39 replies to this topic

#1 letmebeme

letmebeme

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

I think its time to admit that while coach Cal is a good recruiter, he is average at best, as a coach.... What do you think?
  • Quasar, DadOf3 and umc like this

#2 umc

umc

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

I think that he's a fantastic marketer, which translates into recruiting, but I think that his alliances with certain characters makes some of that suspect (ala World Wide Wes). He offers kids what they want, a quick trip to the NBA. It is his sales funnel, so to speak. He identified a market and plays to it well, though as a fan of college hoops I'm not a fan of that style, where it is truly no longer about anything more than being a farm team for the NBA. I'm sure that it was awesome to win the NCAA title, but those kids were playing for their interest in the professional aspirations, not for the university and fans. They have another great crop of future one and done players coming in next year though. I think that they'll be back in the title hunt next year.
  • Quasar likes this

#3 letmebeme

letmebeme

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

Well said.. I just think that his recruiting completely carries his coaching ability. He has 5 "all-star" recruits now and can't win with them... Seems like he only wins when he has "for sure" NBA players on his teams.... And that includes Memphis
  • Quasar likes this

#4 09FLHX

09FLHX

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

Another down year like this one and the UK nation will throw him to the wayside just like Gillispie, Tubby and the rest. There will never be another Pitino for Kentucky. He rebuilt the program from Sutton's recruting scandal and lead them to the 1996 Championship and aguablely another under Smith's reign. BBN better hope they can find another saving grace to rebuild the program after Calipari does his damage to the program....Its only a matter of time.
  • Quasar and letmebeme like this

#5 JHSBaseball

JHSBaseball

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

I think its time to admit that while coach Cal is a good recruiter, he is average at best, as a coach.... What do you think?

You are just now realizing that Cal is a good recruiter? I believe that you are way off base saying that he is an 'average' coach.

#6 JHSBaseball

JHSBaseball

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

I think that he's a fantastic marketer, which translates into recruiting, but I think that his alliances with certain characters makes some of that suspect (ala World Wide Wes). He offers kids what they want, a quick trip to the NBA. It is his sales funnel, so to speak. He identified a market and plays to it well, though as a fan of college hoops I'm not a fan of that style, where it is truly no longer about anything more than being a farm team for the NBA. I'm sure that it was awesome to win the NCAA title, but those kids were playing for their interest in the professional aspirations, not for the university and fans. They have another great crop of future one and done players coming in next year though. I think that they'll be back in the title hunt next year.

He has distanced himself from World Wide Wes.

He is the head coach at the UNIVERISTY OF KENTUCKY, he doesn't need anytbody else. That is all that he needs now to recruit and get the top players in the country year in and year out. He recruits within the rules that the NCAA, and there infinite wisdom, have set forth. He just happens to be a lot better than most of the other coaches.

#7 JHSBaseball

JHSBaseball

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

Well said.. I just think that his recruiting completely carries his coaching ability. He has 5 "all-star" recruits now and can't win with them... Seems like he only wins when he has "for sure" NBA players on his teams.... And that includes Memphis

The reason that this team has not won as much as the others is because the players have not been able to buy into his system. Listen to him talk, he takes the blame for this year. The players have not bought into what he is teaching, play for your team mates and not yourself.

Anybody that can take the top talent in the country and get them to play at a team and win games is a great coach. You don't win by being an 'average' coach.

#8 JHSBaseball

JHSBaseball

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

Another down year like this one and the UK nation will throw him to the wayside just like Gillispie, Tubby and the rest. There will never be another Pitino for Kentucky. He rebuilt the program from Sutton's recruting scandal and lead them to the 1996 Championship and aguablely another under Smith's reign. BBN better hope they can find another saving grace to rebuild the program after Calipari does his damage to the program....Its only a matter of time.

Cal will be at UK as long as he wants to be there. Cal is going to leave Pitino in his dust. Pitino was what UK needed at that time. Tubby ran his course at UK and was not getting the top recruits and was not going to win a national champioinship so it was time for him to leave. Remember that he won the 98 title with Pitino's players and i think that Tubby is a good enough coach to get the 98 title.

Billy G was just a bad hire, IU fans know about bad hires, and he needed to go when he did. Billy G threw himself to the 'wayside' by the way he handled himself while he was there.

09FLXH you will have to tell me who the 'rest' are.............

As far as your 'there will never be another Pitino for Kentucky' statement, that's a good think. Pitino will not win another title is his career. UK will win 1 or 2, maybe even 3 titles before UL or IU will win 1.

Edited by JHSBaseball, 12 March 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#9 umc

umc

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

He has distanced himself from World Wide Wes.

He is the head coach at the UNIVERISTY OF KENTUCKY, he doesn't need anytbody else. That is all that he needs now to recruit and get the top players in the country year in and year out. He recruits within the rules that the NCAA, and there infinite wisdom, have set forth. He just happens to be a lot better than most of the other coaches.

Really? Why is Wes spotted at games then? Do you really think you can have people help you get to the top and then drop them? That's the delusion of a UK fan. Yeah, sure, these kids are just coming for the love of a school that they'll stay at for maybe seven months, lol. Those kids don't care about UK, they are there for one reason, a quick path to the NBA, not for the university, education, or fans.
  • Quasar, 09FLHX and letmebeme like this

#10 letmebeme

letmebeme

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

Average coaches win big with great players...period! An above average coach wins big with average players....period! He has never won a championship without NBA caliber players and everybody knows this. Is the no name coach at Miami a great coach.... No.... But he might win many more championships depending on how long his GREAT PLAYERS stay there. Cal is a average coach who ONLY wins with great players...

