87 replies to this topic

#21 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

My question would be what qualifies you to determine that the coach does not coach the "basics" of basketball? I feel that in order to come to that conclusion:
1. You yourself must be qualified to teach the "basics" of basketball (Having coached the game or played it beyond HS)
2. You must not rely on hearing this summation from players. There is no way they are qualified to make such a statement nor does a HS player know enough about the game they play as they are not experienced enough at this point in their athletic careers.
3. You must attend a great majority of practices and sit in on coaches meetings about what is expected to be accomplished when teaching the game from day to day.

And . . . That was clearly not a question. I felt it was very clear that #2 was referring to the players not having enough knowledge of the game nor the experience to comment on their coach's ability to teach the "basics".

You are having a tough time understanding this aren't you?

Nope! Pretty sure I understood your gist, just don't agree with it!

#22 backinthegame

backinthegame

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

During the New Albany Jeff boys game I sat behind the JV coach for New Albany while he coached . I will tell you I got up and moved because I couldn't take his language it was so offensive .i'm 44 years old next to me was a five year old thank of that .

#23 JHSBaseball

JHSBaseball

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

Where have you all been living? Under a rock? I DO NOT agree with bad language being used towards kids. But bad language is just as much part of the sport, from players and coaches, as a basketball. Again, i don't like it but it is the way it is.

What is frustrating is that people get on here and give their opinion about someone's coaching ablility of teaching fundamentals and the majority of the time the person that is voicing their opinion has not idea what it takes to play at a 'higher level'. I would venture to say that when you get to high school sports that it is no longer a sport that you participate in. You try out for the team because you want to be on the team and you want to become a better player. Some people have different ways to express and teach their sprots. Bob Knight and Pat Summitt are good examples. But again, you have no idea what Pat Summit said in the locker room before or after a game, UNLESS you were part of the program. Two different approaches with good results. Think Damon Bailey or any other player that played for Knight had no idea what they were getting themselves in to?

If you are truly a follower of JHS girl's basketball then you know that coach Gilbert coached them a few years ago and coached them for several years. Did anybody ever watch him in a huddle of a highly contested game? I watched him coach a regional game at Bedford against Columbus East. During one time out late in the game when his team was struggling he spent the first 30 seconds of a full time out completely 'undressing' his players by calling them 'fu**ing pu***ies', told them that they were 'fu**ing chocking' while making a choking gesture at his throat. Folks this happened during a regional game. There were a lot of people there and i was sitting about 15 rows back and i could hear him. Nothing was said then, i wonder why?????????????

A coach should not use foul language towards his players on a regular basis. But it is his job to teach his players to get better and his job depends on that happening. Unless you are at practices you have no idea what is going on. Don't know the coach but i am sure that if Matt hired him then he is knowledgable of the game. Everybody makes mistakes occasionaly but is this really a reason to start a witch hunt? Let him learn from his mistakes, just like we all do.
  • TuListo and Random Thoughts like this

#24 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

Where have you all been living? Under a rock? I DO NOT agree with bad language being used towards kids. But bad language is just as much part of the sport, from players and coaches, as a basketball. Again, i don't like it but it is the way it is.

<snip>
If you are truly a follower of JHS girl's basketball then you know that coach Gilbert coached them a few years ago and coached them for several years. Did anybody ever watch him in a huddle of a highly contested game? I watched him coach a regional game at Bedford against Columbus East. During one time out late in the game when his team was struggling he spent the first 30 seconds of a full time out completely 'undressing' his players by calling them 'fu**ing pu***ies', told them that they were 'fu**ing chocking' while making a choking gesture at his throat. Folks this happened during a regional game.
<snip>

Well... I suppose I'm just a neanderthal .. but if anyone speaks to one of my daughters in that manner, regardless of where or when, I'll promptly beat him and let the chips fall where they may after that... no excuse... ever... period...

There is some behavior I simply won't tolerate and this is it...
  • IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny, Ironhorse and 4 others like this

#25 CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

If I were the AD I wouldn't fire him but I would darned sure sit down and have a conversation with him about it. Cussing is definitely a part of sports, like it or not (I don't). But, there are certain words that are unacceptable and there is no circumstance where the F word is acceptable......period. I would tell my coach this fact and tell him if it happened again I would consider it a fireable offense. Being a coach can be a very stressful and pressure filled job but a coach must understand that winning a game is only a part of what they are supposed to do. Being a good leader and example, showing calmness and restraint under pressure, winning and losing with class are a few things that come to mind. A coach simply must know how to motivate kids without crossing the line.
  • IntegrityMatters and Donna like this

#26 JHSBaseball

JHSBaseball

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

Well... I suppose I'm just a neanderthal .. but if anyone speaks to one of my daughters in that manner, regardless of where or when, I'll promptly beat him and let the chips fall where they may after that... no excuse... ever... period...

