12 replies to this topic

#1 Darklady109

Darklady109

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Please help me out I'll be moving from Louisville soon and need to find something in Southern Indiana only.Let em know the best places and ones to stay away from.I want no drug activity,no bedbugs and no gangs of kids/teens running around.OR SLUMLORDS!!! Is that too much to ask for?? (: /

#2 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Semi-Retired

• Administrators
  • 4,265 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

Welcome to the Chatter, Darklady109!

You may want to give members a bit more information. Are you hoping to find an apartment or house? How many bedrooms do you need? I know some of the apartment complexes only offer 1 or 2 bedroom apartments.
  • Darklady109 likes this

#3 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

Price range would also be good. I live at Lighthouse Apt and they offer 1-3 bedroom units but are on the higher price side. They are nice places without any of the issues you listed. a 2 Bedroom 2 Bath runs around $770.
  • GrumpyGranny and Darklady109 like this

#4 Darklady109

Darklady109

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

Would need 2(maybe 3) bedrooms 2 bath.Sounds like Lighthouse is nice but too pricey.What do they include in that fee Bigfoot?What utilities would I pay..etc..??650.700 dollar price range,most likely..thanks.Any other suggestions?What to steer clear of??

#5 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

It's total electric. they provide water/sewer and trash pickup.

Tina may be able to provide some more infomation on places as she is a Realtor for the area.

Edited by Bigfoot, 11 February 2013 - 12:17 PM.

#6 GreenShoes

GreenShoes

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

Lakeview in Sellersburg is awesome. 2BR 2BA is $725/mo. I'm a single mom, my daughter stays home alone sometimes and I've never once worried about her being there. I walk my dog at 1am, 2am- never had a problem. I only pay electric (plus cable, internet, etc).

If you need something cheaper, I used to live in The Woods in Jeffersonville. It's directly across from Jeff High. They only have 1 and 2 bedroom apartments, the 2BR has 1.5 bath and is a townhouse setup. Quiet, safe, extremely affordable IMO. Pretty sure you pay gas and electric there.

Let's see...places to steer clear of: Lafayette Square on 10th Street in Jeffersonville, Las Casitas/French Quarter on 8th Street in Jeffersonville, Allison Circle on 10th Street in Jeffersonville- those 3 come to mind. Mayfair on 10th Street is pretty decent but I've never lived there.

I work in social services and have to help clients find housing- I have a pretty good idea of what's good and what isn't. If you have any questions, please ask...and good luck!!

#7 MBHeights1

MBHeights1

Top Retired Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

What to steer clear of??

Anyplace with the word "Casa" in the name.

#8 jiyabird

jiyabird

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

What to steer clear of? Anything remotely close to Riverside and Spring or you will literally have an extremely "LOUD" band in your living room nearly every Friday and Saturday night from Spring thru Fall, frequent fireworks for any feasible reason , a sermon every Sunday and an exercise class to boot in addition to a music concert every Wednesday, the last day of the month from across the river. Of course you might want to live like that.... then this would be the area for you.

Edited by jiyabird, 11 February 2013 - 07:25 PM.

#9 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

Anyplace with the word "Casa" in the name.

Hahahahahhahahahahaha.... :tongue:

#10 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

What to steer clear of? Anything remotely close to Riverside and Spring or you will literally have an extremely "LOUD" band in your living room nearly every Friday and Saturday night from Spring thru Fall, frequent fireworks for any feasible reason , a sermon every Sunday and an exercise class to boot in addition to a music concert every Wednesday, the last day of the month from across the river. Of course you might want to live like that.... then this would be the area for you.

Ya mean......?...... the ZOOMBA's?.........LOL!........ :laugh: :tongue:

#11 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

Tina may be able to provide some more infomation on places as she is a Realtor for the area.

I don't usually have much help in the way of rentals.

But with rates as low as they are, if your credit is decent, it's cheaper to buy than rent these days!

http://www.bankrate....alculators.aspx

You could probably spend around 100k or so with that budget range.

Edited by Tina, 11 February 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#12 umc

umc

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

The payment on buying may be low, and certainly the interest rates are, but just remember when buying that you not only have taxes/insurance, but repairs and general maintenance. In the past few years I've needed a new roof, hvac system in its entirety, and water heater. If you are stretching your dollars already, be sure to look past the payment alone, no matter how good the market or interest rates are. It can save you from going deeper in debt to perform repairs if you don't have the ability to spend much.

#13 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

The payment on buying may be low, and certainly the interest rates are, but just remember when buying that you not only have taxes/insurance, but repairs and general maintenance. In the past few years I've needed a new roof, hvac system in its entirety, and water heater. If you are stretching your dollars already, be sure to look past the payment alone, no matter how good the market or interest rates are. It can save you from going deeper in debt to perform repairs if you don't have the ability to spend much.

Agree. But even factoring in all that, if the buyer spends less than $90k (of which there are plenty on the market) their principle payment would be less than $400. Even with taxes and insurance it would be well under the budget given. And with each payment they are building some equity, unlike with rent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users