106 replies to this topic

#21 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

well, y'all vote and see if we wanna do salad, i will do all the cutting up, etc... and let me know. i will buy the lettuce and a few salad dressings and bring tomatoes. tina you can bring some too ;-)

and this makes me wonder, since you're meeting tomorrow nite with the kitchen people, do they have a rule about using garden veggies like tomatoes right out of someone's garden or does it have to be storebought?
  • GrumpyGranny, Quasar and Donna like this

#22 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:19 PM

I was wondering the same thing!

I don't use anything on mine - all organic! :)
  • GrumpyGranny and Quasar like this

#23 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:10 PM

I have cherry, grape & pear (yellow, but meaty!) tomatoes AND cukes out the wazzou! Oh, and Malabar Spinach, beautiful and oh so tasty! No herbicides or insecticides, just naturally grown, (with a good dollop of compost!) Will check with health dept. tomorrow on rules for FREE COMMUNITY dinners.

#24 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:11 AM

Once we firm up the menu, we can make a list of all items needed and then "divvy up" who will bring what! GFS is a good idea -- forgot about them.

#25 Exit 0

Exit 0

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:17 AM

i have the sauce no hamburger thou
  • GrumpyGranny, kelley and Quasar like this

#26 Exit 0

Exit 0

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

also please mention jesus cares at exit 0 at checkout at gfs that is a fundraisor we do. Thanks
  • IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny, Quasar and 1 other like this

#27 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

GFS has big 10# rolls of ground beef, too. I love GFS! Paul can we mention jesus cares at exit 0 even when we're buying for ourselves?
  • Quasar likes this

#28 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

Gotta have salad and garlic bread with spaghetti! It's a natural fit!
  • GrumpyGranny, Quasar and Tina like this

#29 TLIES

TLIES

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:33 AM

GFS has big 10# rolls of ground beef, too. I love GFS! Paul can we mention jesus cares at exit 0 even when we're buying for ourselves?

Get their rewards card, then anything you purchase will apply credits to the charity of your choice.
  • kelley, Quasar and Donna like this

#30 Exit 0

Exit 0

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

yea Grumpy anyome can mention us during check out helps us at the end of the year

#31 RunnerGirl

RunnerGirl

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

Sorry I could not make it tonight. Please let me know what I need to get.
  • GrumpyGranny, kelley and Quasar like this

#32 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:11 PM

RunnerGirl, it's all good. It was short notice, but the gentleman we needed to meet with will be unavailable for the next week. I didn't want to wait until the last minute to be able to make plans for our dinner.

St Luke's kitchen is very nice, and well equipped. A commercial range with 8 or 10 burners and two ovens. Two convection ovens, a commercial dishwasher, a steam table, plenty of counter space for prep...I've worked in smaller restaurant kitchens. We are invited to use the cooking utensils, pots and pans as we need to. We are asked to leave the kitchen and dining room as clean as we found it; understandable. The dining area will be set up with tables and chairs. There will be refrigerator space if we need it, but we are asked not to use any food that may be there...we need to provide all food to prepare our menu, including condiments, salt and pepper, etc. Food prepared at home can't be taken in, but we can take in sealed food purchased at a store, such as baked goods or salads from the deli. St Luke's is required to meet health department regulations, so we will need to do so, too. Hairnets, gloves and all! The Church has cleaning supplies, trash bags, hair caps, gloves etc. that we may use. Exit 0 will provide any paper goods needed.

When I say we need to provide all food, I don't necessarily mean the team itself. Exit 0 does receive donations and will make them available to us, like the spaghetti sauce and chicken. Also Paul buys food in bulk from a restaurant supplier that he says is cheaper than Sams or GFS, and will get items we need to fill out our menu if we let him know in advance. His organization is also tax exempt so he will not pay tax on any purchases made for us. With his help, we will just need to provide any food he doesn't have available or doesn't purchase for us, cook and serve the meal and clean up afterward.

