#81 JHS1982

JHS1982

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:32 PM

Not the good ones...

Not true, MB. I played for some of the best coaches in the state of Indiana (one a hall of famer), & one of the best all time in the state of Kentucky (another hall of famer), and they ALL used a salty word every now and then. Some not as often as others, but it WAS used!! So there's NO WAY you can make a carte' blanche statement like that. I'll put the coaches credentials I played for up against ANYONE that claims "they weren't good ones," as your statement seems to imply!! Sorry.......once again, I'm not trying to be confrontational, and maybe this is just your opinion (and we all know what they say about those).......but the statement can't be taken literally, just because a coach has used "salty language" (that they're not a "good coach" because of it). I've been there, done that. ALL coaches have different styles. For every "good," non-cursing coach you can name, I can name one that cursed like a sailor, and EVERY player that ever played for him loved him and would run through a brick wall to please him. And those coaches were VERY successful, in not only the sport they coached, but teaching their players about the game of life!!

I'll get off my soapbox now......just don't want to see a witchhunt on any coach that may use a curse word or two at times. I'm not saying that's your position. AND there are parameters that must be adhered to (see my previous posts, can't be personal, etc., etc.). But a curse word every now and then is useful as a teaching tool......just ask any Marine Corp drill sgt., etc., etc. Granted, our kids are NOT in the military, but it can be a useful tool to get attention and emphasize a point!!

Just my opinion (uh-oh......there I go with THOSE "stinky things" again). Happy Wednesday to 'ya, MB. Hope the rest of your week is a good'en!!

Rod Daily
  • jsummerfield likes this

#82 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:54 PM

My whole point is this: By the time my child is in high school, I have NO problem with a coach / teacher using a little "salty language" with my children to get a point across, provided that (a) it DOES NOT get personal, (b) my child is being treated fairly, and © it's used in a manner to emphasize an important situation that my child may be oblivious to. I don't believe in stroking my kids egoes, and whether we like it or not, this is how the world operates......the sooner we can ready our high school kids to the cold, cruel world, the better. Isn't that what high school is for?? Just the way I see it........if that makes me a bad father, well.......I guess I'm a bad father because that's what I believe. As I previously stated, my coaches had a "salty" word or two with me over the years, and it got the point across, and I learned from it!! And believe it or not, it didn't kill me or hurt my "child psyche."

Once again, we can agree to disagree like you said, and whether you believe it or not, I DO understand and respect your position. I just think terminating a teacher, coach, etc. that uses some salty language, in context, is harsh. But with your position, I'm curious how you address what I've raised above. If you choose not to, I understand as well, as this is an uncomfortable subject for some people.

Happy Hump Day IM.......same goes for everyone else out there. Hope you've all had a good day. Friday's right around the corner!!

Rod Daily

Rod, I am afraid we will just have to disagree. If you believe we should "ready our high school kids to the cold, cruel world", I wonder if you think we should provide all of them with a gun and train them how to use it? I believe that studying or reading works of literature is quite different than a teacher/coach using foul language within a classroom or on the sports field which is directed at their students. But that is my opinion and you have yours. I agree with Overit's husband.... "if you wouldn't say it in front of your mother or your six year old, then just don't say it". Hopefully educated adults can make a point without using foul language. If they can't, then that is sad. While it may not offend your child, remember that your child is only one of the players on the team. It may be quite offensive to another. Better just to not say it at all in my opinion. Have a nice weekend too. IM p.s. I took 3 years of Latin in high school (ugh) and the only "salty" words I ever remembered from my Latin teacher was one day when he said to the class....."now remember that there are 3 Latin words that all mean "where".......Ibi, Ubi and Unde. Ibi - where, Ubi-where and Unde-where" !!

#83 JHS1982

JHS1982

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

See you in the funny papers. Have a great day Rod.

Ha-ha backinthegame......without exception, one of my FAVORITE commercials of all time!! Believe it or not, I've been saying this
(HUUUUUUMP DAAAAAAAY..........YEAH!!!!) for years in pretty much the same way portrayed in the commercial!! Ha-ha......too funny!! Thanks for posting!! And by the way: Happy HUUUUUMP DAAAAAAAY........YEEEEAH!! :-)

Rod
  • backinthegame likes this

#84 JHS1982

JHS1982

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:35 PM

Rod, I am afraid we will just have to disagree. If you believe we should "ready our high school kids to the cold, cruel world", I wonder if you think we should provide all of them with a gun and train them how to use it? I believe that studying or reading works of literature is quite different than a teacher/coach using foul language within a classroom or on the sports field which is directed at their students. But that is my opinion and you have yours. I agree with Overit's husband.... "if you wouldn't say it in front of your mother or your six year old, then just don't say it". Hopefully educated adults can make a point without using foul language. If they can't, then that is sad. While it may not offend your child, remember that your child is only one of the players on the team. It may be quite offensive to another. Better just to not say it at all in my opinion. Have a nice weekend too. IM p.s. I took 3 years of Latin in high school (ugh) and the only "salty" words I ever remembered from my Latin teacher was one day when he said to the class....."now remember that there are 3 Latin words that all mean "where".......Ibi, Ubi and Unde. Ibi - where, Ubi-where and Unde-where" !!

I respect that, IM!! I do think the comparison you make to "provide all of them with a gun and train them how to use it" vs. my statement of "preparing them for the cold cruel world" is taken WAY out of context and is like comparing watermelons to sunflower seeds.......chances of a child encountering someone with a gun having to defend his self / her self in the cold cruel world, vs. preparing them for someone that will use "salty language" in their presence is like comparing night and day. But I understand your premise!! (Oh......and let me be clear that I'm a FIRM believer in the 2nd Amendment!! But that's another topic!!)

