• This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

#1 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

By July, 2010, Supermike had bought the software still being used for the site, and he and Coltsfan had set up the current Clark County Chatter. I doubt either of these young men got much sleep in the month or so between the closing of the free forum Chatter and the opening of the current site. After being on the admin side of the site myself, I can say there are hundreds of files on two different sites involved in setting up/maintaining the Chatter. That SM and CF accomplished so much in such a short time proves their dedication to the site, and their desire to provide the forum for the citizens of Clark County and others who participate in the Chatter. They continued to fine tune the site, adding features like the school forum and the calendar. I don't believe they ever called it done...the site continued to evolve with the intent to make it the best forum of its kind.

SM and CF again enlisted the help of forum leaders and moderators to ensure the TOU were followed, hoping to make the forum enjoyable to many. Of course there have always been people who have joined the site with the apparent intent of keeping members stirred up. This still holds true today. A few members were banned when warnings, discussion or attempts to be reasonable failed.

There were expenses involved with the new site; the cost of the software and license renewal, cost of the domain name, etc. SM accepted donations from members to help with the expenses until a couple of members, now former members, began questioning what he did with the money, did he pay taxes on it, etc. I couldn’t understand the former members’ interest in the site’s finances, so assumed this was just another effort to cause trouble. As one who had donated, I didn’t see the need to question the use of my donation.

Finally, SM set up advertising spots which could be purchased on the site and quit accepting donations. The revenue from the advertising would cover expenses and he hoped to build up a little extra in order to make donations to worthy causes in the Chatter’s name. I believe he was able to do that.

I had difficulty sleeping, and not much of a life outside the Chatter, so it wasn't unusual for me to sign on to the site in the wee hours, 2 or 3 am. It also wasn't unusual to see SM or CF signed on at that time also. I often wanted to play "mama" and say "go to bed!". I don't know how they made it as long as they did, burning the candle at both ends...

In February, 2011, SM and CF decided they needed to step down. Both men are young, married with small children...families that need their attention, jobs to go to... jobs that were being threatened by one or two former members of this site. In other words, they had their family's wellbeing and security they had to put before this forum.

SM and CF asked the forum leaders/mods if any were interested in taking over the site. They wanted someone who would work to continue the Chatter as they had. They felt their only other option was to shut it down. The Chatter had approximately 950 members at this time.
  • cindiloohoo, Quasar, JinThePoet and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users