There is some behavior I simply won't tolerate and this is it...

Ok then, neanderthal it is!!!!! Just kidding!!!!

I understand you position Quasar on coaches cussing at your daughters. I have a daughter and she is very non competitive so if i put her on a recreational team and if the coach cusses at her then i too will have a problem that i will address directly with the coach. But if i my son or daughter is playing on a team (travel) that is designed to improve their ability and prepare them for the next level (college) and i am paying money for them to be on that team and the coach cusses at him/her then i have to look at the situation a little different. It doesn't need to be an every day, every conversation situation but if the coach is trying to teach and coach, then i will be ok with it. As long as they don't make it personal and embarass him/her.

There are different approaches (Knight and Summit) to coaching. Some young coaches have a hard time learning how to communicate with players and officials but as they get older they learn and get better.

#27 JHSBaseball

JHSBaseball

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

If I were the AD I wouldn't fire him but I would darned sure sit down and have a conversation with him about it. Cussing is definitely a part of sports, like it or not (I don't). But, there are certain words that are unacceptable and there is no circumstance where the F word is acceptable......period. I would tell my coach this fact and tell him if it happened again I would consider it a fireable offense. Being a coach can be a very stressful and pressure filled job but a coach must understand that winning a game is only a part of what they are supposed to do. Being a good leader and example, showing calmness and restraint under pressure, winning and losing with class are a few things that come to mind. A coach simply must know how to motivate kids without crossing the line.

Motivating kids?!?!?!? Now THAT in itself can be another topic!

Has anybody heard the words coming out of kids mouths these days? The same kids that we are worried about being cussed at are in some cases dropping the f-bomb more than the coach that we are talking about does.

#28 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

What is frustrating is that people get on here and give their opinion about someone's coaching ablility of teaching fundamentals and the majority of the time the person that is voicing their opinion has not idea what it takes to play at a 'higher level'. I would venture to say that when you get to high school sports that it is no longer a sport that you participate in. You try out for the team because you want to be on the team and you want to become a better player. Some people have different ways to express and teach their sprots. Bob Knight and Pat Summitt are good examples. But again, you have no idea what Pat Summit said in the locker room before or after a game, UNLESS you were part of the program. Two different approaches with good results. Think Damon Bailey or any other player that played for Knight had no idea what they were getting themselves in to?

If you are truly a follower of JHS girl's basketball then you know that coach Gilbert coached them a few years ago and coached them for several years. Did anybody ever watch him in a huddle of a highly contested game? I watched him coach a regional game at Bedford against Columbus East. During one time out late in the game when his team was struggling he spent the first 30 seconds of a full time out completely 'undressing' his players by calling them 'fu**ing pu***ies', told them that they were 'fu**ing chocking' while making a choking gesture at his throat. Folks this happened during a regional game. There were a lot of people there and i was sitting about 15 rows back and i could hear him. Nothing was said then, i wonder why?????????????

A coach should not use foul language towards his players on a regular basis. But it is his job to teach his players to get better and his job depends on that happening. Unless you are at practices you have no idea what is going on. Don't know the coach but i am sure that if Matt hired him then he is knowledgable of the game. Everybody makes mistakes occasionaly but is this really a reason to start a witch hunt? Let him learn from his mistakes, just like we all do.

If everyone decided that cursing was not acceptable and demanded that the coaches not do it then this wouldn't be an issue. Maybe a group of parents have come along that says this is enough-not with my kid! If Gilbert said those things and no one reported him then shame on them! Winning or losing, it should not be acceptable. You said, " A coach should not use foul language toward his players on a regular basis". I have to ask, why should he ever use it? Why can't our coaches be held to a higher standard? There are always other options.
I also would not call this a witch hunt. If he thinks it's acceptable to speak to kids that way, then he needs deal with the fall out for doing so. What better way to learn from this mistake, then to be called out on it?
When you have seen these same girls play successfully for other coaches, it leads to the conclusion that what the new coach is doing is not working.
  • IntegrityMatters and Donna like this

#29 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Local Legend

• Administrators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

JHSBaseball, just curious, what is it the coach would be teaching your child or any child by cussing at them? Is it possible the same lesson could be taught without the cussing?
  • IntegrityMatters, Donna and Gregjam like this

#30 Gregjam

Gregjam

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

Honestly, at high school level and below there is absolutely no reason and no excuse for any coach, teacher or child to use language like that. It doesn't set a good example it isn't necessary at all. Why should kids be subjected to that when it isn't necessary, they already get enough desensitization in this world without our school representatives giving it to them as well. IMO, it should not be tolerated at all.
  • IntegrityMatters, MBHeights1, GrumpyGranny and 2 others like this

#31 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

Motivating kids?!?!?!? Now THAT in itself can be another topic!

