38 replies to this topic

#1 Exit 0

Exit 0

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:59 PM

So today while I sitting at hardee's eating breakfast with several of the exit 0 guys when 3 of the homeless come over to me stating Thortons has told them they don't want there business and threw them out (Trying to buy polar pops and breakfast sandwiches). So glad I was here I walked in spoke to Cory who asked me you with them people I asked who them people are and he tells me the homeless. Also Cory made a comment also of We Don't want there money so now waiting on the law & the Thortons manager also this Thornton refused a paying homeless veteran as well for coffee who bothers nobody. After speaking to the cops 3 Homeless being barred from the property. When I asked what names from the manager & JPD who was barred and we get a stupid look and said oh i don't know there names so basically if you look homeless you have a 100% chance of being kicked off the property and the cops called on you even if you are paying for your own drinks and food. Pretty Sad we get our guys food stamps so they can attempt to do things on there own and even this fails them due to ignorance in the city of Jeffersonville. This is the business that supports Mike Moore we guess and we are sure Mike Moore is proud of this with how the homeless are being treated at the thortons in his home town. Thortons has lost our business we spend easily several hundred dollars a month in this store for fuel, Ice and water and emergency food etc. We will be contacting corporate as well regarding this nature guess this is the new thing for Jeff turn away the homeless from using there own foodstamps or money in order to attempt to survive in the community.

• Bigfoot and bobolantern like this

#2 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

I do not shop at that store often but I will make sure to never shop there again. If you don't have luck with corporate I will take all my Thortons business elsewhere. There is no reason to refuse a paying customer.
  • GrumpyGranny, Exit 0 and Donna like this

#3 GOB

GOB

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

So today while I sitting at hardee's eating breakfast with several of the exit 0 guys when 3 of the homeless come over to me stating Thortons has told them they don't want there business and threw them out (Trying to buy polar pops and breakfast sandwiches). So glad I was here I walked in spoke to Cory who asked me you with them people I asked who them people are and he tells me the homeless. Also Cory made a comment also of We Don't want there money so now waiting on the law & the Thortons manager also this Thornton refused a paying homeless veteran as well for coffee who bothers nobody. After speaking to the cops 3 Homeless being barred from the property. When I asked what names from the manager & JPD who was barred and we get a stupid look and said oh i don't know there names so basically if you look homeless you have a 100% chance of being kicked off the property and the cops called on you even if you are paying for your own drinks and food. Pretty Sad we get our guys food stamps so they can attempt to do things on there own and even this fails them due to ignorance in the city of Jeffersonville. This is the business that supports Mike Moore we guess and we are sure Mike Moore is proud of this with how the homeless are being treated at the thortons in his home town. Thortons has lost our business we spend easily several hundred dollars a month in this store for fuel, Ice and water and emergency food etc. We will be contacting corporate as well regarding this nature guess this is the new thing for Jeff turn away the homeless from using there own foodstamps or money in order to attempt to survive in the community.

I'am sure there is another side to this story?

#4 GreenShoes

GreenShoes

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

Who cares what the other side of the story is? The bottom line is these were paying customers and their money isn't good enough? I'm sure SOME of the homeless around town have made things difficult for Thorton's at times, but do you punish everyone for the actions of a few? That's just bogus. Was someone stealing? Was there a fight or threats or some sort of altercation? If there was, I HIGHLY doubt Paul would have taken up for the person in the wrong. It sounds to me like Thorton's is doing a wonderful job of discrimination and I would definitely take it to corporate. Better yet, see if you can find a lawyer in town willing to do some pro bono work. Yes, there are laws and those laws should be followed. But to ban people just because they appear to be homeless even when they are spending money and/or food stamps in the place is just plain wrong. I wonder what would happen if I "looked homeless" and tried to buy something in there? Hmmmm...
  • GrumpyGranny, Exit 0 and Donna like this

#5 MBHeights1

MBHeights1

Top Retired Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

Unless I am mistaken, private business does have the right to refuse service to anyone.
( Not condoning their actions, just pointing this out)

• 09FLHX and technology overloaded like this

#6 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

Pretty amazing... any word in the press on this or word back from Thortons?

I'm not suggesting anything here... but wouldn't it be hysterical to flash mob this place? Everyone dress down a bit and a couple hundred apparent homeless people walk in all at the same time and buy a fountain drink? Could tip off the press and have 4 or 5 news crews there just for fun... :D
  • GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#7 JeffResident

JeffResident

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

In the past two weeks, while pumping my gas at that same Thornton's, I have been approached by people begging for money three times. As a paying customer, I consider that harassment. Now I know it doesn't sound like it's the same gentleman you're referring to, but I'm going to take my business elsewhere if they can't take care of that problem.

Much like everything else when it comes to the overall problem of homelessness, there is no cut and dried solution to one problem, and making the Thornton's into some kind of corporate boogeyman that hates the homeless might not be altogether fair.
  • Beading Lady, 09FLHX and Leinenkugels like this

#8 Exit 0

Exit 0

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:53 PM

Here is the statement that was sent to us from Thorntons...... and today we had Cops running Ids and issuing warnings and citations to the homeless without even making it to the door ..... and even a citizen went into thorntons tonight to see what was going on roughly 2 hrs ago here is his comment as well this was After the letter below.

