155 replies to this topic

#141 TLIES

TLIES

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:55 AM

I had shopped in the thrift store a couple of times, always felt uneasy. Once I found out some of the background of "Jacobs well ". I stopped, I will not support them
I noticed the other day they changed the name of the thrift store.

#142 deerhunter

deerhunter

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

I had shopped in the thrift store a couple of times, always felt uneasy. Once I found out some of the background of "Jacobs well ". I stopped, I will not support them
I noticed the other day they changed the name of the thrift store.

The director of Jacobs Well were seen taking some furniture out of the Utica School (their 5000 sq ft apartment)down there a couple of days ago. I would bet they are still involved in the operation of the Thrift Store so don't be deceived by their actions.

#143 Donna

Donna

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

The director of Jacobs Well has been reaching out to area churches asking for their financial support with their "mission" citing the women and children clients they serve. Would love to ask how many clients they are currently serving!

#144 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,270 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

Someone should!

#145 oldmanriver

oldmanriver

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:54 AM

It has been 3 years now and they still have only the couple living in the old school building. Now they have raised several hundred thousand dollars over the past 3 years and only helped the couple living in the old school rent and utility free. The questions asked never get answered. Did you all know that the property has been surveyed by Mr. Evanczyk the other day and when he talks he tells people that it is his property. The Question is did the Utica Township Trustee give this asset to the township to Mr. Evanczyk? Yes any property that sits on the same road that the new East end bridge is on is an asset to hold on to but the Utica Trustee just keeps trying to give it away to this man. Did the Utica Trustee offer it to anyone else if he felt it was a cost to the township to keep it? NO. Did The Utica Trustee get it appraised before he tried to give it away? NO. Sounds like the Utica Trustee has something to gain from this deal. If the Utica Trustee was really looking out for his township he would have had it appraised and took out and article in the local paper to get the best offer for the township but this never happen and WHY? Because the deal was made before anyone knew about it under the table so to say. Again why would you give away an asset to the township that once the bridge is finished would bring the township so much money? Under the table deals at their best is why.

Edited by oldmanriver, 30 July 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#146 oldmanriver

oldmanriver

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

The director of Jacobs Well were seen taking some furniture out of the Utica School (their 5000 sq ft apartment)down there a couple of days ago. I would bet they are still involved in the operation of the Thrift Store so don't be deceived by their actions.

Yes the items did come from the old school. They are still supporting Jacobs Wells and I would say the items were most likely items donated to help the poor women that they have never helped yet after 3 years. What a joke and I hope after 3 years people are really seeing this for what it really is just another way to take advantage of people good nature to help people in need. I'm sure the couple has enjoyed living for FREE the past 3 years while everyone else pays for it.

#147 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,270 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:08 AM

Just read on Facebook that Jacob's Well passed some inspection and the first mother and child will move in this weekend.

#148 oldmanriver

oldmanriver

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:00 PM

Just read on Facebook that Jacob's Well passed some inspection and the first mother and child will move in this weekend.

It is still tied up in court but this does not mean anything to them. Their disregards for the law is just unbelievable.
It has been 4 years and they still keep missing leading the people. Last summer they stated in a public town meeting that they
were ready to open up classes for the women. Another misleading statement by them. This also didn't happen. I hear the appeal
will be setting a date real soon and based on the law that is still practiced in Clark County the adjoining property has the rights to
enforce any and all deed restrictions. Look for more news coming in a few weeks on more legal issues facing them as well as the town.

#149 cyrusthegreat

cyrusthegreat

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:19 PM

Residents win!  From Ct of Appeals today:

"“(W)e conclude that the Citizens, and others residents of the township, have an interest in the proper administration of the School for park and recreation purposes. It is apparent that a public right, the enjoyment of the School for park and recreation purposes, is at issue because the statutory language in Indiana Code section 20-23-6-9(d) states that the school property is to be offered to the township as a gift for park and recreation purposes and that the deed shall state that the township is required to use the property for park and recreation purposes,” Judge James Kirsch wrote for the panel.

