1136 replies to this topic

#21 Details Matter

Details Matter

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

I am covered by Medicare and I have not received anything about my costs going up.

#22 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

By the way, have found no one who has received a notice that Medicare is going up. I think there are some expanded coverages under Medicare that will save people money under part B and also drugs under part D, but as far as an increase I have not seen proof of that.

Some of the things I've learned about ACA from this guy's column: James Mulder, The Post Standard in Central New York
http://connect.syrac...lder/posts.html
I think he even answers email questions, although I am not sure of that.

Under Obamacare, Medicare enrollees get more preventive services, for less. Medicare now covers certain preventive services, like mammograms or colonoscopies, without charging seniors for the Part B coinsurance or deductible. They also get a free yearly "wellness" visit.
The law also provides enrollees savings on brand-name drugs. Medicare enrollees in the "doughnut hole" will get a get a 50 percent discount when buying Part D-covered brand-name prescription drugs. The discount is applied automatically at the pharmacy counter. Under Obamacare, the doughnut hole will be closed completely by 2020.
The doughnut hole is a coverage gap that starts when Medicare enrollees' annual drug costs reach $2,970. They don't get out of the doughnut hole until their out-of-pocket drug costs reach $4,750. At that point, catastrophic coverage kicks in.

He answers questions from the readers, if you get on the site you can page through to find some of them.

here's another, Understanding Obamacare: Can I stay on my parent's plan when I'm offered coverage at work?
http://www.syracuse....red_covera.html

and another: Understanding Obamacare: Can we still spend the money in our Health Savings Account?
http://www.syracuse....ings_accou.html

Edited by snowman, 21 September 2013 - 08:38 AM.

• Details Matter likes this

#23 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:47 AM

Medicare offers health plans other than plain medicare. Those on medicare can choose to join a Medicare health plan instead of basic medicare. These plans are offered by a private company that contracts with Medicare to provide Part A and Part B benefits to people with Medicare who enroll in the plan. The medicare health plans available do have a monthly premium separate from the amount withheld from our benefits for basic medicare part B coverage. An example is an Anthem medicare plan I tried out. Anthem took care of processing my medicare part B and prescription part D, and charged me about $40 a month. There are also medicare supplement policies; these pay deductibles and charges not paid by medicare for which the patient may owe the provider. Medicare supplements can be as high as $300 per month...at least AARP wanted $283 a month for a medicare supplemental policy on me several years ago.

So, the way I see it, those sayng the medicare premium taken from our benefits by the government will not go up may be correct, at least for now. But those saying they have received notices of their premium going up are very likely correct, but have a medicare health plan administered by a private insurance company instead of government administered basic medicare part B, or they may be talking about their medicare supplement, also administered by a private insurance company.

Edited by GrumpyGranny, 21 September 2013 - 10:30 AM.
to change Aetna to Anthem...I had a duhhh moment...

• kelley and snowman like this

#24 Details Matter

Details Matter

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

For this year I have been covered by Humana Medicare Advantage. The last few years before this year I had been covered by Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Medicare Advantage. Previous to that It was Humana Medicare Advantage. In the past before there was Obamacare the first year that the insurance company offered me their plan, they charged me nothing in addition to the amount that was deducted by the government from my Social Security income but then they would raise it. The same thing happened this year with Humana and so I don't know if it will be raised next year. However this year I have received full coverage for all examinations such as a mammogram, blood tests, etc. etc. I think the reason for this is Obamacare. I also have not had to pay anything for the prescription medicine that I have to take to control my blood pressure. I had to pay something for it last year. I don't know what will happen next year but so far it has been good.

#25 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:59 AM

Thanks Granny for clarifying that. It's easy to misunderstand and it's easy to misspeak about it all... but there are answers out there if you look.

Americans will learn the truth about Obamacare very shortly... and that is the reason this last ditch effort is underway with a vengeance to destroy it. Because... You're gonna love it.
And once Obamacare is fully implemented health care costs will go down, people will have healthcare and the deficit will be reduced.
Social safety nets are good for our country. Period.
  • hoosiertaxpayer, Jules, Details Matter and 1 other like this

#26 hoosiertaxpayer

hoosiertaxpayer

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

Thanks Granny and DM for explaining how it works.....

The GOP is scared to death the ACA will actually work and pave the way even smoother for a Hillary's presidency..... and after 8 years of Hillary then 8 years of Michelle Obama .....That's why the political opposition is so strong...
  • Details Matter and Donna like this

#27 Hot Glass Guy

Hot Glass Guy

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:49 AM

Let me make myself clear. I am referring to Medicare Part B which is where the costs not covered in Part A (the government part of Medicare) are handled. The notice I've received was from my private carrier (government doesn't handle this part) and it doubled. And, in the included table of covered services, many items including things like mammograms and prostrate screenings now have copays in 2014 where they haven't in 2013. That this is a complex issue that causes many questions is a basic problem with government regulation. Especially when you are discussing a bill of over 2000 pages the Congress didn't read, the House didn't vote on, and the Supreme Court had to rewrite to get it past Constitutional muster.

Thanks Granny and DM for explaining how it works.....

The GOP is scared to death the ACA will actually work and pave the way even smoother for a Hillary's presidency..... and after 8 years of Hillary then 8 years of Michelle Obama .....That's why the political opposition is so strong...

