171 replies to this topic

#161 Donna

Donna

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:25 PM

healthyliving.msn.com had a story of a New York doctor seeing up to NINETY patients a day.  He's been convicted of TWO counts of manslaughter for overdoses that he prescribed.  Another six patients with obvious signs of addiction, were prescribed inordinate amounts of pain killers.  These white-coated charlatans must be stopped!

Edit to add:  Please go to the MSN news feed on New York Doctor convicted of Manslaughter!

Edited by Donna, 18 July 2014 - 09:28 PM.

#162 jiyabird

jiyabird

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:40 AM

healthyliving.msn.com had a story of a New York doctor seeing up to NINETY patients a day.  He's been convicted of TWO counts of manslaughter for overdoses that he prescribed.  Another six patients with obvious signs of addiction, were prescribed inordinate amounts of pain killers.  These white-coated charlatans must be stopped!

Edit to add:  Please go to the MSN news feed on New York Doctor convicted of Manslaughter!

Donna, I agree, wholeheartedly, BUT, the sad part about this is, when the government steps in and stops them, what happens to the rest of us? They make it more and more difficult to get pain relievers that honest people MUST have just to function.
The government, in EVERYTHING they get their hands on , NEVER KNOWS WHEN TO STOP, the zealots in office are so power hungry and want to make a name for themselves to feel important they just push and push and push, not thinking or caring what harm they may be doing to millions of people.
I had a friend who underwent a painful procedure yesterday in the hospital. She lives 30 miles from here. They told her it would probaby be quite uncomfortable (read painful) for the next 2 to 3 days. I asked them if they could send her home with some pain meds for 3 days...THREE DAYS! "Oh no, we can't do that! If it bothers her she should take Tylenol or Ibuprofen. If really bothering her, come back here and we will give her something." 60 mile round trip, sitting in a car...in pain. DUH!
If it had been me, they would have had to PRY me out of that bed and dragged me to the front door screaming before I would have left that place (Clark) without pain meds!
This entire thing in getting to be bull hocky.
Bet the politicians have NO problem getting pain meds in Washington once the doctors know who they are, just betcha.

#163 Donna

Donna

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:34 PM

The medical field, as well as medicines, have changed dramatically over the years.  Sorry about your friend.  Can't imagine why a hospital, knowing the recovery would be painful, did not give her the tools necessary to complete her recovery. 

However, to say that government is the problem disallows the responsibility of doctors egregiously over-prescribing powerful pain killers to those with substance abuse problems.  Had doctors adhered to their Hippocratic Oath of first "doing no harm" or the Medical Association policing their own, the government wouldn't have had to intervene. 

I know a lot of folk think that the government has no business in fettering the "free market" until it's your loved one that is knowingly harmed.  The government, for all they do wrong, should step up and make sure that individuals are not harmed by corporate profiteering.  Whether it's companies that weigh the cost of doing the right thing or analyzing the cost of correcting a mistake against the cost of potential lawsuits, or companies that bulk up baby formula, toothpaste or pet food with toxic fillers, the government SHOULD step up and protect consumers!

A lot of general practitioner's refer pain management to doctors who specialize in that field.  Pain management is available to individuals, but, now must go through doctors trained, certified and specializing in that field.

What this doctor did was criminal!

#164 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:50 PM

Only the criminals should be punished, but that isn't how regulation works. All are punished for the sins of a few.

Edited by kelley, 20 July 2014 - 12:50 PM.

• karen, Tina and JenS like this

#165 Donna

Donna

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

Unless you're a Wall Street criminal!

Not sure about the "All are punished for the sins of a few." comment.

Examples?

#166 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:45 AM

Unless you're a Wall Street criminal!

Not sure about the "All are punished for the sins of a few." comment.

Examples?

Quasar is one example. Those who have more hurdles to clear or simply can't get their pain treated are the ones punished. It's also likely costs are raised for everyone.

Edited by kelley, 21 July 2014 - 07:46 AM.

• Quasar and jiyabird like this

#167 Donna

Donna

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:33 AM

My general practice M.D. will not prescribe ANY pain medicine for ANY reason, but will refer patients to a pain management M.D.  Over the last few years I've spoken to several doctors specializing in pain management.  All of them were concerned enough with the proliferation of M.D.s over-prescribing potent pain meds to report that info to the state Medical Association.  Those doctors continued uninhibited until legislators were brought into the mess. 

I do understand the frustration of people in need of ongoing pain treatment and doctors & patients now having to jump through the hurdles because of irresponsible doctors.  I also understand the agony of families who buried a loved one because of those irresponsible doctors.

Sad situation.  :no:  No winners here.  However, I'm glad some of those irresponsible doctors are held accountable for their actions. 

I wish the AMA had sanctioned those bad actors so that the legislators did not have to intervene, because you're right, Kelley, broadly written legislation isn't the best way to address any problem. 

#168 jiyabird

jiyabird

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:58 AM

My general practice M.D. will not prescribe ANY pain medicine for ANY reason, but will refer patients to a pain management M.D.  Over the last few years I've spoken to several doctors specializing in pain management.  All of them were concerned enough with the proliferation of M.D.s over-prescribing potent pain meds to report that info to the state Medical Association.  Those doctors continued uninhibited until legislators were brought into the mess. 

I do understand the frustration of people in need of ongoing pain treatment and doctors & patients now having to jump through the hurdles because of irresponsible doctors.  I also understand the agony of families who buried a loved one because of those irresponsible doctors.

Sad situation.  :no:  No winners here.  However, I'm glad some of those irresponsible doctors are held accountable for their actions. 

I wish the AMA had sanctioned those bad actors so that the legislators did not have to intervene, because you're right, Kelley, broadly written legislation isn't the best way to address any problem.

Since I am not familiar with them could you explain to me how a 'pain management doctor' or clinic actually treats pain?
Would appreciate it.

#169 Donna

Donna

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:36 AM

Pain management doctors use a variety of treatment plans including pain medication, physical therapy, and chiropractic among other treatments.  They are certified in this special field.  They do monitor the patient's medication intake via blood tests and they also limit the amounts of prescriptions to follow the treatment plan.  Yes, I know!  another hurdle to jump, but apparently necessary to keep even legitimate patients from selling part of their meds to others.

What I would like to know is why set up governing boards (such as the AMA) if the boards do not govern!

#170 ReverendRichard

ReverendRichard

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

Some "doctors" treat pain as a profit center.
  • Donna likes this

#171 Quasar

Quasar

Dux Ducis

• Administrators
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:00 AM

Let's not forget the patients responsibility as well... this isn't only about doctors...

The patient must be an active participant in their health care, and that means fully understanding the reason for every prescription and all risks associated with the drug. 

• GrumpyGranny and Donna like this

#172 Donna

Donna

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

I agree, Q, to a point.  Some patients get led into addiction by trusting their doctor too much.  Once there, it is a hard scramble to climb out of that addiction.  Have a neighbor who severely injured his knee, requiring surgery and post-op pain meds.  His doctor kept increasing the strength of his meds and decreasing the rehab therapy.  Fortunately, his wife intervened and starting asking hard questions to the doctor.  Doc tried to guilt her into the "you don't want him in pain do you?" routine.  Long story short, they left Dr. Feelgood's care and he was weaned from the powerful pain-killers while increasing the rehab therapy.  He's fully recovered, but says he dodged a bullet only because his wife became concerned over the treatment process and intervened.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users