87 replies to this topic

#1 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

After a loss to Madison Tuesday night, the Jeff freshman girls coach decided to tell the team they were a f-ing embarrassment. That they will never wear a Jeff jersey again. The "F" word was thrown in a couple more times for good measure. It is NEVER acceptable for a man of authority to speak to a young girl this way.

This Coach is the embarrassment. The way this team has been treated from the beginning is an embarrassment. This whole program is an embarrassment. This coach does not even coach the basics of basketball. These girls have lost skills and self confidence under this coach. The parents have had to fight for everything from the beginning of the season. They had to come up with the same amount of money as the JV and Varsity girls but had to complain to get their equipment. Some of the parents raised extra money and never got the extra equipment promised. Financial statements have never been given from the booster club. The freshman have been excluded from team get togethers. Heck, Coach Pait won't even speak to them. At the mandatory parent meeting the parents were told that their daughters would be punished if the parents did not donate the required time. I understand the need for volunteers but the use of the word "punish" tells a little about the attitude of Pait.

These are Parkview and River Valley players that were some of the best in the area last year. These are girls that Gilbert took the time to get to know and to follow. These girls and their parents bought into the Jeff Basketball program all these years to be let down by another bad hire within the program.

One parents advice to incoming freshman was to transfer to another school or to sit out freshman year and play AAU to avoid this train wreck of Jeff High Athletics.
  • Donna likes this

#2 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

Just what incoming high schoolers need, disrespect and disdain. And we wonder why teens have so little respect for their elders. Way to build up morale!
  • karen likes this

#3 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

No child either girl or boy should be subject to language and treatment like that from someone in a leadership role. I hope this coach is shown the door quick for the sake of the kids!

#4 letmebeme

letmebeme

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

The obvious question is.... Did the coach say this in front of you or is this another "I have been told" things? I will agree that no student should be talked to in this manner.... I just feel like making a statement publicly like this, there should be a source that goes with it.......

#5 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

It was said to the whole team in the locker room after the game. This was told to
me by several different players.
"I have been told" that he aplogized for for how he said it, but not what he said. I take
this to mean that he apologizes for using the f-word but not for calling them embarrassments and
threatening with never playing again. I guess he thinks it's ok to demean and threaten as long
as cursing is not involved.
You obviously have a problem with me being told things but it should be obvious that I cannot use the
name of players that I am acquainted with for fear of them being retaliated against.

#6 letmebeme

letmebeme

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

I have no problem with what you say as long as its factual.... There have been some on here, a certain pot smoker comes to mind, that have made statements about JHS and its staff that WERE NOT TRUE.... I take pride in my school and if people are going to spew negative things about it.... I'm going to question it.... thats all :-)

#7 Ironhorse

Ironhorse

Vespa Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

He says......She says, Kids say the darnest things.
  • Quasar likes this

#8 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 6,636 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

It was said to the whole team in the locker room after the game. This was told to
me by several different players.
"I have been told" that he aplogized for for how he said it, but not what he said. I take
this to mean that he apologizes for using the f-word but not for calling them embarrassments and
threatening with never playing again. I guess he thinks it's ok to demean and threaten as long
as cursing is not involved.
You obviously have a problem with me being told things but it should be obvious that I cannot use the
name of players that I am acquainted with for fear of them being retaliated against.

IF this is true... someone should tape record it and get it out there.

#9 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

This happened right after they walked off the floor-in the team room. Their phones were in their lockers in the locker room. I do not think this coach is a bad person. I think he is inexperienced and in over his head. I also do not think he should remain on staff, but that is for the players parents to try to accomplish.
I know players/parents on Varsity, JV and the Freshman"C" team. After hearing everything they have said this season, this is my OPINION...I think that Coach Pait has the basketball skills needed to be a successful coach in a few years. I do not think he has the personality to build the trust that is needed from the players and parents to build the program as a whole. I think he needs to surround himself with better people. People that will tell him when he is doing something wrong. The JV team is having a good season. The reason behind that, in my OPINION is that the JV coaches are better at dealing with the players. I have seen the JV coaches correct their players and smile and pat them on the back. I have not seen this from the Varsity coaches. I have seen Sr. Coach Pait yell at a player with such an angry look on his face that it would intimidate an adult.
These girls do not need a different coach next year but they need Coach Pait to be different. I'm familiar with some of the local
8th graders as well and I think that in 2015/2016 this could be an unstoppable team.