Look, I don't want ANY of my Chatter friends thinking I'm some kind of lawless heathen (ha-ha......although there's some that know me that would say that's a hopeless case and already think lowly of me!!), so let me state this: I'm NOT an advocate of the f-bomb........but there are other words that some consider profane that I think can be used in a context to emphasize a point, grab a kid's attention, etc., etc. And we ALL have to remember this: Most high school teams have tryouts......unlike the "everybody gets a trophy" philosophy we NOW treat our kids with, you had to MAKE a high school team back in the day. NOTHING gives a kid the RIGHT to play on a high school team!! He / she has to survive the cut to make it. If they can't take a little cursing (once again, NO ridiculous tirades, nothing personal, etc., etc.), then maybe that team is not for them!! To fire / ban a coach (especially a successful, effective coach) for using some curse words now and then, I think is wrong. Guess I'm just old school..........it didn't bother me, and it doesn't bother me if my kids catch a few words every now and then to emphasize a point, or if they're deserved!! That's all. Guess we could continue this argument forever........as I said, my only concern is that we start a witch hunt against coaches who sometimes use them effectively. A coach using curse words every now and then no more ensures his failure (or success) anymore than the coach who chooses not to use those words. It's just a different style. They both can find success, but you can't lump all styles together. What's the old saying: "You say toe-may-toe, and I say toe-mot-toe. Oh and one more thing......just because one curses periodically does NOT mean that individual is an uneducated buffoon and can't make a point......they just choose to do so differently!! Just want to point that out!! Truthfully (AND I'M GOING TO GET LAMBASTED FOR THIS STATEMENT), I find people who are always "puppy dogs and sunshine" disingenuous, fake, and offensive every bit as much as someone who gives me a (pardon my French) "d a m n" or "h e l l", etc. every once in a while!! Sorry, I'm being truthful, and "callin' 'em as I see's 'em". Sorry if that offends anyone!!

Truth be said, I kinda liken all of this to Sunday church........many "good Christians" slap one another on the back and shake hands as they greet each other and walk into church on Sunday. But as soon as the service is over and the congregation has gone their separate ways, the gossip flows like wine!! I'd rather have a coach curse a little at my son or daughter vs. the rumors that get started with the scenario referenced above......at least I know the coach is trying to motivate / help my kid, vs. the gossipers trying to bring them down!! I know where I stand with the coach!! That coach is no worse of a person than those referenced above.......just how I see it!!

Thanks everyone. I know you guys are tired hearing my rants, so I will shut up now!! Haven't been on here much lately, so I'm sure you guys are about ready for me to ride off into the sunset again!! So I'm gonna mosey on down the road.......happy trails to you....until we meet again........

Keep it real everyone!! You guys make my "jelly roll." ;-)

Rod Daily

Edited by JHS1982, 07 August 2013 - 10:40 PM.

#85 Overit

Overit

Closed by Request

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:44 PM

I'm still curious as to who is going to decide if the words are "over the top" or not. A father that is attending the game with his 6 year old daughter and a father that is there with his 15 year old son may have very different ideas on what is acceptable.

I learned from my husband that a man doesn't need to bully and swear at anyone to be a man. After 30 years as a postmaster he retired to work with at risk high school kids in Scott County. I never thought of him like this " I find people who are always "puppy dogs and sunshine" disingenuous, fake, and offensive. but you probably would have. He never cussed, but he inspired confidence in some very tough kids. Considering how many attended the visitation and funeral the kids must have respected his leadership skills.
So.......who decides what's ok to scream on the gym floor and what is not? I say danm all the time but I never said it in the classroom. Some people I know are much more offended by sh** than the F-bomb.

There either has to be zero tolerance or somebody needs to make a list. If there needs to be a list made they will have to hire a dirty word checker person in the admin. If they hire a dirty word person in the admin they will need to hire an exec assistant for them. If they hire an exec assistant for the dirty word checker they will realize that isn't enough and they will need to hire an assisitant dirty word checker. If they hire an assistant dirty word checker they will be jealous and want their own exec assistant and of course the assistant dirty word checker will get an exec assistant.

Good grief, can't they just clean up their mouths? It isn't like it is something a person can't control! I figure it would cost roughly $300,000.00 a year plus benefits for the word checkers and exec assistants. Do they reap that much benifit from cussing around kids and the families in the stands?

Edited by Overit, 08 August 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#86 Overit

Overit

Closed by Request

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

Hopefully someone that doesn't mind the foul language a lot of coaches use these days will chime in. Tell us how it can be handled on the high school level so as not to offend students and/or a family in the stands with young children. Who makes the decision for EVERYONE (players...parents of players....the father and young daughter in the bleachers) what is acceptable and what is not?

Before the dirty word checkers are hired they will probably need to hire an outside group to do an extensive study on the entire situation!
  • IntegrityMatters likes this

#87 CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:52 AM

Get your flip-flappin' donkey down and defend the flip-flappin' ball. Stop being a vajayjay.

There is the solution. Put the Chatter filter on a coaches mouth. It works because you don't even want to know what I typed.

Edited by CaptainPicard, 08 August 2013 - 11:53 AM.

• karen, Overit and Tina like this

#88 Overit

Overit

Closed by Request

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:53 PM

I have a feeling you are pretty darn glad it worked though!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users