Has anybody heard the words coming out of kids mouths these days? The same kids that we are worried about being cussed at are in some cases dropping the f-bomb more than the coach that we are talking about does.

If those kids spoke that way to an authority figure, they would promptly be told that it was unacceptable and quite likely face other repercussions. One good motivational skill might be through example.

#32 IntegrityMatters

IntegrityMatters

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

I think that playing sports at the elementary/high school level should be for fun and to build character, to build self-esteem, to learn teamwork, etc. There is absolutely no reason I would tolerate a coach who used foul language to children - none. IF they go on to play college or professional sports (which only a few of them will), then they will unfortunately hear enough of it then. I agree with the other poster -- if Mr. Gilbert talked to his girls team in that manner, he should have been severely reprimanded or fired.
Several years ago my son played basketball at River Valley. The coach (can't remember his name) thought he was Bobby Knight, Jr. -- he was constantly yelling, throwing things, etc. At one game he was especially "crazy" even though the team was ahead by over 20 points. After the game my son told me that during half time, the coach came into the locker room with a tray full of cokes (in paper cups). The kids thought they were going to get a treat because they were so far ahead. The coach started yelling and said ..."so you want want to play around, do you?"and then he threw the tray with the drinks against the locker room wall. The kids were scared to death. I was livid. I went to the principal and complained --- apparently several other parents did as well. I don't know what was said to him, but he was not the coach the next year. Kids need good role models in their life. There is no reason for adults to act like this or to curse at them -- none.
  • MBHeights1, GrumpyGranny, Avid Reader and 2 others like this

#33 JHSBaseball

JHSBaseball

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

If everyone decided that cursing was not acceptable and demanded that the coaches not do it then this wouldn't be an issue. Maybe a group of parents have come along that says this is enough-not with my kid! If Gilbert said those things and no one reported him then shame on them! Winning or losing, it should not be acceptable. You said, " A coach should not use foul language toward his players on a regular basis". I have to ask, why should he ever use it? Why can't our coaches be held to a higher standard? There are always other options.
I also would not call this a witch hunt. If he thinks it's acceptable to speak to kids that way, then he needs deal with the fall out for doing so. What better way to learn from this mistake, then to be called out on it?
When you have seen these same girls play successfully for other coaches, it leads to the conclusion that what the new coach is doing is not working.

This is not a make believe world that we live in, this is real life. I don't agree with it but in January 2013 it is more acceptable to use that kiind of language. That DOES NOT mean that i think it is ok to do so. But how about if we teach our kids to toughen up a little and have some 'thick skin'. When they encounter someone that is treating them like that in sports or real life to deal with it in the correct way. Sometimes dealing with it means dealing with it head on. If the coach is yelling at you and cussing, look him in the eye and yes sir him to death. The coach (most coaches) just want their players to get better at what they are doing and sometimes they cuss to make a point. That happens every day at every school and if you don't think it does then you are blind to issue.

And its not "IF" Gilbert did and said those things. I saw him and heard him do it. I have a very good friend who's daughter played on the state championship team that has told me directly what his daughter heard and was told in the locker room. It's FACT that he did it. That presents the next problem. Who wants to be THAT parent? If you do that you risk getting your son/daughter 'black balled' for the rest of that season or maybe their career. It's not worth it because it's not as easy as going to a different school.

I didn't call it a witch hunt, i said that it is no reason to START a witch hunt. (TuListo i feel your pain).

A coach should not cuss at a kid to embarass him/her. If a coach says that you are a "fu$%ing loser", no NOT acceptable. If a coach tells his linebacker that is playing a little scared to "go knock the fu$%king snot" out of the opposing running back it's a little different. Shouldn't cuss, but it happens.

If you played sports at a higher level (very competitive high school team or college) you have more than likely experienced being cussed at. Its part of it.

#34 CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

I'll agree with that in a lot of cases, but that still doesn't make it right. We still must set the example. That's the main reason this world is in the shape it's in; we just keep floating along without holding anyone to basic standards of decency. I also agree there is a big difference between high school and college. While I still don't agree with it in college at least it's an older crowd and quite frankly it's a different mindset. College athletics is a multi-million dollar business. From high school down I still maintain there is no excuse for it. Absolutely none. And for the record I've got over 35 years of coaching experience.
  • IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny, karen and 1 other like this

#35 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

This is not a make believe world that we live in, this is real life. I don't agree with it but in January 2013 it is more acceptable to use that kiind of language. That DOES NOT mean that i think it is ok to do so. But how about if we teach our kids to toughen up a little and have some 'thick skin'. When they encounter someone that is treating them like that in sports or real life to deal with it in the correct way. Sometimes dealing with it means dealing with it head on. If the coach is yelling at you and cussing, look him in the eye and yes sir him to death. The coach (most coaches) just want their players to get better at what they are doing and sometimes they cuss to make a point. That happens every day at every school and if you don't think it does then you are blind to issue.

