159 replies to this topic

#141 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

And about your xanax addiction, lol, as evidence of how things have changed: several years ago, a friend who was very, very certifiably, legitimately sick, unable to walk and in chronic pain requested something for his pain. He was denied it because he had thc in his system. He was so sick he died about a year later. Now we have in this thread three credible (i hope jules, donna and i are considered credible) examples of a very different attitude toward pain medication from the same establishment.

I had already decided not to go back for other reasons, but all new information has only made me more comfortable with that decision.

Edited by kelley, 23 June 2013 - 07:11 AM.

#142 Mary

Mary

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:33 PM

I do know that the main doctor in that practice-the "owner" I would assume was under some sort of investigation for excessive prescribing of "controlled substances" and thus had to initiate some new practices dictated by Indiana and one of the things was regular drug testing of patients who were prescribed these pain pills and other controlled substances. We ended up having to go there because our doctor joined their practice for a short period of time (thank goodness he left) because in my opinion the practice found a new means of making money-drug testing every patient who was on a narcotic, xanax, medication for ADD/ADHD, at $300 a pop! We left the practice because of that, my child was on adderall and every month he had to take a drug test and they charged our insurance $300 of a test that cost them probably $1. I don't know if they are still being watched by the medical board, but I wouldn't doubt it.

#143 Donna

Donna

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

Ah, that's the rub! MOST doctors are good people and DO want the best for their patients. They spend time talking and examining their patients, going over the patient's prescriptions, diet, exercise . . . Doctors can't do that in 3 minutes. AND, most of us believe what the doctor tells us, we TRUST our doctors. When Jules said, " When I think of "pill mills" all I can think of is sad people with sad lives that will probably have sad outcomes, and not necessarily death, because there are much worse things." It's one thing when individuals go doctor shopping, it is quite a different thing when doctors go shopping for patients. You may be a legitimate pain patient looking for legitimate care and, believing in your doctor, fall VICTIM to illegitimate care through excessive pain PILL (not management) care. Lead us Not into ADDICTION!
  • Jules likes this

#144 Donna

Donna

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:23 PM

The Indiana State Medical Licensing Board has revoked Dr. Lea Marlowe's license! Yayyy!!! Of course, at the moment she is cooling her heels in jail in Kentucky awaiting her September sentencing date for OVER PRESCRIBING pain pills, notably, oxycontin. The widespread damage this doctor wrought!

#145 18shortcreek

18shortcreek

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:40 PM

I am not against legitimate pain centers. I know there are many people who are suffering many painful ailments that require treatment. But I do think a lot of you do not realize that most of the people who went to the Maple pill mill were there to purchase pills to re-sell......not for paint relief themselves. Pill Bill and Lea did not care who they sold to as long as they had the $350 in their hands when they entered the building....literally.

From the number of cars we saw nearly every day from somewhere in Kentucky and other states other than Indiana, we know they received a LOT of money each day. Of course, I understand that Pill Bill is awaiting jail time for money laundering as well as other charges. Lea(we do not have to call her doctor any more) is also in trouble and waiting sentencing. These people were no loving devoted health givers.
  • Donna likes this

#146 Cutiedoll58

Cutiedoll58

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

Being that I have over 30 years in the healthcare profession I have to say with the observation I seen at the Physicians Primary Care I had to go there as my Dr went there from another practice. I totally observed people coming in and getting "physical therapy" but clearly was just a gym with no Physical Therapist on staff except a PTA is which is suppose to have supervision by a LPT. My opinion was they were billing Medicare and Medicaid for Physical Therapy and that is insurance fraud. I was upset not that they drug tested my husband because of his pain medication which is fine they did that but not at the tune of 300.00 billed to my insurance which I am responsible of 20% which was amounting to a lot of debt on our part. We chose to leave the practice because I didn't feel it was legit. I just hope that we as tax payers are not having to absorb these outrageous charges billed to Medicaid and Medicare cause in the end its us being left to pay the tab. Just my personal thought.

#147 HouseFullOfBoys

HouseFullOfBoys

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

A PTA rendering treatment is not fraud. PT's(Physical Therapist) direct the care via a Plan of Care that is issued at the first visit during the evaluation of the patient. Direct supervision is direct contact - this direct contact can be via phone or in person. PTA are very qualified to render the treatment plan issued by the evaluation PT, and the plan of care is certified by the referring doctor. So, while you may view this as fraud, it is not fraud at all and they are carrying out treatment in the scope of their Indiana Liscense.
(I am in no way linked to the practice in which everyone is speakng about. But I do know the laws and governments of the practice of Physical Therapy in the states of Indiana and Kentucky.)

#148 Cutiedoll58

Cutiedoll58

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:34 PM

Then I stand corrected on the PTA and PT.

#149 Zen

Zen

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:54 AM

physicians primary care in jeff is fed by personal injury attorneys, they direct many patients there.
have heard it is questionable as another pill mill....
  • Donna likes this

#150 Donna

Donna

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

physicians primary care in jeff is fed by personal injury attorneys, they direct many patients there.
have heard it is questionable as another pill mill....

