38 replies to this topic

#21 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

Exit 0 has a webpage and fb page with that type of information. A Google and a fb search should get you there.

Those Exit 0 works with have assisted in Henryville following last year's tornadoes, and the organization, those they serve and hundreds of volunteers do clean ups that extend beyond the immediate areas where people are camping and include litter left by others.

Those on the street also support each other.

#22 Brian Coffman

Brian Coffman

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

This is a tough issue and I do understand the outrage. However, I do also see the other side of the equation from the business perspective. I have gone to that particular Thorntons many times for gas and Diet Coke. While there I have been confronted on many occasions by homeless people wanting money. They actually used to hang out there and you would get hit every time you filled up. "You gotta few bucks bub? I am out of gas and need enough to get me a few miles? I gotta get to Georgia by this evening." I am a guy that tries to help as I can and have actually talked to many and bought my share of breakfast sandwiched and sodas for them. However, I do see how this can cost the business as after a while as many people will stop coming to get gas there because every time they do they get accosted like this. IT is a tough problem and I wish I had a good answer. However, having police called and the stories I hear on this page is really overkill in my view. I really wish I could give a decent middle ground here but I am afraid I am at a loss.
  • kentuckiana likes this

#23 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

Y'all must look richer than me because before the recent problems, I visited that Thorton's at least once a day, sometimes more and rarely got asked for money. On the few occasions I have been asked, assuming it's not someone I know and/or an especially good story given while I have cash on me and I oblige, my no has been responded to with a thanks or God Bless, neither of which I find particularly menacing.

Further, that Thornton's is right off an exit. People really do get stranded, have their cars breakdown, etc. The random guy bumming for gas or a fan belt doesn't really have a connection to or reflect upon the local homeless population.

The solution is rather simple: treat people like individuals. By all means, bar a troublemaker from the property. Call the cops on a shoplifter. Tell a pro to do her marketing elsewhere. Call 911 and try to help if someone is being harmed.

Oh, and the Golden Rule.
  • JeffResident likes this

#24 Exit 0

Exit 0

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

This is a tough issue and I do understand the outrage. However, I do also see the other side of the equation from the business perspective. I have gone to that particular Thorntons many times for gas and Diet Coke. While there I have been confronted on many occasions by homeless people wanting money. They actually used to hang out there and you would get hit every time you filled up. "You gotta few bucks bub? I am out of gas and need enough to get me a few miles? I gotta get to Georgia by this evening." I am a guy that tries to help as I can and have actually talked to many and bought my share of breakfast sandwiched and sodas for them. However, I do see how this can cost the business as after a while as many people will stop coming to get gas there because every time they do they get accosted like this. IT is a tough problem and I wish I had a good answer. However, having police called and the stories I hear on this page is really overkill in my view. I really wish I could give a decent middle ground here but I am afraid I am at a loss.

I want to share a email we received this week right when things started. Keep in mind we met this family at Thorntons with a similar story. What you do does impact that person you helped, its just you never see them again to respond back to you... Read below.... Also UMC Lunch still on the table let me know when you are ready........
You were an absolute life-changer for us. The tank of gas you took from your pocket changed our lives. I hope you can count us among your success stories. Now that we are getting on our feet, I will repay the favor. Please know that I keep you in my prayers. My only coat came from exit 0. You made a difference. Please accept a very private thank you

Edited by Exit 0, 18 July 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#25 Peanut

Peanut

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:51 AM

I hate to say it, but some of the homeless choose to be homeless. I understand jobs are hard to come by at this time, but some are just lazy. I do agree there should be a day center for these people to go, a place they can get help to find jobs. As for the veterans, they should be taken care of. They did fight for our freedom. Thank you veterans.
  • kentuckiana likes this

#26 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

I agree, know, some people that are homeless choose it. However, unless an individual chooses this then demands assistance, I don't know why it matters. As I understand it, the Buddha chose to be homeless, too.

Lazy? If one wants an easy life, living exposed to the elements with no way to protect your possessions other than carrying them with you all the time, carrying your water, hiking to restroom facilities, etc., really isn't the best choice.Therefore, the person who chooses this either is not, in fact, lazy, or they have a mental disability that renders them incapable of recognizing their own hardship and is consequently in need of assistance and worthy of compassion.

Edited by kelley, 23 July 2013 - 07:25 AM.

• GrumpyGranny, Quasar, Overit and 3 others like this

#27 Crusenin

Crusenin

Councilman

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

I stopped going because of the homeless problem there...same reason I stopped going to the McDonald's down there. So I can not blame Thorton's one bit.
  • kentuckiana likes this

#28 masey

masey

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

This is a situation that really doesn't have a good outcome. I can understand the business not wanting people hanging out on their property or asking customers for money. I do not stop at places that have people hanging out no matter how they are dressed. I find it interesting that some say that the homeless are harmless and I am sure most are, but nobody knows what another person will do, homeless or not. It has to be hard work to be homeless and would'nt. choose it for anyone. Getting out of that situation has to be almost impossible without help. I think there is a difference with being homeless and being street people. I think a person can be homeless but at the same time has people that help them. Street people are pretty much on their own. Just my opinion.
  • kentuckiana likes this

#29 Peanut

Peanut

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

I do agree with what you all say, however, at one point in my life I was homeless in this town. I was a step above pan handling. I did work day labor and used that money to pay for the hotel at Bills Lounge, a meal a day and alcohol. That was 20 years ago, I was tired of that life style and changed it. My two brothers and I lost our father last year. My younger brother has been an alcoholic for over 20 years and a typical street bum. We tried over and over to get him help but he refused. Since our father passed he received over $10,000.00. He is broke with nothing to show for it, he is still homeless. He like a lot of other homeless will stay homeless as long as they continue to abuse alcohol. It's hard to separate those that choose to remain in that situation from those that fell on hard times. Like most Americans, I too struggle with money and paying the bills, but I do give when I have a little extra.
  • SandS and kentuckiana like this

#30 Overit

Overit

Closed by Request

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

I don't believe alcoholism, drug addiction and mental illness are choices people make. There but for the grace of God............

