7 replies to this topic

#1 SilentResidentNoMore

SilentResidentNoMore

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

My brother is moving into the Charlestown Area. Since I am not from this area, I am concerned for his wellbeing since I have heard many different things about rental homes in the area. I want to make sure that I can help him find a decent, nice, safe place to live. I have followed this forum and have seen so many different controversies following Charlestown and all the political things that have happened.

My concern is the water, mayor and treasurer (I am trying to catch up on the details of all that, seems fishy with so many things but that is another topic). My brother is on disability but gets his rent paid by me. He is in poor health and needs to makes sure that his environment is safe, secure, and basically no issues as far as bad landlords.

Does anyone have any recommendations of anyone good in the area to rent from? We have gone through Helping Hands to try to find some resources as far as people they would recommend to rent from. My sister inquired about a home from a young man who said he has been a lifetime long Charlestown resident. I believe if I remember correctly his father owns an auto body shop in Charlestown if I am not mistaken. Does anyone know anything about this young man and his rentals? I believe also I heard the mayor or his wife has rentals too? Is this correct in mny understanding?

Again, I want to be sure he is in a safe area. I do know that an area she said was on a list seemed to be not safe and was in the project area. Is this not an acceptable area? I do not know much about this area again.

Thank you for your help,
Fredrick

#2 Orange Guzzi

Orange Guzzi

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

Try the Charlestown Housing Authority. I have heard many complaints over the years about bad landlords in Charlestown. Owning the coin laundry, I see many people daily that live in rental properties. I never have heard anything regarding the rental properties ran by the City. Your other concerns should not be an issue. Mostly small town politics. Water has been the best I have seen in many years. Josh Gregory, Danny's son, may be who you are looking for. The town seems safe to me.

#3 GreenShoes

GreenShoes

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

Definitely try Charlestown Housing Authority. Their aged/disabled housing complexes look pretty nice to me. I work in Social Services and have had a few clients visit Charlestown housing- I thought it looked really nice! They have the shortest waiting list of anyone around as well, so it may not take long to get him in. The area I visited was by the police department. The homes were all single-story, they were kind of like quad-plexes and they took up a few blocks. The lawns were manicured, the outside of the homes appeared in good shape, there was a laundromat for only residents to use that also had a community-type room that could be used for parties, games, get-togethers, etc. I was pleased with what I saw and would feel safe living there w/my daughter (I'm a single mom).

Good luck!

#4 Chico

Chico

BANNED TROLL

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

Charlestown township is pretty consistant. One area may be a little nicer than another. I wouldn't feel unsafe walking through the projects or any other part of town. Now, I wouldn't leave my door unlocked up there if I wasn't home, that may be too inviting for some. But as a whole, anywhere in the town proper (or the subdivision) you may find a druggie or a drunk. Though 99.9% aren't interested in doing harm to anyone but themselves.

#5 LoveLife

LoveLife

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

Rivercrossing is an assisted living facility in Charlestown. It is very nice , safe wonderful folks there. If your brother receives Medicare/Medicaid he may qualify. People whom live there are of all ages Id guess late 20s to 80's
Best of luck in your search

#6 Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

I agree with the housing authority. They maintain the properties well. I rented from someone here in Charlestown and would not wish that expericence on anyone!
  • keekee1960 likes this

#7 keekee1960

keekee1960

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

I finally moved from there. I wouldn't recommend Charlestown. Dirty water, crooked mayor! Take your pick! JMO

#8 masey

masey

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

Keekee, I am really glad that you found a place that you like living. We have lived in Charlestown for years and really like it. The water had been bad for years but is now so much better. I don't know what you are talking about concerning the mayor. There is usually always something about an administration that someone is not going to like. I'm not always happy about everything but can see where the last few mayors have really made a difference. I have lived in a lot of places when younger and found that most places are what you make of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users