http://sports.espn.g...ge=keown/110201

#42 backinthegame

backinthegame

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

During the New Albany Jeff boys game I sat behind the JV coach for New Albany while he coached . I will tell you I got up and moved because I couldn't take his language it was so offensive .i'm 44 years old next to me was a five year old thank of that .

I want to push this forward. This was from the beginning of the year nothing new.

#43 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:20 PM

I want to push this forward. This was from the beginning of the year nothing new.

Any elementary, middle or high school coach who uses foul language should be fired immediately. There is NO excuse in my opinion. None. Students are still kids.....even high school seniors. Coaches at this age level should be good role models for students.

#44 JHS1982

JHS1982

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:58 PM

So I'm gonna play devil's advocate, IM.......if a student is heard / caught using foul language, do we expell them?? I'm not an advocate for such language to be used by coaches, but by the same token, firing a coach seems a little harsh. Foul language & sports has been around since Moby Dick was a minnow!! Granted, we should hold our educators / coaches to a higher standard. But unless we're willing to take the same action against students who want to "abuse the privilege," it's somewhat hard to administer such a harsh penalty to coaches. What about teachers who assign & discuss great works of literature......pieces that contain.....ye gads......curse words?? I was assigned & read many when I was in school. They were an important part of my education, as were the many "tongue lashings" I took from my coaches while on the field......believe it or not, they were administered because they cared about me & my success. I understood that, & in the grand scheme of things, it didn't hurt me or fracture my "fragile teenage ego." On the contrary......it motivated me. But I guess maybe I'm wired a little different than most people!!

Believe me......I TRULY understand your premise & the point you're making. But I don't think it's practical.

Just my opinion.......and you know what I say about those!!

Have a great day, IM. And the same goes for all of Chatterland. See 'ya in the funny papers!!

Rod Daily

#45 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

Well, Rod, we will just have to disagree on this one. If a student is heard/caught using foul language, they should be reprimanded of course and told it is unacceptable......just like a parent would their child if they heard them use foul language at home or anywhere else. But one would hope or expect that adults would know better than to use foul language around children. Many students suffer from abusive home situations and hear foul language daily ....and are verbally abused by adults. They shouldn't have to suffer the same at school. Whether you agree with me or not, they are still children. JMO Have a nice day. IM
  • GrumpyGranny and backinthegame like this

#46 CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:20 AM

Any elementary, middle or high school coach who uses foul language should be fired immediately. There is NO excuse in my opinion. None. Students are still kids.....even high school seniors. Coaches at this age level should be good role models for students.

Here's what I wrote in an earlier post:
But in general, there is no excuse for filthy language. You are correct in saying that some of the best leaders cussed like a sailor. But, like it or not, today's world is a different world and many things that were acceptable are no longer tolerated. Sometimes that's good and sometimes that's bad. I could also argue that we have had some excellent leaders and coaches who were good Christian men and didn't cuss at all. Tom Landry and Dan Reeves come to mind. I know some very good high school coaches who don't cuss. The bottom line is either you can lead or you can't. Either you earn your players respect or you don't. One thing that really, really bothers me is the way the F-word has more or less become a part of everyday speech. In my mind that particular word should be a punishable offense for any coach.

Note, I used the word punished. I'm more or less with Rod on this one. The only way it's fire-able to me is if it is a continuing behavior after it has been addressed. No way you can fire someone after a first offense. And, I would have an extremely low tolerance at the elementary level.
  • JHS1982 likes this

#47 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

Coaches swear. Most of the best ones do. High schoolers should be able to handle it. If not this will help them. And if parents or kids don't like it perhaps high school sports is not for you.
  • JHS1982 likes this

#48 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

Coaches swear. Most of the best ones do. High schoolers should be able to handle it. If not this will help them. And if parents or kids don't like it perhaps high school sports is not for you.

Help them? Help them in what way? I think parents who care about their children (and they are children!) would not consider this acceptable. I wouldn't tolerate a teacher using foul language in a classroom and neither would I tolerate a coach doing it either.

