80 replies to this topic

#1 Kruger87

Kruger87

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

I just found out from my daughter that Amazon has let go over 400 people since Christmas Eve. The corporate sales are not doing as well as one thought it would. They have approached several employees who are full time tempting them with a severance package of a couple thousand dollars to "resign". Its does not take a Scientist to see why they want them to resign, this way they avoid the Unemployment claims. I hope that Amazon will notify the City and County before they try for another Tax Abatement on their property. I guess they might not need that traffic light after all.

Has anyone else heard or might have learned the same thing?

#2 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

I have no inside information on Amazon...

However traditionally ALL retail / mail order sales type of business falls off after Christmas. They ramp up in the fall and layoff at the end of the year.... could this be what is going on at Amazon now?

This is taking place at every large retailer in the area right now...

#3 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

I recall when they were hiring that they stated most of the jobs would be "seasonal" and layoffs would start right after Christmas or so. Just like at UPS they ramp up their staff by 50-100% then cut a bunch after the heavy load is over.
  • GrumpyGranny, Oldgoat and Tina like this

#4 Jen Jen

Jen Jen

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

I just found out from my daughter that Amazon has let go over 400 people since Christmas Eve. The corporate sales are not doing as well as one thought it would. They have approached several employees who are full time tempting them with a severance package of a couple thousand dollars to "resign". Its does not take a Scientist to see why they want them to resign, this way they avoid the Unemployment claims. I hope that Amazon will notify the City and County before they try for another Tax Abatement on their property. I guess they might not need that traffic light after all.

Has anyone else heard or might have learned the same thing?

I think this is a pretty disgusting thing to post when you have NO actual evidence to support it. Have you seen the sales numbers?? You should really get your facts straight before posting something like this. The "Massive" layoffs were seasonal workers...they were never full time staff. The $1000 incentives that were offered, were done a month or two ago when they first opened. They told everyone who worked a couple weeks, if Amazon wasn't for you then take the money and go.

#5 RiverFox

RiverFox

Resident Historian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

I'd never apply to a company that hires through a temp-agency.
Been there ... done that. Never do it again.

#6 CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

The "Massive" layoffs were seasonal workers...they were never full time staff. The $1000 incentives that were offered, were done a month or two ago when they first opened. They told everyone who worked a couple weeks, if Amazon wasn't for you then take the money and go.

This is 100% accurate.

#7 Chico

Chico

BANNED TROLL

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

Personally, if I were in need of a job to support my family, I'd jump at the chance to work there. They may be cutting back seasonal employees, but look at the impact the business has brought to the area. We don't have many big corporations looking to expand to our area. I'll take what we can get.
  • Oldgoat likes this

#8 Donna

Donna

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

I order enough stuff through Amazon to feel comfortable in their near future successes! Hopefully, those seasonal jobs will help people get a leg up on their household budget . . . We can't control D.C., but we CAN control community. You can keep talking "Fiscal Cliff", a term not known two years ago!, but if we practice good economics, as a community we can prevail!
  • Bigfoot likes this

#9 The Optimist

The Optimist

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

I would think most people would know getting hired at someplace like UPS, Fed Ex, Amazon or even any other retailer like Target, Macy's or Walmart... you know they're going to cut jobs. They do note the ones who worked well and produced and they are typically called back as positions open. A friend of mine did seasonal work for UPS and was let go; only to be called back for a decent position with benefits about 6 weeks later.

Stay positive. It is stressful in the mean time, though. I hope your family member gets a call for something soon.
  • Bigfoot likes this

#10 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

I help keep Amazon in business! I order something weekly if not more. I got in on a deal where I get their Prime membership split into monthly payments so its not a whole $80 out of my pocket at once and I order from them frequently for the free 2 day shipping. most times the items are here next day from either their KY facility or the one here or their other one in Indiana. Alot of the prices can't be beat even with shipping so I check Amazon before I go to the store and usually dont go to the store.

#11 Donna

Donna

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

I like the convenience of Amazon when I can't find it locally, Buu-uttt, I'd rather pay a bit extra and buy it locally.

#12 Chico

Chico

BANNED TROLL

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

I do too. Unfortunately more people like to say they'd rather buy from mom and pop than actually do. Otherwise stores like Jay C wouldn't have had to sell out to Kroger to stay in business. There's power in numbers, and no way around the buying power of the big chains.

#13 Donna

Donna

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

I don't believe in that, and I don't shop Kroger's. Sometimes "stores like Jay C" . . . "sell out" for big cash payout for no other reason than to finish their small business ownership on the plus side. It's up to each of us to determine what we will support.

#14 reisooh

reisooh

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

My main issues with Amazon, they only pay a federal income tax rate of 5.5% when they are suppose to pay 35%, migrant work camps and they don't contribute to local charities like most major companies.

#15 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

My main issues with Amazon, they only pay a federal income tax rate of 5.5% when they are suppose to pay 35%,<snip>

How is this possible? I would think the IRS would take legal action including shutting them down completely if they do not pay the taxes that they are required to pay...

#16 Dave

Dave

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

How is this possible? I would think the IRS would take legal action including shutting them down completely if they do not pay the taxes that they are required to pay...

I think there is a 29.5% gap between what they are required to pay and what kindle thinks they ought to be required to pay.

#17 reisooh

reisooh

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

I don't set the 35% tax rate, that was set by law. They exploit a loophole that gives them a tax break every time they hand out stock options to their top executives.

#18 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

I don't set the 35% tax rate, that was set by law. They exploit a loophole that gives them a tax break every time they hand out stock options to their top executives.

I don't know anything about Amazon's tax situation but suspected that they pay exactly what they are required to pay just as each of us do.

I personally take advantage of every legal deduction / credit available in both my personal and business taxes. Just like most every other taxpayer I would expect...

#19 rhouchens

rhouchens

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

I do too. Unfortunately more people like to say they'd rather buy from mom and pop than actually do. Otherwise stores like Jay C wouldn't have had to sell out to Kroger to stay in business. There's power in numbers, and no way around the buying power of the big chains.

Kroger already owns Jay C Stores.

#20 reisooh

reisooh

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

I don't know anything about Amazon's tax situation but suspected that they pay exactly what they are required to pay just as each of us do.

I personally take advantage of every legal deduction / credit available in both my personal and business taxes. Just like most every other taxpayer I would expect...

In November, the House of Commons was grilling Amazon, Google and Starbucks about how little they pay and the loopholes they use. Amazon paid no Corporate taxes in 2011 in the UK despite 3.3 billion pounds of sales. That seems fair right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users