parker

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:04 AM

That is a shocker! I didn't make it out to the game tonight but was stunned when I heard the news. My nephew plays for Floyd and, although I love him, I know that the Highlanders are not that good. I'll be interested to hear what the spin is after this unfortunate turn of events.

#3 River City Kid

River City Kid

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:58 AM

It was a terrible night. I left at halftime, just couldn't take any more rain and sloppy football. Soaked to the bone. Even the few dollars in my pocket were soggy. My umbrella was no protection against that rain.

Jeff officials wanted to switch the game to Saturday but Floyd Central wouldn't agree. I understand F.C.'s reasoning -- bad turf slows Jeff's breakaway threats.

What was so wrong, in my opinion, was that it cost Jeff thousands of dollars at the gate -- money the athletic department desperately needs. Two, it ruined homecoming. I felt sorry for the Homecoming Court as it was introduced and the rains drowned out the ceremony. After the National Anthem, the band headed for dry surroundings not to be seen again.

Pitiful, pitiful night for Jeff, its players and fans. But Floyd and the "Snobs in the Knobs" got what they wanted -- a win.
  • karen likes this

#4 JHS1982

JHS1982

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:29 PM

It was a terrible night. I left at halftime, just couldn't take any more rain and sloppy football. Soaked to the bone. Even the few dollars in my pocket were soggy. My umbrella was no protection against that rain.

Jeff officials wanted to switch the game to Saturday but Floyd Central wouldn't agree. I understand F.C.'s reasoning -- bad turf slows Jeff's breakaway threats.

What was so wrong, in my opinion, was that it cost Jeff thousands of dollars at the gate -- money the athletic department desperately needs. Two, it ruined homecoming. I felt sorry for the Homecoming Court as it was introduced and the rains drowned out the ceremony. After the National Anthem, the band headed for dry surroundings not to be seen again.

Pitiful, pitiful night for Jeff, its players and fans. But Floyd and the "Snobs in the Knobs" got what they wanted -- a win.

RCK, I totally disagree with that reasoning!! "Got what they wanted -- a win".......like it was "given" to them?? Nope......looks like they EARNED IT to me!! They beat the Red Devils by two touchdowns, and played in the same horrible conditions we did!!

I'm one of the biggest Red Devil supporters you'll find out there, but IT'S FOOTBALL......it's meant to be played REGARDLESS of the conditions!! (Provided there's no lightning, at which point you HAVE to suspend the game for player and fan safety.) Each team had to play in the exact same conditions.......the heaven's didn't just open up and spew rain when the Red Devils possessed the ball. Will they (the Red Devils) be able to call Center Grove in the Sectional when it's pizz pouring rain, or maybe a little cold??? Don't think so.......why should this game be any different? If I'm the Floyd admin, I wouldn't allow for changes in the schedule to be made either......it is what it is!! Each team started with 0's on the scoreboard and were given the same chance to pull out a win when they laced 'em up!!

As hard as it is for all of us Red Devil fans to admit, let's give the Devil his due (no pun intended) and admit the better team, THAT NIGHT, won the game. My congratulations go out to Coach Gleising and his Highlander players. The best thing the Red Devils can do is move on from this, not whine / cry about the outcome, learn from it, and understand they may face these conditions again down the road and PREPARE for them. You can't always play your games on clear, starry nights and 70 degree weather!!

Good luck from this point forward Red Devils.......the season is not lost, so give 'em hell.

Just my opinion.

Rod Daily
  • ctownmom, Tina, HouseFullOfBoys and 1 other like this

#5 River City Kid

River City Kid

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:54 PM

My point wasn't about the game, it was about other aspects of the game -- selling enough tickets to pay the bills for sports and allow other students to celebrate a night themselves via Homecoming.

I think Lonnie OIdham did a terrible job of preparing his team and adjusting to game conditions. On Friday night the better team won, no doubt about that.

Sadly, Jeff lost in more ways than one.

#6 SIwatcher

SIwatcher

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:44 PM

I wonder and maybe someone close to the program can answer this --- had Jeff practiced for these conditions. Some schools soak the practice fields/turn on the sprinklers/ soak the ball in a bucket of water when taking snaps ect.... My prediction is that this :Great" Jeff team-some preseason buzz said best ever will go 6-4 -- Columbus East/ New Albany and Center Grove or Columbus North -- the 6 wins will be 6 very bad teams

#7 JHSRP

JHSRP

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

It appeared that Coach Oldham and the kids were only prepared for the Pre-game awards banquet. Which was quite odd. The kids came out for the second half more concerned about getting the fans up. Floyd was all business and they realized it was a football game. Congrats to FCHS we'll played!

Edited by JHSRP, 22 September 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#8 SIwatcher

SIwatcher

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

I quess when you are 4-0 and leading the state in scoring ave ----- and you might go 2-4 to end the season -you celabrate !!!

Edited by SIwatcher, 22 September 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#9 River City Kid

River City Kid

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

I'm not giving up on this team but there are some problems that need to be addressed. The inexperience at quarterback is glaring. Time will solve the problem, but with big games looming what to do now is the pressing question.

Excessive penalties seem to be a another problem the coaching staff can't correct. That is most disheartening.

I wonder if Jeff has a true offensive and defensive coordinator or does Lonnie try to do it all himself?

#10 JHSRP

JHSRP

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

Lonnie only calls defense sets. Unless the defense is playing bad then he is quick to tell you he was letting Coach Barnes call the defense so he would understand how difficult it is. LOL. The offense runs through Coach Browning up in the press box.
Many other coaches that no one is truly sure of their role.
Discipline is a problem for Lonnie - he too has been known to struggle with the rules of the game.

Edited by JHSRP, 23 September 2013 - 04:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users