Just this evening I dressed in dirty stained clothes and went to Thornton s and bought a coke stood outside and was asked to leave and was told the police were called. earlier today I went in there in nice clothes no bad looks or any thing what's up with that? profiling maybe?

Upon receiving the concerns surrounding a recent event at our location in Jeffersonville, Indiana, Thorntons began an internal investigation to evaluate what took place. This is a very sensitive subject and therefore we have worked quickly and diligently to understand the circumstances surrounding this event.

As a local family owned business, we value each and every customer and community we serve. We strive to provide a safe, friendly environment for our customers and team members along with being a responsible corporate citizen. Occasionally, we encounter an issue where we must make a difficult decision to ensure the best possible experience and safety for everyone we serve. In order to provide the best possible experience for all, we may on occasion ask a customer to leave the store.

Our customers are all part of the Thornton’s family and community. We appreciate everyone and therefore strive to provide a safe, non-harassing environment. We sincerely apologize to anyone who perceives that we did anything other than to uphold these values and hope you know how much we appreciate your business and our community.

#9 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:51 AM

That letter from Thorton's seems to have danced around the issues at hand. Needless to say I will not visit that location again and will avoid any Thorton's if I have another choice. I hope you can find some legal council to help you on this issue. Once they realize how much money the homeless brought to that station it will be too late.

#10 GOB

GOB

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:20 AM

They already realized how much money they have lost with the panhandlers there , after Mcdonals closed.

#11 hoosiertaxpayer

hoosiertaxpayer

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

Probably going to get bashed for this but here goes....This is a tough issue for businesses. most businesses try to create a clean, attractive, pleasant, atmosphere for their customers. And while the homeless should be able to spend their money as well, some of them have a tendency to loiter on the premises, panhandle which some customers do not appreciate.

In my opinion those loitering, panhandling are hurting the homeless that make their purchases and move on....I realize these people have no where to go and that is why a day shelter like the one proposed downtown would have been a partial solution...but that was shot down....

This is not only a tough issue not only for society but businesses as well....While you want to be accommodating to all customers, you don't want your higher paying customers harassed by panhandlers and loiterers ....and businesses have a choice on who to serve and not, it's a business decision...not defending Thornton's as they make a ton of money,,,and they could have handled it better...just saying it's a tough issue for everyone involved...

It all comes down to what I said before...everyone seems to understand and want to help the homeless as long as it's not too near to their own homes...

Edited by hoosiertaxpayer, 16 July 2013 - 09:09 AM.

• IntegrityMatters, MBHeights1, GrumpyGranny and 4 others like this

#12 Leinenkugels

Leinenkugels

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

I'm sorry but being harassed as I am pumping gas or getting something inside for spare change is something I don't want to see. There have been reports of drug deals going on in and around that area for time. I do not want to pull-up to a business with 6 or 7 people loitering inside or out. I also saw one of the "homeless vets" with a sign get into his car parked at McDonalds before they tore it down. Didn't look to me like he was actually homeless. I am worried about the safety of my family and the loss of business that this may cause. I applaud the area businesses and families who have my safety as a top concern.

#13 Exit 0

Exit 0

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

Probably going to get bashed for this but here goes....This is a tough issue for businesses. most businesses try to create a clean, attractive, pleasant, atmosphere for their customers. And while the homeless should be able to spend their money as well, some of them have a tendency to loiter on the premises, panhandle which some customers do not appreciate.

In my opinion those loitering, panhandling are hurting the homeless that make their purchases and move on....I realize these people have no where to go and that is why a day shelter like the one proposed downtown would have been a partial solution...but that was shot down....

This is not only a tough issue not only for society but businesses as well....While you want to be accommodating to all customers, you don't want your higher paying customers harassed by panhandlers and loiterers ....and businesses have a choice on who to serve and not, it's a business decision...not defending Thornton's as they make a ton of money,,,and they could have handled it better...just saying it's a tough issue for everyone involved...

It all comes down to what I said before...everyone seems to understand and want to help the homeless as long as it's not too near to their own homes...

Hoosier Everyone has there comments and we respect that :o)
  • MBHeights1 and Bigfoot like this

#14 GreenShoes

GreenShoes

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

I'm sorry but being harassed as I am pumping gas or getting something inside for spare change is something I don't want to see. There have been reports of drug deals going on in and around that area for time. I do not want to pull-up to a business with 6 or 7 people loitering inside or out. I also saw one of the "homeless vets" with a sign get into his car parked at McDonalds before they tore it down. Didn't look to me like he was actually homeless. I am worried about the safety of my family and the loss of business that this may cause. I applaud the area businesses and families who have my safety as a top concern.

