• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,165 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:15 AM

Team Chatter had it's first meeting yesterday evening. It was a pleasure to meet Team Chatter members and Paul and Michele Stensrud of Exit 0. Paul and Michele were able to provide a great deal of information about homelessness and Team Chatter's role in helping with meals on a monthly basis.

Current team members are Masey, Runner Girl, Kelley, Tina, Chopper Woman, Bigfoot, Snowman, Donna, Spastic Legend, Overit, Integrity Matters and Grumpy Granny. The team will be providing dinner at St Luke's on the second Thursday of each month, beginning September 12th. Any other Chatter members interested in joining the team please let me know.

Exit 0 has other volunteer opportunities available for anyone who would like to volunteer but who may be unable to commit to an ongoing project. You can find more information on Exit 0, and a volunteer application, at www.jcexit0.org. Team members, you will find Team Chatter on the application under Volunteer Groups, near the bottom of the application.

Team members, I will be contacting someone from St Luke's today to finalize the details on the use of the kitchen. As soon as that is done, we can start planning our first dinner!

Thanks to the team members who were able to make the meeting yesterday evening, and to Paul and Michele for taking time from their busy day to join us. A special thanks to Integrity Matters for opening her home to us for the meeting and to St Luke's for opening their doors to us.
  • IntegrityMatters, kelley, Quasar and 6 others like this

#2 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,165 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

I spoke with our contact for use of the kitchen at St Lukes. He will be unavailable for a week beginning Thursday of this week, but can meet us to discuss kitchen protocol and give us a look at the kitchen this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon; otherwise we will need to wait until late next week.

So the immediate question is, can any of you make it tomorrow at 5:30 pm? I know several of you expressed an interest in attending, and if necessary we can put it off until next week but the sooner the better....

I did find out that we cannot prepare the food in advance and take into the Church to serve due to Health Department rules. We will be able to access the kitchen early enough to prepare the food there. I know that most of you work, but I believe we can still work it out.

Edited to add: If any of you know how to call other team members, would you please do so and let them know about this post? Or ask them to call me...812-557-3157. Thanks!
  • Quasar likes this

#3 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:48 AM

GG, I can be there about 5:30. Since we have to prepare the food there, that's even more reason we need to keep it "simple". What about the cupcakes, cookies? Does this mean we can't prepare anything at home at all??
  • kelley and Quasar like this

#4 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,165 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

GG, I can be there about 5:30. Since we have to prepare the food there, that's even more reason we need to keep it "simple". What about the cupcakes, cookies? Does this mean we can't prepare anything at home at all??

IM, my understanding is everything would need to be prepared there, including the cookies or cupcakes. I'd probably ask the grandkids to come to the Church as soon as they get home from school. We will have a better idea of the cooking facilities after meeting with the gentleman from St Lukes...number of ovens, range burners, etc.
  • Quasar likes this

#5 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

I can't be there on Wednesday, prior commitment.
  • Quasar likes this

#6 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,165 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

I went ahead and firmed up our appointment for 5:30 tomorrow, Wednesday, Aug 27. I am sorry you can't make it, Tina. IM, Kelley, new team member Perfect Insanity and I will be there and any of you who can join us will be welcome. We will meet at the Walnut Street door.
  • Quasar, Tina and Donna like this

#7 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:56 PM

wednesday's never work for me... i signed up on the jcexit0.org website, but didn't see a st lukes box to check... and didn't get an email back about signing up... maybe that's normal i dunno.

i'm planning on going to Colgate Baptist on Saturday 4:00. and on our first day at St Lukes I can be there at 3:30 if the doors will be open by then.

it was great meeting all y'all!!!
  • kelley, Quasar and Donna like this

#8 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,165 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

Snowman, I'm planning on going to Colgate Saturday also, so I'll see you there...sorry you can't make it tomorrow afternoon.

I will let you know (on here) what time we'll be opening the doors at St Lukes. It will depend on the menu and how much time we will need to prepare.

Speaking of our first menu, should we consider Paul's stock of spaghetti sauce and have spaghetti instead of the chicken? It would be less time consuming than chicken since we will be cooking there and it will be a new experience for us.

#9 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:21 PM

spaghetti sounds good to me.... easy to make. I would be glad to get meatballs --- I think you can buy frozen packages at Sams and then we would only have to thaw? does anyone know for sure. Some garlic bread, a salad maybe and dessert? I can't make it on Saturday so will be interested in hearing what they serve. Let us know GG and Snowman.
  • GrumpyGranny, kelley and Quasar like this

#10 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:26 PM

I agree with spaghetti for the first time around.
  • GrumpyGranny, kelley and Quasar like this

#11 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:27 PM

For the first time spaghetti would be easier than chicken along with a salad and rolls. When we don't know how many to really cook for yet, spaghetti is something that we could cook more of if we needed to. I'm sure chicken would go over better but we might find ourselves running out if very many show up. Any other ideas?
  • IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny, kelley and 1 other like this

#12 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:33 PM

Yes, Sam's has the meatballs and i can also pick up some if needed. We should check with Paul because that may be something that he has also.
  • Quasar likes this

#13 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,165 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:41 PM

I don't go to Sams, but GFS has the meatballs, too, and garlic bread and salad mix. Oh, and huge packages of spaghetti. We can use the Spastic child's cash donation to help buy things, and I can help buy also.

Edited to add: I don't really care for ole Spastic Legend's user name so from now on I will refer to him as Chris....

Edited by GrumpyGranny, 27 August 2013 - 07:42 PM.

• IntegrityMatters, kelley, Quasar and 1 other like this

#14 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:52 PM

Is team chatter funding this meal? I cannot be there to help but I can donate a little cash!
  • kelley, Quasar and Donna like this

#15 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:55 PM

I don't go to Sams, but GFS has the meatballs, too, and garlic bread and salad mix. Oh, and huge packages of spaghetti. We can use the Spastic child's cash donation to help buy things, and I can help buy also.

Edited to add: I don't really care for ole Spastic Legend's user name so from now on I will refer to him as Chris....

LOL! All this time I THOUGHT you were talking about Blondie! My bad! Ha! Ha! Ha!
  • Quasar likes this

#16 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

Is team chatter funding this meal? I cannot be there to help but I can donate a little cash!

Yes! We can use donations! Exit 0 ministries works to eliminate homelessness. Money & mentors are needed. Anything anyone can do is greatly appreciated!

#17 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:29 PM

i don't mind buying some iceberg lettuce and making a salad, just a simple one i guess would be the best thing. i've got tons of cherry tomatoes, well hopefully i will still have them by then.
  • GrumpyGranny and Quasar like this

#18 Overit

Overit

Closed by Request

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

I can be there when the doors open to help. I will also help with the cost of whatever we need.
  • GrumpyGranny and Quasar like this

#19 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:51 PM

Don't know about GFS but lettuce is about $3.00 for a huge bag of it at Sam's and it feeds a lot of people. Don't know about the garlic bread's price.
  • Quasar likes this

#20 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

i don't mind buying some iceberg lettuce and making a salad, just a simple one i guess would be the best thing. i've got tons of cherry tomatoes, well hopefully i will still have them by then.

Goodness - I do too! cherry and roma!
  • Quasar likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users