• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

Hearing there is some trouble in Hill n Dale this afternoon... I'm told that our K9 KILO has been shot... I sure hope this report is wrong.

SELLERSBURG, Ind. -- Police in Sellersburg, Ind. are responding to a report of a man who has barricaded himself in a home.
Details are still limited at this time, but police and a SWAT team have surrounded a home in the Hill n Dale subdivision in Sellersburg.

http://www.whas11.co...-212788851.html

http://newsandtribun...ed-to-be-inside

http://www.wdrb.com/...-in-sellersburg

#2 richardweed

richardweed

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

heard on my scanner when they sent the dog in, there were several shots fired from inside the house,,, thats the last they heard of the dog and that was 2 or 3 hours ago

#3 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

Scary stuff, just down the road too! :(

#4 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

http://www.wdrb.com/...-in-sellersburg

#5 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

I've heard it was an officer shot. They're en route to U of L ER. I'm going to walk over there and poke around.

Yes, I've heard this too now... ugly stuff... I hope the officer is going to be ok.

#6 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

Last I heard on the radio a few min ago is that a officer from Clarksville was shot and Kilo was killed. It's a sad day.
  • Donna likes this

#7 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

Last I heard on the radio a few min ago is that a officer from Clarksville was shot and Kilo was killed. It's a sad day.

SELLERSBURG — A Clark County Sheriff's Department officer has been shot in the leg following a standoff at a Sellersburg home, according to an Indiana State Police spokeswoman. The officer's name was not immediately released and Sheriff Danny Rodden declined to comment when contacted by phone.

http://newsandtribune.com/local/x182747441/Police-surround-house-in-Sellersburg-armed-man-believed-to-be-inside

A police officer and a police dog were shot during a SWAT standoff in Sellersburg, Ind., according to an Indiana State Police dispatcher.
The shooting happened around 3 p.m., the dispatcher said. The wounded officer was taken to University of Louisville Hospital.
More than a dozen gunshots could be heard at the scene of the standoff, which involves law enforcement officers from Clark County, the Indiana State Police, Sellersburg and Charlestown.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20130624/NEWS02/306240054/Shots-fired-SWAT-standoff-Sellersburg?odyssey=mod%7Cbreaking%7Ctext%7CHome

#8 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

:no: .........Dammmm........... :sad:

[attachment=758:Kilo.jpg]

RIP..........

:mad: .......hope'a azzhat git's the dirtnap over 'is dog.........

(cower'dly bastige prolly do hisself.......they usually do.......POS...... :mad: )

Oh....... :logik: ........Swift recover fer the LEO as well.......... :thumbsup:

Edited by Bikerdude, 24 June 2013 - 04:22 PM.

• Donna and backinthegame like this

#9 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

:hmm: ........Well........rec'n the dude 'aT KILL'T THE DOG..........git's ta breath 'nuth'r day.....
http://www.wave3.com...pect-in-custody

s'prised the dude did'n git'a .308 Win ta the head (or .300 WinMag.....whutever they use'n these days...)...... :whistle: .......anyways.....

:logik: ......WHY........in'a HEdouble LL......would they send 'at dog in'ere?....... :logik: .......know'n......'is azzhat's got 2 handguns on'im?.....?........can anybody tel'me 'at?........any LEO's 'round wanna weigh in ? I mean.......'bout'a same's as go'n ta the top the Kennedy an' pich'n the dog off.......ain't it?...... :hmm:

Kudo's ta the poor Dog........ :bye: ........I hope.........he did'n have ta lay there an' suffer........ :sad:
  • GrumpyGranny, Quasar, beatleschick and 2 others like this

#10 backinthegame

backinthegame

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

:hmm: ........Well........rec'n the dude 'aT KILL'T THE DOG..........git's ta breath 'nuth'r day.....
http://www.wave3.com...pect-in-custody

s'prised the dude did'n git'a .308 Win ta the head (or .300 WinMag.....whutever they use'n these days...)...... :whistle: .......anyways.....

:logik: ......WHY........in'a HEdouble LL......would they send 'at dog in'ere?....... :logik: .......know'n......'is azzhat's got 2 handguns on'im?.....?........can anybody tel'me 'at?........any LEO's 'round wanna weigh in ? I mean.......'bout'a same's as go'n ta the top the Kennedy an' pich'n the dog off.......ain't it?...... :hmm:

Kudo's ta the poor Dog........ :bye: ........I hope.........he did'n have ta lay there an' suffer........ :sad:

I don't understand why he had to go into the house. I would like to thank you for always showing kindness to animals . My animals mean everything to me. I sure hope this beautiful animal didn't have to suffer also.
  • beatleschick and Donna like this

#11 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

Does anyone know why this K-9 Officer was sent in alone-unprotected? He was wearing a bullet proof vest but I thought they always had a human with them.

The police should have known they were sending him in to his death, to face a crazy bi-polar psycho capable of anything who had already shot the robot out (I assume).

They are supposed to charge this idiot with killing a K-9 Police Officer in the line of duty. When someone does that is as serious as if the dog were a human police officer....it is to me too.

I was so upset when I heard that they saw him go in and heard shots and never saw him come out.