#11 JHSBaseball

JHSBaseball

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

Really? Why is Wes spotted at games then? Do you really think you can have people help you get to the top and then drop them? That's the delusion of a UK fan. Yeah, sure, these kids are just coming for the love of a school that they'll stay at for maybe seven months, lol. Those kids don't care about UK, they are there for one reason, a quick path to the NBA, not for the university, education, or fans.

What game did you spot him at? I doubt that you have been to any games so if that is the case, who told you that they saw him at the games?

Nobody said anything about going to a particular school for the "love of the school" we all know why these kids go to school, its because they have to. It just so happens that Cal is able to recruit and get these players to help them, the university, and him win games and then for most of them to move on to EVERY (IU and UL players too) players dream, playing in the NBA. Isn't that what its all about?

Most of the players that IU and UL recruit are not able to move on to the NBA after 1 season so don't be a hater!

Delusional? Don't think so! Just a fan of UK that is happy to have coach Cal for as long as he wants to stay!

How about if you post or repy you go ahead and let everybody know what school you are a fan of! Obviously i am a UK fan

#12 umc

umc

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

A quick google image search will show you Mr. William Wesley at games. You can also read articles about him and his ties. It is out there, it isn't hard to find. I did a quick search and found several. Not to mention times when I've seen other people show still images of the tv screen online as images pointing him out. That's why I said delusional, because there are many UK fans I know that will straight up deny facts like that. They think that the university is the Mecca of all college sports and that players go there for that reason only, which is delusional. They weren't flocking their under Billy G, nor were they under Tubby. Seems like Cal has a magic pipeline, and being involved with guys like Drake and Jay-Z and Lebron through guys like Wes certainly doesn't hurt things now does it? I can find photos of those guys with the team too if you like. I stumbled across many while checking out the Worldwide Wes photos earlier.

Is the ultimate goal the NBA? For certain players, yes, though obviously not all. No, I disagree that it is all about playing in the NBA and that players only go to college because they have to. That's a very shallow look at what college basketball is all about, in my opinion. Only a small percentage ever get to play in the pros, and an even smaller percentage actually does anything there. I'm not hating on UK simply because I am a Louisville fan, but I'm also not going to drink the Kool-Aid and say that because Cal recruits only guys that want to leave as quickly as possible that UK sets the example by which all schools follow.

I've actually got a family full of UK fans, and work with many in my business. I know some that have expressed concerns over Cal and his affiliations, particularly with his past, and the previously unseen recruiting trail that he's blazing above and beyond the likes of any other coach. Hey, I don't blame you for enjoying the ride, just don't deny the realities. Then again, many that I knew wanted nothing to do with him and thought he was scum at Memphis (including UK's AD who wouldn't go after him after Tubby but then finally gave in due to pressure to win) seem to have forgotten all of that and love him now. Denial runs amok in the land of sports fans, and that really goes for all fan bases on different levels. I get frustrated with my own fellow Cards fans at times.

Like I said initially, I think that Cal is a great marketer. He surrounds himself with the right people and projects the right image. I'll also add that I think he may be a great manager of people, in that he can mesh together guys that are very talented and get them to share the ball. But I don't think that he's a great coach, like he's diagramming great strategies. He's taking phenomenal talents and letting them do their thing, which again is fun for the fans and I get that. But that doesn't mean that he's a great coach.

As I mentioned, I'm a Louisville fan. Pitino has his own issues and skeletons in his closet personally that I have zero respect for. In fact, I'm not a huge Pitino fan, but I do respect his coaching ability. But we weren't discussing Louisville, so I discussed the subject of the thread that was started.
  • Indiana82 likes this

#13 letmebeme

letmebeme

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

UMC, that is a great post..... Maybe the best I have ever read
  • umc likes this

#14 letmebeme

letmebeme

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

And this proves my point.... Great coaches DONT get beat by Robert Morris....period!

• umc likes this

#15 09FLHX

09FLHX

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

Pitino will not win another title is his career. UK will win 1 or 2, maybe even 3 titles before UL or IU will win 1.

I hope to make you eat this statement in April :D
  • SandS and umc like this

#16 umc

umc

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

I too am hoping for a Louisville title run. That's the thing about the tournament though. Anything can happen. One off night, running into a team hitting everything they throw up, a bad call, a sudden injury, and the better team can lose to anyone, well, except to a 16 seed (though that will happen eventually, best chance is wku this year IMO). The only team that really concerns me overall is the Hoosiers. It would be an awesome final game. It starts tonight. Hopefully we don't throw a clunker out there or run into a buzz saw before the big one.
  • Quasar likes this

#17 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

And this proves my point.... Great coaches DONT get beat by Robert Morris....period!

THIS! I'm still shaking my head...
  • Bigfoot and umc like this

#18 umc

umc

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

THIS! I'm still shaking my head...

.....And I'm still grinning. :yes:
  • Quasar, 09FLHX and JHS1982 like this

#19 CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

As far as your 'there will never be another Pitino for Kentucky' statement, that's a good think. Pitino will not win another title is his career. UK will win 1 or 2, maybe even 3 titles before UL or IU will win 1.

You might want to re-think that statement. LOL
  • Quasar, DadOf3, Bigfoot and 1 other like this

#20 DadOf3

DadOf3

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

Hey, JHS Baseball....how do you like your crow served???
  • Bigfoot likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users