Edited by karen, 24 January 2013 - 05:16 PM.

#10 smellslike

smellslike

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

The name Pait keeps getting mentioned but he is not the Freshman coach? Is he? I am not defending him but think we should differentiate between the two. I do not know who the freshman coach is but if he said anything close to what Karen says, he should be fired now...Maybe Pait had nothing to do with his hiring? I don't know the details but do understand there are those who feel he needs to change his ways or go.

I asked before what the job of the coach is and still do not know. But this type of behavior has not place is high school sports. It barely has a place in college sports. I just can't imagine Pat Summit talking this way on her worse day, and look at her track record. Bobby Knight is a different story and look where it got him.

#11 TuListo

TuListo

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

After a loss to Madison Tuesday night, the Jeff freshman girls coach decided to tell the team they were a f-ing embarrassment. That they will never wear a Jeff jersey again. The "F" word was thrown in a couple more times for good measure. It is NEVER acceptable for a man of authority to speak to a young girl this way.

This Coach is the embarrassment. The way this team has been treated from the beginning is an embarrassment. This whole program is an embarrassment. This coach does not even coach the basics of basketball. These girls have lost skills and self confidence under this coach. The parents have had to fight for everything from the beginning of the season. They had to come up with the same amount of money as the JV and Varsity girls but had to complain to get their equipment. Some of the parents raised extra money and never got the extra equipment promised. Financial statements have never been given from the booster club. The freshman have been excluded from team get togethers. Heck, Coach Pait won't even speak to them. At the mandatory parent meeting the parents were told that their daughters would be punished if the parents did not donate the required time. I understand the need for volunteers but the use of the word "punish" tells a little about the attitude of Pait.

These are Parkview and River Valley players that were some of the best in the area last year. These are girls that Gilbert took the time to get to know and to follow. These girls and their parents bought into the Jeff Basketball program all these years to be let down by another bad hire within the program.

One parents advice to incoming freshman was to transfer to another school or to sit out freshman year and play AAU to avoid this train wreck of Jeff High Athletics.

I have a question or two.
But first under no circumstances should a player be talked to in this way. A good communicator can find other ways to get the point across without threats and what some would consider offensive language.

My question would be what qualifies you to determine that the coach does not coach the "basics" of basketball? I feel that in order to come to that conclusion:
1. You yourself must be qualified to teach the "basics" of basketball (Having coached the game or played it beyond HS)
2. You must not rely on hearing this summation from players. There is no way they are qualified to make such a statement nor does a HS player know enough about the game they play as they are not experienced enough at this point in their athletic careers.
3. You must attend a great majority of practices and sit in on coaches meetings about what is expected to be accomplished when teaching the game from day to day.

Now don't get me wrong, there are plenty of bad HS coaches out there in every sport. It just bothers me that every swinging Richard is an authority on something they know nothing of in most cases.

You may very well be more than qualified to come to the conclusion that you have but I would just be curious to know how qualified you are to make that comment.

JMO

edit for typo

Edited by TuListo, 24 January 2013 - 08:37 PM.

• letmebeme and JHSBaseball like this

#12 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

I, for one, will rely on first-hand complaints regarding disrespectful interactions from a number of players, (I'm pretty sure we all know the F-bomb is not conducive to instilling greater respect for the sport or the coach!) I also believe that demeaning her opinion with "every swinging Richard is an authority on something they know nothing of in most cases" is a bit beyond the pale. I, also, believe she's as qualified to express her opinion as the rest of us!
  • karen likes this

#13 TuListo

TuListo

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

I, for one, will rely on first-hand complaints regarding disrespectful interactions from a number of players, (I'm pretty sure we all know the F-bomb is not conducive to instilling greater respect for the sport or the coach!) I also believe that demeaning her opinion with "every swinging Richard is an authority on something they know nothing of in most cases" is a bit beyond the pale. I, also, believe she's as qualified to express her opinion as the rest of us!