Some tv stations were insensitive enough to not even mention Kilo at first.

After I saw pictures of him it made me even sadder, was he a Shephard or a Belgian Malinois? Those Malinois are awesome, one went in after Ben Ladin. I have been wanting one but to get one already trained like the police dogs are cost about $25,000 to $30,000.

They said something about establishing a memorial fund for Kilo but if the officer decides to get another K-9 I don't think they are, guess it will go towards getting the other dog.
At first they were saying the dog was a State Police dog at the beginning of the stand off.

RIP sweet Kilo-you did your job well and with a brave heart...you will be missed, even by those who were never lucky enough to know you.

Edited by jiyabird, 25 June 2013 - 10:43 PM.

• ChopperWoman, beatleschick and backinthegame like this

#12 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:14 AM

Does anyone know why this K-9 Officer was sent in alone-unprotected? He was wearing a bullet proof vest but I thought they always had a human with them.

The police should have known they were sending him in to his death, to face a crazy bi-polar psycho capable of anything who had already shot the robot out (I assume).

<snip>

In hindsight I'm sure they wish they hadn't sent him in... the perp shooting the dog is something that seems they should have anticipated. Nobody walked the dog in because it was obviously such a high risk situation...
  • GrumpyGranny likes this

#13 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

In hindsight I'm sure they wish they hadn't sent him in... the perp shooting the dog is something that seems they should have anticipated. Nobody walked the dog in because it was obviously such a high risk situation...

And for that reason alone, the person who made the decision ...if they have a heart at all...will have to live with the guilt the rest of his life.
I was always under the impression these dogs responded instantly to verbal commands from their handlers. What was Kilo supposed to do..disarm the guy, handcuff him and drag him out by himself?
I bet some hotshot commander with a higher ranking than the handler demanded that Kilo be sent in alone.
I bet the handler is broken hearted right now and probably very angry and rightfully so.
  • beatleschick likes this

#14 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

The ISP K-9 program is run on donations only. Any money donated to the Kilo fund will go to help fund training of new K-9's for the State Police. Kilo was stationed at the Sellersburg post. He was the only K-9 Officer for this post.

#15 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

The rest of the story...

ISP Trooper Nathan Abbott and his K-9 Kilo later arrived at the rear of the residence.

“Trooper Abbot gave repetitive verbal commands that he was going to release his K-9,” according to the affidavit. “Once the K-9 was released, Trooper Abbot again gave loud verbal commands that the dog had been released.”

K-9 Kilo then went down a hallway of the home, while six policemen made entry into the residence.

“As officers were inside the residence, shots were fired from a back room where K-9 Kilo had went toward,” according to the affidavit.

Whelan advised that at this time, “rounds came through the drywall toward the officers.”

Abbot called for Kilo, but was unable to get the dog to respond after the shots were fired. Kilo was later found to be deceased from Priddy’s gunfire, despite the bullet-resistant vest the K-9 was wearing.

http://newsandtribune.com/x331665415/Standoff-suspect-charged-with-7-attempted-murder-counts

#16 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

The rest of the story...

ISP Trooper Nathan Abbott and his K-9 Kilo later arrived at the rear of the residence.

“Trooper Abbot gave repetitive verbal commands that he was going to release his K-9,” according to the affidavit. “Once the K-9 was released, Trooper Abbot again gave loud verbal commands that the dog had been released.”

K-9 Kilo then went down a hallway of the home, while six policemen made entry into the residence.

“As officers were inside the residence, shots were fired from a back room where K-9 Kilo had went toward,” according to the affidavit.

Whelan advised that at this time, “rounds came through the drywall toward the officers.”

Abbot called for Kilo, but was unable to get the dog to respond after the shots were fired. Kilo was later found to be deceased from Priddy’s gunfire, despite the bullet-resistant vest the K-9 was wearing.

http://newsandtribune.com/x331665415/Standoff-suspect-charged-with-7-attempted-murder-counts

Thanks for the information Quaser, I do not get the paper so would not have known any of this. At least the sweet thing was not alone in that house when it happened. Appreciate your posting.

#17 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

About Kilo's memorial service...

Troopers hold emotional memorial service to honor fallen canine officer

By GARY POPP
gary.popp@newsandtribune.com

NEW ALBANY —

Indiana State Police Trooper Nathan Abbott said his longtime partner made the ultimate sacrifice while in the line of duty at a standoff last month.

“Kilo saved my life and the lives of my friends that day,” Abbott said, remarking on the events in Sellersburg that also resulted in Clark County Sheriff’s Detective Chris Proctor receiving a bullet wound to his knee.

Kilo — an ISP K-9 and the only service dog killed on the job since the agency’s inception in 1932 — was honored Monday at a service in New Albany. Kilo was fatally shot June 24 during a nearly 10-hour police standoff at a Sellersburg home.

http://newsandtribune.com/x1696740813/K-9-Kilo-honored-at-memorial

#18 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

I caught that on the tv last night and thought it was a very touching ceremony.
It was awesome to see the long line of Canine Officers sitting at attention for their fallen comrade.
The only thing....I HATE cremation. ...it is as if the person or creature never existed and there is nowhere to go and pay respect.
To each his own though.
  • beatleschick likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users