52 replies to this topic

#41 Donna

Donna

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

I remember the Walgreens in Green Tree Mall and the big concrete turtles. No way would those withstand our litigious society today!

The Walgreens had a turnstile gate to go out into the mall I think.

I also remember there was a store named Sycamore? or something like that. All white, I think?

Yes, they did have a turnstile AND a restaurant! JC Penney had a lunch counter tucked in the corner and Danner's 5 & 10 was always a fun spot to shop for kids. That's where my siblings and I shopped for Christmas gifts to exchange. I believe Danner's had a grill (I think it was called "Trolley") just outside the store and the burgers were good!

#42 Paul Fetter

Paul Fetter

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

Do you remember Moss, who lived in the white house next to the school? He was the Custodial Engineer for McCulloch?

Pete Twyman, I think, they called him Pete Moss

#43 Ironhorse

Ironhorse

Vespa Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

Pete Twyman, I think, they called him Pete Moss

Pete also had a brother Mark and two sisters, Tyree and Tina.
Twyman was Mr. Moss.

Edited by Ironhorse, 18 January 2013 - 06:03 PM.

#44 Ironhorse

Ironhorse

Vespa Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

Not offhand. I do remember the Fourth Dam Tavern.

Hard to say. Postcards back then were taken in black and white.
The color was added in the printing process.

In the mid 60s, the bridge was being rebuilt and a concrete truck went thru the bridge and ended up in the creek.

#45 Ironhorse

Ironhorse

Vespa Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

I remember the 4th diddly-dang, you had to watch out for cars after opening the side door. The door was only 2 feet from the road.

#46 Donna

Donna

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

Am I mistaken, (faulty memory from old age!) but didn't JC Penney's and Sears and Roebucks (when did they drop the "and Roebucks?") start out as stand alone retailers. THEN they built a mall to connect the two retailers?

I DO remember the fireworks set off from the back lot over a field.

#47 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Semi-Retired

• Administrators
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

VietnamVet 68/69 says does anyone remember Bud Slaugater's gas station or Freddie McIntosh's station? They used to make candy apples where the restaurant supply place is on South Clark Blvd. Kratz's sporting goods store was a grocery run by Eddie Kratz. And who could forget Colgate grade school.

The police station was on the corner of Stansifer and South Clark; then moved over to Harrison and Randolph. He remember's the Hot Dog Barn, Ranch House and A&W. He remembers cruising...

#48 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

Plummer was a big man, he was the guard/people greeter at K mart. He was big into Civil Defence in Jeff and Clarksville.

Harold Plummer used to stop in the police car and talk to my future wife and me when we were watching the submarine races down by the Falls. He was a good cop. In later years he was Emergency Management Director for Clark County

#49 Donna

Donna

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

Oh Yeah! Those submarine races were something else! No REALLY! They were something else!

#50 Ironhorse

Ironhorse

Vespa Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

Oh Yeah! Those submarine races were something else! No REALLY! They were something else!

Yes they were something else. I remember they had to have parascopes up to see who won the race as they crossed under the 2nd St. bridge. When they changed the course from six mile island to twelve mile island the submarines would run out of NUKE power and couldn't finish the race. That's the reason the races stopped. If I remember right, that's the reason Marble Hill was started. I guess that's the reason it never finished. No more Sub races.

#51 Donna

Donna

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

Yeah! Parascopes! Sorry, having a fit of the giggles! They didn't finish Marble Hill because of ED! LOL!!!

#52 Ironhorse

Ironhorse

Vespa Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

Yeah! Parascopes! Sorry, having a fit of the giggles! They didn't finish Marble Hill because of ED! LOL!!!

They make pills for that now. Some require two bath tubs to work, and some require having two horses to pull a Dodge pickup out of a mud hole.
  • TLIES likes this

#53 Chico

Chico

BANNED TROLL

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

My wife and I used to bowl pretty often at Eastern. That was back in the late 80's - early 90's. We had a blast. I'm not sure why we stopped. Anyway, back then, the place seemed packed every night of the week.
I think I recall a store named Sycamore too, Tina. I don't remember where it was, I just remember that name.
We lived behind the mall for a little bit in an apartment in the early 90's. All that was back there was the Dairy Mart at Byron and Greentree. It was probably named something else back then. I remember I had a KZ900LTD and I had just put a beautifull new Kerker header on it. I pulled into that DM to get gas, and misjudged the concrete poles around the pumps. It scrapped all the way down my new pipe. Win some, lose some.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Clarksville

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users