#49 MBHeights1

MBHeights1

Top Retired Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

Coaches swear.

Not the good ones...
  • IntegrityMatters and Tina like this

#50 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:04 PM

Coach K, Bob Knight, Rick Pitino, John Calipari. Just to name a few good coaches, in one sport, on one level that cuss like sailors
  • JHS1982 likes this

#51 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

Coach K, Bob Knight, Rick Pitino, John Calipari. Just to name a few good coaches, in one sport, on one level that cuss like sailors

Perhaps they had coaches in high school that lead by example, and thus the cycle begins.

One does not need to swear to be effective. Correlation does not equal causation.
  • IntegrityMatters likes this

#52 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

Life is not all sunshine and rainbows. A coach swearing is fine. The kids will be fine and tougher.
  • JHS1982 likes this

#53 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

Life is not all sunshine and rainbows. A coach swearing is fine. The kids will be fine and tougher.

Aren't all the coaches you name college coaches?? Not high school?

A high school/middle school or elementary coach swearing is not "fine" in my book. Do we really need our children to be "tougher"? Perhaps that is what is part of society's problem today. As for me, I prefer children who are kind and respectful and don't "cuss like sailors". No child or grandchild of mine would play any sport for someone who "cussed like a sailor".

#54 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

Well then as I said, maybe high school sports is for you all then. Everything is not for everyone. Reality of life.
  • JHS1982 likes this

#55 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

Maybe someone has let the new coach know this is being discussed so he will be on his best behavior with the Jeff girls.
They have had a tough time of it the last few years. They, especially the seniors, deserve to have some fun and play some good
ball this season. Let's hope this coach can make it happen.
  • IntegrityMatters, Tina and backinthegame like this

#56 Overit

Overit

Closed by Request

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

Would we allow a high school math teacher to use swearing and yelling as a motivational tool? A coach should not be held to a lesser standard.
Tony Dungy always comes to my mind as a great coach.
  • IntegrityMatters and karen like this

#57 Overit

Overit

Closed by Request

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

These are grown men playing ........not high school

Tony Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

Posted by Mike Florio on August 16, 2010, 12:14 PM EDT

Jets coach Rex Ryan showed on the first episode of Hard Knocks that he can drop “F” bombs with the best of them. Tony Dungy would like to remind Ryan that just because the show is on HBO, that doesn’t mean he needs to talk like Tony Soprano.
Dungy, who in 13 seasons with the Buccaneers and Colts was one of the most mild-mannered head coaches in NFL history, said on The Dan Patrick Show that he thinks Ryan ought to watch his mouth.
“I’m disappointed with all the profanity,” Dungy said. “I think Rex can make his points without all that.”
Asked if he would hire a coach who talks the way Ryan does, Dungy answered, “I would not. I personally don’t want my players to be around that. I don’t want to be around that. . . . It’s hard for me to be around that, and if I were in charge, no, I wouldn’t hire someone like that. Now, I’ve been around ‘F’ bombs, so it’s not like it’s new. I just don’t think that has to be part of your every-minute, everyday vocabulary to get your point across.”
Dungy thinks NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell would be wise to give Ryan a call and ask him to think about how he’s representing the NFL.
“I would hope that he does,” Dungy said of the possibility of Goodell getting involved. “I don’t know that he will or not but I hope that he does because I just don’t think the league needs that. I don’t think our young people need to hear that that’s what’s done to be successful. Because it doesn’t have to be that way.”

Edited by Overit, 06 August 2013 - 02:58 PM.

• IntegrityMatters and Tina like this

#58 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

Different situation. Classroom & the locker room are two different environments. Again maybe sports aren't for everyone.
  • JHS1982 likes this

#59 MBHeights1

MBHeights1

Top Retired Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

Different situation. Classroom & the locker room are two different environments. Again maybe sports aren't for everyone.

Again, we are discussing high school.
These are minors.
Still children under the law.

If a coach were to swear at my child, he would find my boot up his backside.
  • IntegrityMatters and backinthegame like this

#60 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:07 PM

Then maybe high school sports aren't for your family.
  • JHS1982 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users