Having lost my sister to "accidental overdose", who was granted a cornucopia of prescriptions (mostly oxycodone) from this office, there is NO QUESTION in my mind that wellness is NOT at the top of several doctors from this office. Please be wary of doctors bearing over-generous 'scripts or upping your dosage while you are battling legitimate pain. The management you experience may very well lead you into increasing dependence on pharmaceuticals.

#151 Zen

Zen

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

so so sorry about your sister!

#152 18shortcreek

18shortcreek

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:04 AM

In reading the above messages, I saw mention that Leah Marlowe was in jail in Kentucky awaiting trial or sentencing. Can anyone tell me what sentence she received?

#153 Donna

Donna

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

The judge finally handed out the sentence.

1. She is incarcerated for 36 months (3 years)
2. Once released, she will be on probation for another three years.
3. She is to take advantage of the mental health and educational programs offered in prison.
4. 200 hours of community service in the recovery field of addiction
5. She has to attend mental health sessions continuously
6. Her fines for court are paid immediately and she pays $100. Her attorney was able to prove financial hardship.
7. She cannot practice medicine ever again. Her license has been revoked (in Kentucky). (She has not gone to trial in Indiana yet and Pill Mill Will is awaiting sentencing on his "clinic" in Georgetown, KY.
  • kelley, Mary Moore Marconi and backinthegame like this

#154 18shortcreek

18shortcreek

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

Thanks Donna. I could have walked up to your house, I guess, to find out about her sentence. Sorry that she is not financially able to pay a more appropriate fine. You and I know how much money flowed in there during the time they were open. Does the old saying "She came out of that smelling like a rose" sound familiar?

At least they're gone. It's been a quiet summer, except for Elizabeth's dogs!!!!!

• Donna likes this

#155 Donna

Donna

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

As a cash and carry "clinic" I'm not surprised that Dr. Marlow's lawyer was able to show financial hardship. She was rude, full of attitude, but smart enough not to deposit the largesse from her amoral enterprise. Pill Mill Will was not so smart and was immediately stripped of all his assets that were found! Bless Elizabeth for her kind, caring heart regarding the pups, (and the porch she allowed us to invade as we fought the pill mill!) Against all odds, THEY ARE GONE and in record time! I like quiet!
  • Gabriella likes this

#156 Jessw26

Jessw26

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

Recent update re KY office:

http://www.kentucky....-pill-mill.html

#157 Donna

Donna

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:02 PM

Sorry, Jessw26, I couldn't get the link to work.  Will Singleton received a 20 year federal sentence for his crimes in Kentucky.  Still hope Indiana will pursue both Pill Mill Will and Pill Queen Leah on the crimes committed on this side of the Ohio.  I also hope that the DEA will shut down the 10th street Pill Mill (soon!) and give the methadone clinic a hard look. 

#158 18shortcreek

18shortcreek

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:08 PM

I've often wondered about that place on Tenth St. just this side of the turn into the subdivision (Name won't come to me right now!)where the light is. Hope you know where I mean. My short term memory is gone!
p
I've noticed loads of cars like we used to have at the pill mill. There is no name but the people coming out remind me of our situation. Does anyone know who runs it? I thought Indiana had passed some kind of legislation to prevent pill mills from operating. Is it just a matter of the police or mayor letting them continue I=operating.

I guess there is no bulldog neighborhood group to put pressure on the local law to shut them down. God bless Franklin Square Neighborhood Assn group for their successful efforts of ridding our neighborhood of the Maple St. pill mill!!!!

#159 18shortcreek

18shortcreek

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:44 PM

Donna.....I'm not Deb! I'm Elizabeth's Grandma, next door. I thought FSNAssn, had prevented the operating of pill mills, at least here in Jeff. Does this possibly mean there has been a pay-off somewhere here in Jeff? Not in Jeff!!!

I know about your sister and am so sorry about her death. I don't want others to be brought into the drug world for the sake of some guy like Will, who just wanted the money without thinking of what was happening to his "patients".

See you around the neighborhood as soon as it warms up....if ever!!!!!!!

#160 Donna

Donna

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:14 AM

Dang!  Sorry about the misidentification!  All those wonderful stories about the history of living downtown, I just assumed you were someone else! 

The members of Franklin Commons, with the help of city officials and state legislators, were able to stop new pill mill infiltrators from setting up shop in ALL neighborhoods throughout Indiana.  We were not able to close down other established pill mill.  Many thanks to you & hubs and family for keeping an eye on the goings on within our neighborhood.  A BIG "Thank you" to Elizabeth for welcoming our presence (and giving us a covered porch and a bird's-eye-view!)

I don't believe there was any pay-off involved.  I believe that an opportunity was available and that medical doctors seeking $$ over patient care led to the establishment of the 10th Street medical office as a pill mill.  This particular office offers layers of services that make it more difficult to circumvent.  However, the DEA is watching and if they ever need my testimony, I will be happy to comply.  It was unconscionable the amount of oxycontin 'scripts that were given to my sister.  (Hippocratic Oath:  "First, Do No Harm)  May that "doctor" rot in Hades!  I wish the medical community and association had held these "doctors" accountable so that folk with legitimate pain management conditions were not led into addiction or forced to jump through hoops (and at no small expense) to address legitimate treatment. 

Bring on the sun & warm weather!  We could use it! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users