Any person and any family may face it and when they do you never know which ones will be able to rebuild their lives and which won't.
I have lost 4 brothers, 1 sister, both parents and my first husband in the past with a couple of them dying in my arms. I picked myself up and went on.

The past year I have dealt with a situation so life altering that I can completely understand why some people turn to alcohol or drugs and give up on life. I don't think I am the only one on here that has come to understand that this past year. It is just my opinion but I believe finances are not the main reason people wind up homeless.

This may not make sense but there are times when life sucks the very existance out of you. If one does not have a strong support system it would be easy to wind up exactly where these people are....broken....alone and relying on alcohol or drugs to dull the memories and the pain.

There but for the grace of God............
  • GrumpyGranny, kelley, SandS and 4 others like this

#31 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

I used to always get gas in the mornings at Thornton's on Court Ave. However, it takes every ounce of everything good I can muster to get myself out of the house and on my way in the mornings. Like everyone else, I have my demons and they tend to confront me in the mornings. After several occasions of being asked for money by the homeless in that area, I have stopped shopping there. I do not even stop there in the afternoon. I am blessed with the ability to work and make a living and I make the right decisions on how to manage my money. I do give. I do donate. I should not be hassled by strangers asking for a handout. There are probably many more customers like me who have taken their business elsewhere. I know there are organizations that help the homeless. I have to believe that the ones who are panhandling are the ones who do not want help from the system. I have no pity for someone who chooses that lifestyle.
  • 09FLHX and kentuckiana like this

#32 Peanut

Peanut

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

Thank you Karen, that is what I was trying to say. When I give money and it's not that often because I struggle like others, but when I do I hope they buy food with it instead of beer.
  • kentuckiana likes this

#33 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:20 PM

I haven't been hit by panhandlers much but I have to say they're not just at the Thornton's on Court Ave. I was approached by a panhandler at the 10th St Thorntons and Advance Auto, and last week my hubby was approached as he came out of Heuser Hardware, by a woman driving a car. My mother was approached by a man at Kroger on 10th...Can't say these people "looked" homeless or were homeless, can say all asked for gas money and indicated cars or were in/standing near a car. Oh, did have a guy that "looked" homeless ask me for a cigarette at the Court Ave McDonalds 3-4 years ago....
  • kentuckiana likes this

#34 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

I really struggle with this. I am a very kind person and have helped many less fortunate when I could. Heck, I have a few less fortunate in my family. I have helped them but when it is obvious that they are not willing to help themselves, I stop. I would like to know how many of the homeless that Exit 0 helps are recently needy or have been on the streets for awhile and are making this their life. If I could get a handle on this, it may help me. I have recently lost a very dear friend that volunteered for years at the Community Kitchen. I'm thinking of spending my energy/money there as memorial to her.
  • kentuckiana likes this

#35 Peanut

Peanut

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

Two years ago at Christmas time I had a woman at the stop light at 10th and Spring ask me for money because she stated she had no money for Christmas gifts for her children. I gave her the $20.00 I had in my wallet. I never forgot that woman. I only hope that money went for gifts. I will never know for sure.
  • GrumpyGranny and kentuckiana like this

#36 Peanut

Peanut

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

Sounds like a good idea Karen if you can afford it. I tried to help my brother 10 years ago. He moved in with me and my husband. The only thing he couldn't do was drink in my house. He had 6 months to get a job and save his money so he could get his own place to live. I didn't know how bad his alcohol problem was. He lasted 2 weeks then I had to kick him out. He threatened to kill me over and over. He stalked me, put bad notes on my car so I called the police. They found him and put him in jail. I almost lost my whole family because I offered to help him. Some people just don't want a hand up, they want a hand out. He did the very same thing to my older brother as well. I give up. What will be will be.
  • kentuckiana likes this

#37 Mary

Mary

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

When I used to work outside of the home, I would keep loaves of bread and jars of peanut butter in the back of my car as well as plastic knives. When I would be approached by a homeless person or someone holding a sign wanting money for food I would give them a loaf of bread, jar of peanute butter, and a plastic knife. I figured at least they would have something to eat that would last them a few days or that could share with others. Those who really needed a meal accepted it, those who probably wanted the money for something else turned it down. At least I attempted to help.
  • kelley, Bigfoot and kentuckiana like this

#38 Ray Lawrence Parker

Ray Lawrence Parker

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

It's a tough issue. I would like to help everyone who asks, but I don't always do it. Sometimes I give them money even if I suspect that they just want to buy alcohol. One guy told me as much, and I rewarded him with a $5 bill. I appreciated his candor. Other times I resent the intrusion and do not want to be bothered. It's not very kind of me to say, but it often just depends on my mood.
  • kentuckiana likes this

#39 backinthegame

backinthegame

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

Sometimes we forget how rich these people are. Some people are poor, all they have is money. I have had great conversations with the homeless. Please don't forget we all come from the same father.

• kelley, Overit and kentuckiana like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users