32 replies to this topic

#21 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,973 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

Surprised at Young didn't know he had it in him.

#22 reisooh

reisooh

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

Months back the President predicted a fight would result within the Republican party after the election. This now exposed rift was orchestrated a long time ago by Jack Lew. While the President showed great skill during the entire process, make no mistake Lew was the mastermind.

Nov. 1st, 2011
Under Lew’s direction, the administration instead will reach out to the Senate and to House Democrats to try to build a consensus before dealing too much with the tea party portion of the Republican Party.

Edited by reisooh, 02 January 2013 - 09:55 AM.

#23 reisooh

reisooh

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

The state's two Republican senators, Dan Coats and the outgoing Richard Lugar, both voted in favor of the bill. So did two of the state's three Democratic House members -- Andre Carson and Joe Donnelly, who will be sworn in as Lugar's replacement in the Senate on Thursday.

The third Democratic member, Pete Visclosky, joined five Republicans in the House in voting no. Those Republicans were Larry Bucshon, Todd Young, Marlin Stutzman, Todd Rokita and Mike Pence, whose vote was likely the last he'll cast before becoming Indiana's next governor.

Retiring Republican Rep. Dan Burton did not vote.

#24 Smokey

Smokey

Councilman

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

A "NO" vote was a good thing. As Quasar said, the horrible spending needs to be addressed. Might as well do it when you have some leverage!

#25 grayarea

grayarea

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

I like the no vote...

Its time to do something about our spending problem... And we act as though it does not exist...

Quasar,

I agree something needs to be done. But, the timing is all wrong. They had over a year to fix this stuff after the so-called "Super Committee" couldn't reach compromise. But, in true Capital Hill style. Everyone sat on their hands until it got too close to rationlize through the maze before time ran out. During that year long notice of this impending problem what got done to help cure it? Nothing. Everyone pointed fingers at each other and said the "other side" was the problem.

What would be productive is to break issues down one by one and start holding up and down votes on things. That way, we know where our rerpesentatives stand. And, then each contiuency can decide whether to keep their person on not.

As for Mr. Young, I'm still waiting for him to do something with the incredible opportunity he's had. I see no new legislation from him. I do see him in about any photo op he can get here locally. Campaign wise, I don't recall anything but campaign signs in our little end of the State. In the end, his view may be right. But, it is ridiculous to continue preaching to the choir when those very people you're supposed to be representing will suffer greatly by an untimely act. Start acting now instead of waiting. And, apply that same thought to the debt ceiling, and any other issues that should wait for last second decisions.
  • Quasar and Donna like this

#26 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

The facts are still rolling out about what was actually in this legislation... once again it seems that nobody really knows.

I read one report that claimed the bill that was voted on was made available only a few minutes before the vote, which doesn't surprise me at all.

I would like to see it become federal law that all proposed legislation be posted publically at least thirty days before it can be voted on. IF someone changes it then it goes up for another thirty days... This way the people responsible for voting on this garbage would at least have a clue about what they are voting on. AND on the off chance that there is a responsible media outlet somewhere out there they might help publicize important legislation so that the people can be involved as well.

I'm ashamed of what our government has become and it's time that we make some changes...
  • Donna likes this

#27 snowman

snowman

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,265 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

The facts are still rolling out about what was actually in this legislation... once again it seems that nobody really knows.

I read one report that claimed the bill that was voted on was made available only a few minutes before the vote, which doesn't surprise me at all.

I would like to see it become federal law that all proposed legislation be posted publically at least thirty days before it can be voted on. IF someone changes it then it goes up for another thirty days... This way the people responsible for voting on this garbage would at least have a clue about what they are voting on. AND on the off chance that there is a responsible media outlet somewhere out there they might help publicize important legislation so that the people can be involved as well.

I'm ashamed of what our government has become and it's time that we make some changes...

from what i've read there are bad things in it on both sides... but then again taxes are going up on $400,000 and above, which is a good thing. those people won't miss a penny of that money.

#28 Smokey

Smokey

Councilman

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

And a lot of other people as well.

See thie article in Forbes:
In 2013, Millions Of Americans Face Obamacare Tax Hikes

#29 Smokey

Smokey

Councilman

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

Interesting (but not surprising) to find that the so-called "Fiscal Cliff" bill is loaded with pork. US News & World Report article gives all the ugly details.

#30 Smokey

Smokey

Councilman

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

It is also noted that the Hurricane Sandy relief bill has a fair amount of pork in it.

#31 Donna

Donna

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

I agree, Smokey. We need straight up & down votes on the issue at hand . . . be it the northeast dealing with Hurricane Sandy or the nation with Sandy Hooks. How great would that be that proposed legislation NEEDED 30 days exposure? Not only would our legislators know what was proposed, but THEIR constituents would KNOW! How cool would THAT be?
  • Quasar and Smokey like this

#32 Smokey

Smokey

Councilman

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

Fou nd an interresting article on how so much pork wound up in the Fiscal Cliff bill.

Tim Carney: How corporate tax credits got in the 'cliff' deal

#33 grayarea

grayarea

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Just noticed in today's News & Tribune...from the mind of Todd Young...

“It does very little to restore a degree of certainty to our economy, and the continued refusal to seriously address our largest and most unsustainable programs of government could likely result in further credit rating downgrades, interest rate increases, business failures and job losses,” Young stated in a release Wednesday.

Gee Todd, you mean like waiting until after the economy factually went over the cliff before coming together and you voting No on measures that would have brought the operation of the country to a skidding halt, sent us spiraling into a deep recession, and doing all this on the backs of the middle class?

The problem, as I see it, is supposed leaders (like our Congressman) who simply refuse any bi-partisanship consideration on any agenda whatsoever during periods of time far in advance of "deadlines" or "cliffs" and then starts harping afterwards. We should never, ever, be up against such a deadline. Period.

And as far as credit down grades go. Did you notice the stock market prior to the Senate's announcement of a deal? It was heading straight down. Not because of cuts wanted in programs. But, because a bunch of idiots wait forever to sit around a table then believe that bipartisanship is making the other side do what you want.

What really made me laugh was an article in the Courier about how Mitch McConnell and Joe Biden were the supposed heroes of this deal. Really, Mitch McConnell? The man primarily responsible for heading us down this path is now a hero?

Edited by grayarea, 03 January 2013 - 11:26 AM.

• Details Matter and Donna like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users