127 replies to this topic

#1 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

This GORGEOUS (seriously not being sarcastic) was on the market for over a year and a half.

http://siramls.rapml...nM2Ho=&KeyRid=1

Right near Jeff Boat, about 2 blocks from the Steamboat Museum, it has an inground/indoor pool, and beautiful old architecture. The owner was only asking $130,000 before taking it off the market last month. Granted, it needed work, but I could see this as a gorgeous bed and breakfast. Or just a lovely home for someone that loves downtown Jeff.

Personal question for anyone willing to answer - why do you think it couldn't sell?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Looks like it would cost a small fortune just on exterior maintenance to whip it back into shape...

#3 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

I can see overgrown landscaping, but from the pictures I don't think the house's exterior looks all that bad.

Was $130,000 overpriced for a 3500+ sq ft home with an inground/indoor pool?

Edited by Tina, 22 February 2013 - 02:55 PM.

#4 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

I don't believe the house looks quite as good in reality as it does in the pics and I agree with Q, it would take a small fortune to rehab the outside alone. I also don't think a B & B a block from Jeffboat's noise and appearance would do very well. Not everyone would consider a pool (indoor or outdoor) an asset, either...just another expense.

Edited to add...I do think it could be a lovely home.

#5 MBHeights1

MBHeights1

Top Retired Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

I see it everyday....

It is in terriblle condition, and it is right next to Jeff boat.
Lots of air polution in that location.

#6 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

So what price do you think it would need to be at if it were to sell?

#7 MBHeights1

MBHeights1

Top Retired Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

$49.95
  • TLIES likes this

#8 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

I have always loved that house! My hubby on the other hand says it reminds him of a "money pit". Just from looking at the outside, it does appear to need TLC plus the location is not ideal. It is going to take the right person to purchase it, no matter what the price.

#9 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Got any pics of the interior? How old is the roof? The HVAC system? Has any insulation been added to the structure? Looks like original windows, probably drafty and heating it would cost a fortune. A lot of variables...

#10 Jules

Jules

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

The interior is in very similar, if not worse, condition as the exterior...The pool hasn't been used in a very long time and may not even be functional...To bring that house up to what it could/should be to be liveable I bet you're looking at over a quarter million easily...I like Jeff...I like old houses, ( that someone else has rehabbed)...And I even half-like the location, but I don't think it's worth what it would take to bring it back to its former glory at that location...Unless you're a tradesman who could do all the work or someone who has the money and just loves that kind of project and isn't worried about ROI.

At one times I'm sure it was a lovely home.
  • GrumpyGranny likes this

#11 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

There are some pics of the interior in the link above the pictures.

#12 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

It has 17 rooms but only 3 bedrooms? Wonder what the other 14 rooms are? Living, dining, kitchen, 2 baths, laundry...they account for 5 more..."cozy hearth room", there's 1 more (although I've seen bigger walk in closets).

I think I'll stay in my big ole barn of a house...

#13 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

it shoulda sold for 130,000 no matter what it needs. just need to find the right buyer.

#14 backinthegame

backinthegame

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

I always look at this home while on Utica Pike . I would like to ask a question is the housing market going to recover anytime soon . There are five homes for sale on one street in our neighborhood . I had a friend tell me a home sold for around 40,000 in Northaven about a few weeks ago because the bank owned it . At this rate we will be in our home for a long time .

#15 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

Wish I knew backinthegame!

Sales have picked up a bit, which is good for Realtors. But the prices haven't gotten back to where they were even pre-bubble. I think it will still be some time before all the foreclosures are out of the way. Inventory (and especially foreclosures) needs to drop some more before prices will go back up.

#16 Not Super But Honest Mike

Not Super But Honest Mike

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

Tina, opportunity is knocking on your door. Why don't YOU make them an offer and open your own bed and breakfast?

The photos look a lot better than reality. I lived about 1/2 block from there for 11 years and i can tell you the Jeffboat noise and overspray can be hard to get use to. If JB wasn't there the house would bring $130,000. Because of JB expect about $75,000

#17 RiverFox

RiverFox

Resident Historian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

They should never have cleared the corner of that block.
Even with JB right across the street, the trees blocked a lot of
the light and noise and gave it some seclusion.
  • kelley likes this

#18 Beerguy

Beerguy

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

I'd like to see what the outside looks like after 20 - 30 gallons of Round-up gets sprayed on it.

#19 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

Tina, opportunity is knocking on your door. Why don't YOU make them an offer and open your own bed and breakfast?

The photos look a lot better than reality. I lived about 1/2 block from there for 11 years and i can tell you the Jeffboat noise and overspray can be hard to get use to. If JB wasn't there the house would bring $130,000. Because of JB expect about $75,000

Do I get taxpayer funds?
  • djr likes this

#20 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

The interior is in very similar, if not worse, condition as the exterior...The pool hasn't been used in a very long time and may not even be functional...To bring that house up to what it could/should be to be liveable I bet you're looking at over a quarter million easily...I like Jeff...I like old houses, ( that someone else has rehabbed)...And I even half-like the location, but I don't think it's worth what it would take to bring it back to its former glory at that location...Unless you're a tradesman who could do all the work or someone who has the money and just loves that kind of project and isn't worried about ROI.

At one times I'm sure it was a lovely home.

:logik: .............?............. :logik: ...........Huh...... :blink: .......could'a sworn I heard sumthin' ...... :wacko: ....... :shrug:

:tongue:
  • Quasar likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users