See Old Utica School Preservation, Inc., Kenneth Morrison, Scott Sandefur, and Pamela Sandefur v. Utica Township, John Durbin, Utica Township Trustee, Jacobs Well, Inc., Kevin Williar, John Posey, et al., 10A05-1308-PL-388.

• IntegrityMatters, Quasar and Donna like this

#150 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,270 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

Congratulations!
  • IntegrityMatters, Quasar and Donna like this

#151 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

It's good to see so many trying to reclaim the school.  It would be even better if they had fought to take care of it when they had the opportunity.

Beautiful old building that was almost lost due to neglect.

#152 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:59 PM

It's good to see so many trying to reclaim the school.  It would be even better if they had fought to take care of it when they had the opportunity.

:thumbsup:

A charter school would have incentive to maintain it. 

• Donna likes this

#153 oldmanriver

oldmanriver

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:47 PM

Oh so you were there to know what you stated is a TRUE FACT??? This is a building built better then most building's in Clark County. Yes it need repairs and the group had made several repairs to it and was waiting to get back into the building after the classes got setup to finish what they were doing. New Trustee and JW change the agreement that was with the old Trustee and the group. So before you make judgements know your facts first hand and no hear say.  Was it going to fall down? Maybe in another 100 years or so. OH and that roof that needed replaced according to JW and the Trustee four years ago is still the same roof today. So who is making FALSE statements about the building?????

#154 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:52 AM

I have been around for a little over 70 years.  I personally saw the condition that the building was in.  I do know what I am talking about. 

Yes the building is very well constructed.  It used to be beautiful.  It could have been something in a Norman Rockwell painting. That was when a gentleman,

Mr. Morrison, took excellent care of it.  I can remember playing Jr High basketball there. Even the best only last so long without repair.

It sounds to me like your beef should be with the court system and the Judge that ruled against you.

#155 oldmanriver

oldmanriver

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:42 AM

I have been around for a little over 70 years.  I personally saw the condition that the building was in.  I do know what I am talking about. 

Yes the building is very well constructed.  It used to be beautiful.  It could have been something in a Norman Rockwell painting. That was when a gentleman,

Mr. Morrison, took excellent care of it.  I can remember playing Jr High basketball there. Even the best only last so long without repair.

It sounds to me like your beef should be with the court system and the Judge that ruled against you.

Oh the Court of Appeals over turned that decision by the Judge and from what I read from that appeal it seems the court system will work out in the end. I have no beef unless the system does not allow the group their day in court. then every person should have a beef with a system that denies any person the right to be heard. How it rules should be based on all facts being presented and when this is done, then what ever the jury decides is law right or wrong, that's how the system is suppose to work. So you are over 70 and played Jr High Ball there correct? How many times have you been in that building since you played Jr High Ball? Were you there during the years of 2003-2010 when the group were doing repairs and had the build checked by professional to see how sound it was and what all needed to be repaired? So in less then 6 months in 2011 when the new Trustee took office it was decided it was falling down but yet so group (JW) wants it for free and puts hard earn money donated by good people? I live in the real world and I know when I have first hand seen something and know its value I don't give it away and claim it was worthless.You state you personally saw the condition the building was in correct? So you spent several weeks evaluating the building? So you have professional  experience in property evaluation and condition of buildings?  I hope they (Old Utica School Preservation) win their case in court and I believe when they finial get to court and can show all their documents where they had the building inspected by professional company's the facts will stand for what is legally right. I'm not part of the case yet but if it makes it to the jury trial I will be as one of the professional company's. Do I have any experience in what I state here? Yes I am one of the professional that inspected the building for the original group in 2004,and again in 2006 after some repairs, then in 2008 and in 2009 and again after repairs were made in 2010. Were you? If so we have a different of professional opinion, if not then a stroll through a building without professional knowledge and qualification is only an opinion. If you do have the background in a professional field then you could bring your opinion and documents to court for JW when it gets to that point since you personally saw it first hand.

#156 Big Bopper

Big Bopper

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:47 PM

Proof read and stay calm.  This is merely a discussion.  Yes the courts will decide, again.

Wait on the decision.  Maybe the outcome will be different.  If they win you can donate your time , expertise, and energy into restoring it. 

Hopefully the building will be there for many more years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users