We will, of course, accept any cash donations from team members or others, like Karen, who would like to donate.The cash will be given to Paul to pay for any purchases he makes for us. I'm not sure how we will collect cash donations; I need to talk to Paul about it.

Paul will have 4 or 5 of the folks he serves help us with cooking, cleaning, etc.

Tomorrow I will post a menu for our first meal, including any condiments we may need. I will likely forget something....if I do please mention it! Once it's approved by the team, I can get with Paul on what items he has available for us or can purchase for us if we want him to, and we can see what's left for us to provide.

One last thing...I will have access to the kitchen before our Thursday if we need to take anything in early (like meat to thaw in the refrigerator). We just mark anything we take in early as ours and no one will bother it.
  • Quasar and Donna like this

#33 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

I will have to catch up with someone to donate some cash. I just found out my new work schedule and I will be working 11am-8pm now so I won't be available for the dinner but will gladly give $25 to help cover cost.
  • GrumpyGranny, kelley, Quasar and 1 other like this

#34 ChopperWoman

ChopperWoman

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:30 PM

Wow Granny! You are really pulling this together! I can be there every 2nd Thursday by 4:15, 4:45 at the latest, to help prepare the meal. I will also be available for serving and clean up every 2nd Thursday. And of course if we need money I can pitch in there too.

Bigfoot, you know where I work. If you'd like to drop off a donation with me I'll see that it gets to Granny, Paul, or Michelle.

I am excited about this!!
  • GrumpyGranny, Quasar and Donna like this

#35 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:46 PM

Some folks had suggestions of where to get the lettuce for salads and that's cool, but since I'm buying it, would work better for me to just get it at Old Towne Grocery, I already told them I needed it for the 12th, so I will buy that (my donation) and have it over to St Luke's that afternoon when I get off work. Will bring some tomatoes also, and some salad dressings.
  • GrumpyGranny, Quasar, masey and 1 other like this

#36 Overit

Overit

Closed by Request

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

GG, just let me know what time you want me....I can come as early and stay as late as needed. I can bring anything needed also. What kind of desert are we doing? I make a pretty decent cobbler for a crowd if they have LARGE....LONG pans.

Oh, one other thing......it's embarassing......and I hate to ask....but I guess I am going to have to......this Scott County girl has no clue :no: just where it is I am supposed to show up :shrug: :shrug:

#37 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

Wow Granny! You are really pulling this together! I can be there every 2nd Thursday by 4:15, 4:45 at the latest, to help prepare the meal. I will also be available for serving and clean up every 2nd Thursday. And of course if we need money I can pitch in there too.

Bigfoot, you know where I work. If you'd like to drop off a donation with me I'll see that it gets to Granny, Paul, or Michelle.

I am excited about this!!

I will do that once I get on my new schedule. I will bring my meter in for a reading too.

#38 Exit 0

Exit 0

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

OK Granny This is what I have for you guys already collected, Exit 0 Has Sauce, Spaghetti & Green beans & Corn Mixture...

Also some have asked How we have done these meals with teams this is exactly what we did to Start Exit 0. We had a group of folks and we coordinated thru Facebook and got meals going. We are so Excited to have you all on board. Thank you for your continuing support.

Edited by Exit 0, 29 August 2013 - 08:10 PM.

#39 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

Yum! What salad dressings? Everybody likes ranch and honey mustard (except me!) There are a lot of flavors out there . . . Creamy Italian, Green Goddess, and, my favorite, Sun Dried Tomatoes. A cheap substitute for garlic bread is hot dog/hamburger buns coated with garlic butter & Italian herbs and toasted. On Thursday, Sept. 12th, I will be there (with my daughter) at 3:30 pm and can stay to the end. St. Luke's is located at Maple & Walnut.
  • GrumpyGranny, Quasar and Tina like this

#40 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

Unless plans change I can be there between 4-4:30. It doesn't matter to me if Paul gets all stuff and we pay him or we get it. I would do whatever you think is the best and make it easy for you. I'll help out with either money or buying some of what we need.
  • Quasar, Tina and Donna like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users