And its not "IF" Gilbert did and said those things. I saw him and heard him do it. I have a very good friend who's daughter played on the state championship team that has told me directly what his daughter heard and was told in the locker room. It's FACT that he did it. That presents the next problem. Who wants to be THAT parent? If you do that you risk getting your son/daughter 'black balled' for the rest of that season or maybe their career. It's not worth it because it's not as easy as going to a different school.

I didn't call it a witch hunt, i said that it is no reason to START a witch hunt. (TuListo i feel your pain).

A coach should not cuss at a kid to embarass him/her. If a coach says that you are a "fu$%ing loser", no NOT acceptable. If a coach tells his linebacker that is playing a little scared to "go knock the fu$%king snot" out of the opposing running back it's a little different. Shouldn't cuss, but it happens.

If you played sports at a higher level (very competitive high school team or college) you have more than likely experienced being cussed at. Its part of it.

15 year old girls should not have to "toughen up" and listen to a grown man tell them they are a f'n embarrassment, This was wrong. It is wrong to ever use that kind of language towards a high school student. And if we as parents and fans step up and say enough is enough it will stop. I don't understand how a grown man could sleep at night after speaking to young girls that way. And I didn't mean to question whether Gilbert said those things, I just worded it wrong.
  • IntegrityMatters, GrumpyGranny, Avid Reader and 1 other like this

#36 Ironhorse

Ironhorse

Vespa Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

You know Kids now a days are dropping the F-bomb all the time. I hear it at the malls, ball games, just about every where I go. Most of these kids didn't talk that way at home and in the family way, the F-bomb was never dropped. Most of these kids don't pick up this kind of language at home. It's bad enough to pick it up in the streets, I don't think it's right to pick it up in schools. As some one said about living under a rock, I have one question for you. Did you drop the F-bomb in front of your mother, father, at dinner at home? I'm betting No. So why is it the in thing to do now. Sports has nothing to do with language like that. If someone was to drop the F-bomb towards my daughter or wife, well shame on'em cause daddy takes care of his own.

Well it's time for me to crawl back under the rock where I came from where my mom and dad taught morals.
  • GrumpyGranny likes this

#37 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

EVERYBODY NOWADAYS IS DROPPING THE F-BOMB!!! Frankly, I'm peeved that a perfectly great curse word has been so over-used that it draws little if any attention. IT USED TO MEAN SOMETHING!
  • karen likes this

#38 JHSBaseball

JHSBaseball

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

You know Kids now a days are dropping the F-bomb all the time. I hear it at the malls, ball games, just about every where I go. Most of these kids didn't talk that way at home and in the family way, the F-bomb was never dropped. Most of these kids don't pick up this kind of language at home. It's bad enough to pick it up in the streets, I don't think it's right to pick it up in schools. As some one said about living under a rock, I have one question for you. Did you drop the F-bomb in front of your mother, father, at dinner at home? I'm betting No. So why is it the in thing to do now. Sports has nothing to do with language like that. If someone was to drop the F-bomb towards my daughter or wife, well shame on'em cause daddy takes care of his own.
Y
Well it's time for me to crawl back under the rock where I came from where my mom and dad taught morals.

No iron, I did not drop the f-bomb in front of my mom. My parents only cussed in front of me when they were really mad at me and were trying to le me know that.

I do not find it acceptable for the f word to be used. I cyberstalk my children's facebook and twitter and if they have friends that use it on a regular basis I defriend or I unfollow them.

I agree with u, if someone fbombs my family we are going to have a problem.

Edited by JHSBaseball, 26 January 2013 - 02:20 AM.

#39 wonder1

wonder1

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

To me the freshman coach does not seem he has ever coached girls before. He does not now how to motivate them. Coaching girls is different than coaching boys. Dropping the f bomb toward the girls is not a way to motivate girls or boys. There is some talented freshman girls this year and I know that they enjoy playing ball (win or lose) but this year has been a joke. You hardly ever seen any of them smiling. The fun was taken out this year due to the coaching and the drama with the whole program,

There is a good article in the evening news web site: local sport / more local sports headlines HUNTER guide to a winning hoop program. 11 tips for coaches to be successful.
I think all the JHS coaches need to read it.

#40 TuListo

TuListo

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Potentially entertaining to some. Nothing really to do with the topic other than the cursing component.

Be entertained or be offended, take your pick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users