1136 replies to this topic

#1 Hot Glass Guy

Hot Glass Guy

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

Just got the notification of next year's premium for Medicare Part B & D. Am actually somewhat relieved. It only DOUBLED! And that for less service and higher out-of-pocket costs.

#2 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,123 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

Lol. I just came here from reading hundreds of comments on NPR's Facebook page when they asked if people had questions about ACA.

Questions, hell, people are starting to get and see real numbers, the math and how it applies to them. One repeated, sincere question was "how is $x affordable?"

#3 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

AARP says that Medicare premiums will be going up only slightly in 2014.

http://www.aarp.org/...b-premiums.html

Edited by snowman, 20 September 2013 - 01:45 PM.

#4 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

I'm afraid Obamacare is going to be a horrendous drag on our economy, at the worst possible time.

#5 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,123 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

Hear that, Hot Glass Guy? AARP says you're full of it!

#6 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

http://answers.iquot...y-for-2014.aspx

part b premiums for 2013 were 104/month if you make less that $85,000... will be the same for 2014 according to everything i have read.

#7 CityBoy

CityBoy

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

part b premiums for 2013 were 104/month if you make less that $85,000... will be the same for 2014 according to everything i have read.

Part B premium for 2013 is $1,259/year. The estimate I saw for 2014 is $1,477/year. That's a 17% increase. I know, Snowman, it's only an estimate. Sure hope you are right about no increase, but I think it will go up, as well as the deductibles being higher.

#8 Hot Glass Guy

Hot Glass Guy

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

Hear that, Hot Glass Guy? AARP says you're full of it!

LOL Kelley! The last serious thought I gave to AARP was back in 2010 when I looked up their address. I wanted to be sure they received my cut up membership card.
  • GrumpyGranny and Bigfoot like this

#9 Hot Glass Guy

Hot Glass Guy

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

Based on the ACTUAL NOTIFICATION from my insurance provider the AARP completely missed the ball (again). Maybe they could call my insurance company and explain the error of their ways?
  • Bigfoot likes this

#10 hoosiertaxpayer

hoosiertaxpayer

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:06 PM

There is so much conflicting information, articles and opinions it's impossible for anyone to tell how affordable and effective the ACA (Obamacare) will be until it actually goes into effect. I just read last week in the USA Today (I'll try and find the link) how the premiums would be less and affordable, then first thought...

I think the GOP is so scared politically that it might work, they are resorting to scare tactics in an attempt to undermine it...My suggestion would be to relax and let's see how it works when it actually goes into effect...

I have an excellent (cost and coverage) employer provided plan if the ACA has any effect on it I'll be the first to complain....No need overacting to the political spin that's being put on this until we actually get some facts and real information....

#11 hoosiertaxpayer

hoosiertaxpayer

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

Just got the notification of next year's premium for Medicare Part B & D. Am actually somewhat relieved. It only DOUBLED! And that for less service and higher out-of-pocket costs.

Part B premium for 2013 is $1,259/year. The estimate I saw for 2014 is $1,477/year. That's a 17% increase. I know, Snowman, it's only an estimate. Sure hope you are right about no increase, but I think it will go up, as well as the deductibles being higher.

See what I mean....one says doubled, another says 17%...there is so much conflicting information it's impossible to determine any kind of cost or effectiveness of the ACA...

Edited by hoosiertaxpayer, 20 September 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#12 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,123 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:10 PM

There is so much conflicting information, articles and opinions it's impossible for anyone to tell how affordable and effective the ACA (Obamacare) will be until it actually goes into effect. I just read last week in the USA Today (I'll try and find the link) how the premiums would be less and affordable, then first thought...

I think the GOP is so scared politically that it might work, they are resorting to scare tactics in an attempt to undermine it...My suggestion would be to relax and let's see how it works when it actually goes into effect...

I have an excellent (cost and coverage) employer provided plan if the ACA has any effect on it I'll be the first to complain....No need overacting to the political spin that's being put on this until we actually get some facts and real information....

"The GOP..."

Hot Glass Guy isn't the GOP. Average, middle-class confused people asking questions of NPR aren't the GOP. Neither are insurance providers and doctors. Real people are already feeling the pain.

Real people.
  • IntegrityMatters, karen and Tina like this

#13 Hot Glass Guy

Hot Glass Guy

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

See what I mean....one says doubled, another says 17%...there is so much conflicting information it's impossible to determine any kind of cost or effectiveness of the ACA...

There isn't any confusion on my part. I made my statement based on the information sent to me by my insurance company that I received in the mail today. Also I have had time to review the plan details. Just about every copay has been increased and services where there used to be no copay now have one. To repeat my original post -- substantially higher costs both in premiums and copays, and fewer services.

#14 hoosiertaxpayer

hoosiertaxpayer

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

Real people are already feeling the pain.

Curious...in what way ???

#15 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,123 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

Many of these notices must have went out today. From a fb friend whose posts aren't usually political:

"Received my official notice today my Medicare supplement premium has doubled for 2014, plus some of my medicines have gone up a tier! What is Obamacare done for me......absolutely nothing!! I am also afraid to go to the website to see what doctors will not be in network this year! I worked 45 years of my life, paid my way, never asked for a handout and now in my "golden age"
am no better off........guess I should have stayed home, collected welfare and used food stamps then I would probably be getting free insurance next year!!!"

#16 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,123 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

Curious...in what way ???

Increased premiums, cut work hours and anxiety about what is to come. IU just chose to outsource maintenance staff due to the reforms, leading to lay offs, for example.

Real people and real impacts rather than promises about what it is promised to do.

#17 hoosiertaxpayer

hoosiertaxpayer

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

From what I read is that Medicare premiums are determined by a law and formula passed years ago...and ACA has nothing to do with them....but of course Obama will get blamed for it....

Per a law that has been in effect now for 15 years and has nothing whatsoever to do with the Affordable Care Act, every fall Medicare sets the Part B premium for the coming calendar year at a level that will cover exactly 25 percent of Part B's projected costs. So right off you can see that there is no way that the health reform law, enacted in 2010, could have set premiums three and four years in advance, which, once again, it did not.

#18 hoosiertaxpayer

hoosiertaxpayer

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

Increased premiums, cut work hours and anxiety about what is to come. IU just chose to outsource maintenance staff due to the reforms, leading to lay offs, for example.

Real people and real impacts rather than promises about what it is promised to do.

I realize there is anxiety about the unknown, but why not let it play it's course and see what the full results are before determining it's effects...

Companies and employers have out sourced work, cut hours, long before the ACA in order to increase profits....not saying that's the case in your example but the ACA would be an easy scapegoat....

I really don't know one way or another if ObamaCare will be a good law or not, I just know people tend to over react in these type situations and a lot of it is political....So far I've seen no effect what so ever personally, which could change ....only time will tell...

Edited by hoosiertaxpayer, 20 September 2013 - 05:55 PM.

#19 Serve

Serve

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

Yes, work hours are getting cut.. big time. More part timeworkers than full-time are being hired. It a reality that can be seen now. It will just get worse. Keep full-time employement under 50 and Obamacare is void. Some people think the wait and see approach is right. It is gonna get ugly.

http://www.reuters.c...E97K05K20130821

Edited by Serve, 20 September 2013 - 06:35 PM.

• Beading Lady and Bigfoot like this

#20 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:27 AM

all's i know about medicare is what i read and it's weird that no increase is what is expected and yet people are saying they are getting notices of 17%...
i need to ask some of my family about what they've received on it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ACA, Affordable Care Act, Obamacare, Health, Healthcare, Cost

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users