12 replies to this topic

#1 41pensgal

41pensgal

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

Maybe I am wrong - but - the needed money for renovations on the Clarksville police station is for the one on Veterans Parkway? The station that is actually relatively new? AND how much money is that going to take? Checked Clarksville Chatter and no one is saying anything.......maybe I am wrong? Hopefully I am not right!

#2 The Insider

The Insider

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

No your not wrong, apparently we have a endless bank account for our police department, and what ever they need, they get.. Don't get me wrong there have been some improvements with our police since our new Chief stepped in, but I don't see the need for an all out Brigade, and all the purchases they are making! No Offense but where I am from a bigger area than this we had only 29 employees on our force, and they did just fine, but I can say this, It's a proven fact the less workers you have the more productive they are. I think all we are doing is spending more and more money, and we aren't even putting that money in the right places... Hopefully this council can get it together quick!!!

#3 Mr. Gray

Mr. Gray

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

I encourage all to stop by the town hall and ask to see the assets and expenditure reports as well as look a meeting minutes. You will see the Police Department is not the only area spending allot of money. Our current council will far exceed the spending of the old guard in quick fashion at this rate all at the expense of the taxpayers of course.

#4 Palmer

Palmer

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

The updates made to the police department are due to the growth of our department. We have
41 fulltime officers, 20 civilian employees and 24 reserve officers. Instead of trying to explain what
and why things are being done, I invite you to come to the Clarksville Police Department to see
what is being done.

As to the funds being spent on equipment, I would be happy to show you what the money has been
spent on and what it being used for in the community. For those who have attended the council
meetings, I gave the reasons the equipment was needed and how it would be used but I will answer
questions for those who did not attend.

My email is (m.palmer@clarksvillepolice.com)

When these new updates are completed then we will have a department we can grow into for years
to come. We are located at 1970 Broadway Street across the street from Target department store.

Respectfully
Mark Palmer
  • GrumpyGranny, Quasar, Clint Stinnett and 1 other like this

#5 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Semi-Retired

• Administrators
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

CPD is not the only police department around outgrowing the space given to them...Jeff is planning to build an entirely new police headquarters. Clarksville's renovations will have to cost less than an entire new building. If the size of CPD's police force wasn't growing as the town's needs grow, folks would be on here complaining about there not being enough police...

It is hard to anticipate future needs...look at our highways, our need for a new bridge, even our own homes as our families grow. How long ago was Town Hall built? The space set aside for the police department was probably more than adequate at that time, but as the town has grown, the police force has grown (and outgrown their space) by necessity.

Besides, I'd rather see my tax dollars going toward improving town services than wasteful spending (remember the purchase of the Value City property?).
  • Palmer and Clint Stinnett like this

#6 LoveLife

LoveLife

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

The purchasing of the value city property may go toward the New Tech facility. Education is the key for our future citizens. It is an opportunity for our youngsters to learn, gain knowledge and become productive persons.

#7 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Semi-Retired

• Administrators
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

Yes, LoveLife, it may, but it also may not. According to this newspaper article, http://newsandtribun...Value-City-land, it may also ultimately have other uses. A road and parking for the little league field, maybe the parks department will use the building for aerobics, classes, clubs...all at the cost of 1.5 million. And, of course, the building could just continue to sit there vacant...

I do agree that the education of our young people is of utmost importance, and would prefer to see New Tech there instead of aerobics classes.

Whatever use is finally decided on for the property will not be any more important than providing for our police department's needs however.

#8 btaull

btaull

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

While i have no problems with updating equipment buildings etc..It is very strange to see new SUVS..Dodge Chargers etc being used for around town calls..most notable is 3 vehicles at one traffic stop..how about 2 cars to check a homeless man up on veterns at I65 and dumping out his bag on the ground?? Some common sense needs to be used..Perhaps we need to reconsider the next elctions?? It seems much more is being spent now than before..

Edited by btaull, 29 December 2012 - 08:31 AM.

#9 Palmer

Palmer

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

The homeless man you are speaking of was a subject who had just stolen property from the
Walmart just down the road. The suspect had run from security and an officer on the lot. He
ran up to the Veterans/ 65 area. So yes multi units did respond to the area to close in on the suspect.

As to dumping his pockets on to the street, I am sure you saw the needles he was carrying. I
place officer safety among the top when responding to suspects with needles in there pockets.
Dumping his pockets out for viewing is for safety reasons.

As to how I know, I was there also.

M. Palmer

#10 Hoosiermata

Hoosiermata

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

The officers in our area have faced unprecedented violence in recent years. In fact, homicides against law enforcement are up exponentially in the last ten years. I wonder why two and three officers don't respond to every call. Whatever they need to do to ensure their safety, I support.

Chief Palmer, thank you for your continued support of our officers. I also appreciate your proactive stance with theater x.
  • GrumpyGranny and Oldgoat like this

#11 Mr. Gray

Mr. Gray

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

The homeless man you are speaking of was a subject who had just stolen property from the
Walmart just down the road. The suspect had run from security and an officer on the lot. He
ran up to the Veterans/ 65 area. So yes multi units did respond to the area to close in on the suspect.

As to dumping his pockets on to the street, I am sure you saw the needles he was carrying. I
place officer safety among the top when responding to suspects with needles in there pockets.
Dumping his pockets out for viewing is for safety reasons.

As to how I know, I was there also.

M. Palmer

:goodpost:

#12 Mr. Gray

Mr. Gray

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:58 AM

While i have no problems with updating equipment buildings etc..It is very strange to see new SUVS..Dodge Chargers etc being used for around town calls..most notable is 3 vehicles at one traffic stop..how about 2 cars to check a homeless man up on veterns at I65 and dumping out his bag on the ground?? Some common sense needs to be used..Perhaps we need to reconsider the next elctions?? It seems much more is being spent now than before..

I have heard that our new Chief has only one new SUV. How can you complain about that when the previous Chief had several town issued vehicles hidden all over which some family members got to drive as well.

#13 MyManMetz

MyManMetz

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

Complaining about an over abundance of police vehicles at a given incident seems

So if other officers are available to assist with a given issue, they shouldn't? The only thing I see that lacks any common sense is your logic. Having a proactive, well staffed, well trained police department is probably close to priceless especially for this towns residents.
  • GrumpyGranny and Bigfoot like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users