39 replies to this topic

#21 JHSBaseball

JHSBaseball

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

Guess it shows what i know!!! Good job UL on winning there 3rd NCAA championship.

Enjoy being number 1 for now!!!

#22 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

Looking over who Louisville is keeping... They will very good next year too...

#23 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

I'm not a Kentucky fan... however I know a lot of them and talking with them throughout the NCAA tourney many are really upset with Cal. They don't understand how the team did so bad this year, not even making the NCAA's. Then to get knocked out in the 1st round of the NIT was humiliating.

I think Cal better get his ducks all lined up... because if he has another bad year next year, they'll be searching for a new coach.
  • CaptainPicard likes this

#24 JHSBaseball

JHSBaseball

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

I know that i was a frustrating down year for UK. I know that coach Cal didn't have the quality point guard that he has had in years past.

I'm disappointed with what they did this year but by no means am i looking for a new coach even if he has another year like this year (which he won't).

Like him or not and whether you think he can coach or not, UK will be back next year.
  • Jeff all my Life likes this

#25 umc

umc

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

I may dislike UK, particularly because of their fans, but even their fans aren't crazy enough to run Calipari off even if they had another bad year next year. They also have some talent staying over from this year, plus a great incoming class, so they'll do well in my opinion. I'm not ready to anoint them with the 40-0 year and automatic NCAA Championship that some of their crazed fans are predicting, but I do think that they'll do well. How well depends on lots of things, from injuries to how the team gels throughout the course of the season.

#26 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:13 PM

Oh, I think Kentucky will be keeping Coach Cal. Maybe the other two schools, one of which lost to UK twice and the other that couldn't even make the NIT, will be looking for a new coach.

#27 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

Oh, I think Kentucky will be keeping Coach Cal. Maybe the other two schools, one of which lost to UK twice and the other that couldn't even make the NIT, will be looking for a new coach.

I hope and pray that IU fires Tom Crean and hires a real coach... 

I personally would have fired Pitino when he embarrassed UofL with his booth bimbo episode... 

For me the verdict is still out with Cal... when he can get his freshmen pointed in the right direction they can do amazing things... however when they are off, they're off. His recent performance certainly gets him a pass for a while, but he better keep that team in the NCAA's or the fans will turn on him. 

#28 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:22 AM

I hope and pray that IU fires Tom Crean and hires a real coach...

I personally would have fired Pitino when he embarrassed UofL with his booth bimbo episode...

For me the verdict is still out with Cal... when he can get his freshmen pointed in the right direction they can do amazing things... however when they are off, they're off. His recent performance certainly gets him a pass for a while, but he better keep that team in the NCAA's or the fans will turn on him.

Three Final Fours in four years. Oh I think the verdict is squarely in (realistically it should have been after 2012) and its all great. He's averaging 30 wins a season at Kentucky in his five years. Anybody who suggests otherwise is probably just jealous because there is no reasonable argument to suggest otherwise.

Edited by Jeff all my Life, 31 March 2014 - 10:24 AM.

#29 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

Three Final Fours in four years. Oh I think the verdict is squarely in (realistically it should have been after 2012) and its all great. He's averaging 30 wins a season at Kentucky in his five years. Anybody who suggests otherwise is probably just jealous because there is no reasonable argument to suggest otherwise.

No... I think there is some room for legitimate doubt. Getting his ass kicked in the 1st round of the NIT was a pretty sad deal... then he could not get the best recruiting class in the country to play ball until the tournament. That's cutting it a a little too close...

Those Kentucky boosters are a fickle bunch, Cal better work on being more consistent... 

However he's in the final four, and if that team stays focused they may well pull off the championship... that would give him a pass for a couple of years!  :yes:

#30 woo

woo

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:49 AM

AMEN!

#31 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

No... I think there is some room for legitimate doubt. Getting his donkey kicked in the 1st round of the NIT was a pretty sad deal... then he could not get the best recruiting class in the country to play ball until the tournament. That's cutting it a a little too close...

Those Kentucky boosters are a fickle bunch, Cal better work on being more consistent...

However he's in the final four, and if that team stays focused they may well pull off the championship... that would give him a pass for a couple of years! :yes:

No there is not. Did his best player get hurt and he went to the NIT? Yes.

But in his five years at Kentucky he's averaging thirty wins, he had three final fours and a national title. You're more than welcome to find someone who's had a better run recently, but you'll be looKing for a while. (Probably would have to go back to the turn of the century and Tom Izzo)

The system works and the coach is a perfect fit.

Edited by Jeff all my Life, 31 March 2014 - 11:10 AM.

#32 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

No there is not. Did his best player get hurt and he went to the NIT? Yes.

But in his five years at Kentucky he's averaging thirty wins, he had three final fours and a national title. You're more than welcome to find someone who's had a better run recently, but you'll be looKing for a while. (Probably would have to go back to the turn of the century and Tom Izzo)

The system works and the coach is a perfect fit.

Calm down... it's ok... lol. I didn't mean to cause you any stress by picking on Cal...

He's the best damn coach ever! That better?  :thumbsup:

#33 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

Calm down... it's ok... lol. I didn't mean to cause you any stress by picking on Cal...

He's the best diddly-dang coach ever! That better? :thumbsup:

No stress caused. I just don't see how any realistic person can find fault. Those results are elite.

#34 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

BTW. Perks of being a moderator: they can cuss and my quoting them gets auto corrected. Haha.
  • Quasar likes this

#35 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:55 AM

No stress caused. I just don't see how any realistic person can find fault. Those results are elite.

I suppose we just have to agree to disagree... In my book I want to see consistency... Not champs one year and NIT losers the next. Nothing Elite about that...

#36 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

I suppose we just have to agree to disagree... In my book I want to see consistency... Not champs one year and NIT losers the next. Nothing Elite about that...

I'll just point out that every expert will tell you that Billy Donovan is an elite coach.

#37 smellslike

smellslike

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:11 PM

Quasar, if you want consistency than lay off of Crean. Other than 2012-2013 season he has been pretty dang consistent. Atleast with him I don't have to worry about whether I will miss any sleep watching the Hoosiers in the NCAA tournament.

• Quasar likes this

#38 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:55 AM

Quasar, if you want consistency than lay off of Crean. Other than 2012-2013 season he has been pretty dang consistent. Atleast with him I don't have to worry about whether I will miss any sleep watching the Hoosiers in the NCAA tournament.

LOL... this is true...  :thumbsup:

#39 Barber Academy

Barber Academy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:48 PM

I think its time to admit that while coach Cal is a good recruiter, he is average at best, as a coach.... What do you think?

Went to the national championship game by going through the toughest bracket with a bunch of freshmen......... yeah because anyone could have done that.

#40 Ray Lawrence Parker

Ray Lawrence Parker

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:07 AM

Went to the national championship game by going through the toughest bracket with a bunch of freshmen......... yeah because anyone could have done that.

Well, to be fair, he did start out with a team that was ranked number 1, loaded with NBA future all stars that some predicted to go 40-0......So it's not as if he started with a bunch of ragamuffins and honed them into superstars. They were all NBA-bound before they ever came there.  He did get them to play better than they did at the start of the season, though. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users