This has nothing to do with "fear" of potential candidates for the presidency. Other than a serious lack of qualifications for the office, the aforementioned concern me mostly from the predictable impact that their terms would have on my disposable income.
  • kelley likes this

#28 hoosiertaxpayer

hoosiertaxpayer

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

Especially when you are discussing a bill of over 2000 pages the Congress didn't read, the House didn't vote on, and the Supreme Court had to rewrite to get it past Constitutional muster.

The House voted on the ACA,

Both the Senate and the House of Representatives must pass a bill before it becomes law...

and The Supreme Court only ruled on the Constitutionality of the law...they do not write laws only rule on them in this case if it was Constitutionally correct...which they said it was..

#29 Hot Glass Guy

Hot Glass Guy

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

The House voted on the ACA,

Both the Senate and the House of Representatives must pass a bill before it becomes law...

and The Supreme Court only ruled on the Constitutionality of the law...they do not write laws only rule on them in this case if it was Constitutionally correct...which they said it was..

You are correct the House did finally vote on the ACA. The Supreme Court ruled that as written (it was not a tax) that the bill was not Constitutional. Chief Justice John Roberts went on to say that if it were considered a tax that it would be Constitutional and ruled therefore it was a tax. A case of judicial activism unparalleled in modern history.
  • Bedford likes this

#30 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:42 AM

You are correct the House did finally vote on the ACA. The Supreme Court ruled that as written (it was not a tax) that the bill was not Constitutional. Chief Justice John Roberts went on to say that if it were considered a tax that it would be Constitutional and ruled therefore it was a tax. A case of judicial activism unparalleled in modern history.

:no:

#31 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

Thanks Granny for clarifying that. It's easy to misunderstand and it's easy to misspeak about it all... but there are answers out there if you look.

Americans will learn the truth about Obamacare very shortly... and that is the reason this last ditch effort is underway with a vengeance to destroy it. Because... You're gonna love it.
And once Obamacare is fully implemented health care costs will go down, people will have healthcare and the deficit will be reduced.
Social safety nets are good for our country. Period.

After health care costs go down and the deficit is reduced, we will be treated to free bubble-up and rainbow stew.
  • Beading Lady, Bedford and Serve like this

#32 Serve

Serve

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

After health care costs go down and the deficit is reduced, we will be treated to free bubble-up and rainbow stew.

Whoo Hoo! I will hold my breath! :yawn:

#33 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

My unicorn absolutely loves rainbow stew.
  • Bedford, Serve and CityBoy like this

#34 rosietheriveter

rosietheriveter

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

FYI.......We, the taxpayers, are now not only paying more for our own insurance, but we are paying more for our county employees health insurance due to the ACA's requirement that the insurance company we use provide essential benefits.
Essential Health Benefits According to the act, essential health benefits consist of 10 categories that must be covered by all health insurance plans offered.
These categories are:
Ambulatory patient services
Emergency services
Hospitalization
Maternity and newborn care
Mental health and substance abuse disorder services
Prescription drugs
Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices
Laboratory services
Preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management
Pediatric services, including oral and vision care

Of course I oppose the ACA..here is one former Congressman's take
http://communities.w...ding-obamacare/
  • IntegrityMatters, kelley and Serve like this

#35 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:24 PM

A lot if people asking NPR questions were interested in maybe finally having vision and dental. That's the only health care many of us need most of our lives.

#36 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:01 AM

vision and dental coverage has always been a separate coverage from health insurance. in my experience with mine the benefit of having it is a wash... as the premium dollar amount is equal to the service provided, over the year's time... of course that's if you're healthy, it is beneficial when you have a problem. vision and dental plans vary quite a bit.

#37 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:52 AM

The evil Cadillac insurance plan we had through the ironworkers' union had wonderful dental and vision coverage.

#38 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

http://finance.yahoo...-210354500.html

How terrible. Home Depot (HD) and Trader Joe’s have decided to stop offering health insurance for part-time employees, moving them over to Obamacare instead...

Once the new health law has been in place for a few months, however, Part-Time America may issue a collective sigh of relief.

There are many insurance choices under Obamacare that vary by state and apply to different income levels, which adds to the confusion. But the nonprofit Kaiser Family Foundation has built a helpful calculator that lets you enter your income and a few other basic details to get an idea of how much insurance would cost you under the program.
A single parent with three kids and an annual income of $25,000, for instance, could get an $8,800 insurance plan for a total out-of-pocket cost of $500 per year. Subsidies, in other words, cover 94% of the cost. Try to beat that on part-time pay.
A two-parent family with two kids and a $50,000 income could get a $10,000 plan for $3,365, with subsidies covering 66% of the cost. There’s one catch: You only qualify for such deals if you’re not able to get coverage through your employer. So if you’re a part-timer whose company canceled your watered-down insurance coverage, it may have actually done you a favor.

Edited by snowman, 22 September 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#39 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

"A single parent with three kids and an annual income of $25,000, for instance, could get an $8,800 insurance plan for a total out-of-pocket cost of $500 per year. Subsidies, in other words, cover 94% of the cost. Try to beat that on part-time pay."

Am I the only one outraged that a thusly described single parent would be forced to hand over so much as one dollar to a corporation?

Forced consumption. Absolutely disgusting.

Edited by kelley, 22 September 2013 - 11:15 AM.

• Serve likes this

#40 Hot Glass Guy

Hot Glass Guy

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

And who pays for the subsidies ??? Go look in a mirror. So now not only do you get to pay for your insurance but you get to pay for other people as well.
  • Bedford, Serve, CityBoy and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ACA, Affordable Care Act, Obamacare, Health, Healthcare, Cost

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users