6 replies to this topic

#1 Mary

Mary

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

Saw this today and thought to myself what a wonderful idea. Wouldn't it be nice if the citizens of Jeffersonville would do something like this. But then thought the problem around here would be finding a place where the city and Mayor Moore would allow the portable houses to go. It is always a matter of NIMBY around here.

http://www.goodnewsn...y-together.html
  • IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny and Tina like this

#2 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

We talk of Jeff, but Clarksville is just on the other side of the interstate, part of it is on a bus route....maybe Clarksville could also contribute ideas on where these shelters could go.

#3 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

Saw this today and thought to myself what a wonderful idea. Wouldn't it be nice if the citizens of Jeffersonville would do something like this. But then thought the problem around here would be finding a place where the city and Mayor Moore would allow the portable houses to go. It is always a matter of NIMBY around here.

http://www.goodnewsn...y-together.html

I love that the are on wheels and have handles like a rickshaw. I'm sure they could sleep a little easier knowing their belongings were safe inside with them!

#4 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

That would be a great thing to do and would not be too expensive. There is another link to a guy that built some using what is called Coroplast.http://www.ksl.com/?...6227623&nid=148 Its like cardboard but plastic. It's flexable, waterproof and would make a great shelter. These would be much cheaper to build than ones made fully from wood and easier for the homeless to move. I know of a place that sells the coroplast for about $10 a sheet and they might be cheaper once they know what it's for and might have some that is not good looking like having a mark or stain but would still work.
  • Overit likes this

#5 Mary

Mary

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

I think it is a community wide problem that requires community wide participation-so yes Clarksville too. I mean I am no expert, but I would think that there are several factors that have to be taken into consideration when deciding on a place to help locate the homeless. One it needs to be near the bus lines or near major roadways, near to a source of food, have some type of bathroom facilities/shower accessible. I often wonder about the area behind the old Colgate plant, maybe a small piece of the land can be sectioned off to house portable housing for the homeless and some sort of shower house built, or though it is much further out, what about some of the old base housing on the IAP land-now River Ridge I think.

#6 John Tanner

John Tanner

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:56 AM

wait... ummm... if they move into houses... are they still homeless?

Also, there's a ton of houses to the north of river ridge... in past the railroad tracks there

Not exactly all the comforts of home (Look like they were last occupied in the 1940's) but..... GOT to be better then a bridge

#7 Leinenkugels

Leinenkugels

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

This may sound stupid but wouldn't they be a fire hazard. Looks like if one caught on fire (say by smoking) all of them would go up in smoke.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users