What you rely on is moot.

I agreed that speaking to anyone in that way is not the right thing to do. My question had absolutely nothing to with relying on players giving their recollection of what was said in a team meeting.

I just wanted to know what qualified her to comment on ones ability to teach the "basics" of Basketball in this case. Does she attend practices? Is she involved in the day to day operations of the basketball program as far as staff is concerned? What is her Basketball background?

Maybe she could give us some examples of what is not being taught and perhaps what should be taught specifically. She was pretty detailed in what words were used in the team meeting. Can she be as detailed about what is not being taught and what should be taught as it pertains to the game of basketball?

Edited by TuListo, 24 January 2013 - 08:58 PM.

• backinthegame likes this

#14 backinthegame

backinthegame

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

I also believe you can get your point across with out using offensive language . I also have been around sports and coaches for a number of years . I feel now this is just MY opinion . When players are getting playing time they wont say a word about how bad the coach is . Now someone who may not get playing time may have issues .
  • karen likes this

#15 Donna

Donna

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

Well, I love a moot reply! Your question (#2) "You must not rely on hearing this summation from players. There is no way they are qualified to make such a statement . . . " Well, yes, kids know the disrespect of the F-bomb. I know it, and don't appreciate it. For a coach to engage in such language to young ladies is abusive. That these young ladies are new to the high school experience, it can be a quelling moment. Had a figure of authority used such abusive language to my young lady, I'd whip out my own sailor speak and it's blue!!!

#16 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

The name Pait keeps getting mentioned but he is not the Freshman coach? Is he? I am not defending him but think we should differentiate between the two. I do not know who the freshman coach is but if he said anything close to what Karen says, he should be fired now...Maybe Pait had nothing to do with his hiring? I don't know the details but do understand there are those who feel he needs to change his ways or go.

I asked before what the job of the coach is and still do not know. But this type of behavior has not place is high school sports. It barely has a place in college sports. I just can't imagine Pat Summit talking this way on her worse day, and look at her track record. Bobby Knight is a different story and look where it got him.

I can see where this is confusing. The freshman coach is the coach who used profanity at the girls. Pait is the varsity coach. I think that Pait is responsible for the hiring of the JV and freshman coaches but I am not certain of this. I'm not sure what the varsity coach's job description entails but I know that Gilbert was involved to a certain degree with the girls in elementary school.

#17 backinthegame

backinthegame

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

Who is the Freshman coach ? Is he a teacher or outside of the school ?

#18 TuListo

TuListo

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

From Donna post #15-
Your question (#2) "You must not rely on hearing this summation from players. There is no way they are qualified to make such a statement

That was clearly not a question. I felt it was very clear that #2 was referring to the players not having enough knowledge of the game nor the experience to comment on their coach's ability to teach the "basics".

You are having a tough time understanding this aren't you?

#19 TuListo

TuListo

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

Well, I love a moot reply! Your question (#2) "You must not rely on hearing this summation from players. There is no way they are qualified to make such a statement . . . " Well, yes, kids know the disrespect of the F-bomb. I know it, and don't appreciate it. For a coach to engage in such language to young ladies is abusive. That these young ladies are new to the high school experience, it can be a quelling moment. Had a figure of authority used such abusive language to my young lady, I'd whip out my own sailor speak and it's blue!!!

And once again I will say that I don't agree with how the girls were spoke to either. Did you not see that the other two times I said it?

#20 karen

karen

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

The freshman coach is not a teacher. I have not given his name intentionally.
I had a nice lengthy post written and lost it. That's ok though, because my
ability to determine the basics of basketball is really off topic. The reason
I started this topic is that the freshman coach used inappropriate language directed
at the players and this is unacceptable. Everything else is opinions and can be
disputed by someone. The freshman girls season is now over so let's see what
happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users