#15 GreenShoes

GreenShoes

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

Seriously? Concerned for the safety of your family? Do you even KNOW any of the homeless in town? It's honestly laughable to me that you think your family would be harmed by any of the homeless population in Jeffersonville. And what exactly does the homeless population have to do with the "drug deals" you say have been reported? Are you insinuating the homeless of Jeff are also using/selling drugs? That's what it sounds like to me. You were bragging about how involved you are with the homeless and charity and blah blah blah, but to assume that just because a man has a car he's not homeless is completely ignorant IMO. The fact that Thorton's served a clean-clothes man, then a few short hours later called the cops on him because he appeared "dirty" tells me they are profiling and discriminating. I realize they have the right to refuse service to anyone, I get that. But to harass people, call the cops, etc- that's ridiculous. 90% of the homeless population means no harm- they just want to make their purchases and be left alone. It's the other 10% that's causing problems for everyone. I used to go to that Thorton's several times A DAY when I lived in that neighorhood and yes, I was approached by homeless and the needy. I NEVER carry cash (and this was before I carried McD's free food cards) so most of the time I had to tell them sorry, I don't have any cash on hand. And never, NOT ONE SINGLE TIME, did anyone get upset, aggressive or mad that I didn't give them something. Sorry to ramble, but ignorance is a pet peeve of mine...
  • kelley and Donna like this

#16 Exit 0

Exit 0

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:16 PM

http://www.wdrb.com/...omeless-problem Meet Mike the Vet who was banned
  • kelley and Quasar like this

#17 JeffResident

JeffResident

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

. Sorry to ramble, but ignorance is a pet peeve of mine...

Sorry you think other people's concerns are ignorant.

I have a son who is a toddler. Like I said, I have been approached AT THE PUMP three times in the past month at that Thornton's. All three times, it's been with my kid in the car. Now, maybe I am not personally acquainted with all the homeless people in Jeffersonville like some of you are. But with my debit card out, and my kid in the car, anyone who would approach me and ask for money at that certain point is going to be treated with rudeness, no matter who they are and what situation they're in. I DON'T know who they are, I DON'T know if they're going to pull out a knife, a gun, or make a grab for my kid - BECAUSE COMMON COURTESY DICTATES THAT YOU DON'T COME UP FROM BEHIND PEOPLE IN THOSE SITUATIONS!

That Thornton's no longer gets my business because of this reason.

And there's nothing wrong with the concerns the other poster expressed. If you're saying that 10 percent of the homeless in Jeffersonville are the problem, I think you can assume we're not talking about the other 90 percent.
  • TLIES likes this

#18 GreenShoes

GreenShoes

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

I'm not saying people's concerns are ignorant. The way these people are being treated at Thorton's is IGNORANT and demeaning. Their $5 is just as good as yours or mine. My daughter has been with me several times at the same Thorton's when we lived down there. She wasn't a toddler but she was old enough to wonder why I was (or wasn't) giving them money. I took it as an amazing opportunity to teach my daughter several lessons- #1. Look how lucky you are because these people have NOTHING. They have to beg for money. #2. No matter how bad you think things are, there's always someone with something worse going on. #3. Giving is better than receiving. To this day she yells at me if I don't give money to the people standing on the corners at intersections. I still don't carry cash very often but I do carry food gift cards. Instead of treating people with rudeness, how about we all try a little kindness? I'm pretty sure Kelley and Paul can back me up here- no one is in danger when one of our homeless approaches you. He/she isn't going to pull a knife or try to rob you, they aren't going to hold your kid or wife hostage and make you drive them to the ATM. They are all just trying to SURVIVE on the streets.

#19 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

None of them that I'm aware of, and people can be violent when they have a place to stay and money in their pocket. One thing has little or nothing to do with the other.

#20 umc

umc

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

This may sound odd, but the homeless have a marketing problem. Their brand sucks. It causes negative perceptions in the community and people simply don't feel comfortable around what they don't understand. I hope to get to sit down with Paul soon and want to talk to him and learn about the homeless and their plight. More than that, I'm a guy that is often strapped for time and can't take on a lot of projects no matter how much I would like to, but I wonder if there is a way to change their brand and would love to discuss ideas.

How about a website with video interviews of the various homeless people that are local, giving them a chance to show their humanity, maybe even accepting donations to help out Exit 0. I don't know if the homeless really care about what others think in the world they face daily, but I would think some dignity would help them feel better about themselves. Not sure what some of them or they as a whole are capable of, but what if they pitched in and cleaned up a park now and again? The community would then feel like they were giving and not just taking, and that might help with their public perception. Take it a step further. What if some of them got together and did something simple like cleaning up the Thornton's parking lot? Companies often pay for such services. They don't require a degree or any special skills, just a little labor. Could that bring some money into Exit 0, or the homeless directly?

If there was a way to get them to organize and do some things for themselves, and maybe many simply are not capable due to physical or mental reasons, they might be able to gain some respect. Respect is a basic human need, and only with that can they start to have hope or want to change.

Maybe I'm just delusional. Again, I hope to speak to Paul and find out what the issues and abilities are in those that he serves. I just think that there is opportunity to better their plight and perception, but I worry that the limitations of the individuals may hinder that. I hope they can. Everyone deserves some dignity and to find their place. Certainly there is something within that community that can be tapped into to make their lives better.
  • UnlessSomeoneCares and JeffResident like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users