171 replies to this topic

#1 Donna

Donna

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:16 AM

Thank you Matt! I've been off-site with the "pill mill" and didn't see the vanity license plate of the pill doctor. But, I have seen you standing vigilance. So, our "good" doctor had a vanity plate inscribed with the Latin, "Tilutae Regina", transcribed to "Pill Queen". Ah, the hubris . . . the arrogance. Coming soon! to a building near you, UNLESS our state legislature passes meaningful limits to where and who, with what qualifications, can operate "pain management clinics." We ARE an aging society, and most of us will need legitimate pain management as we grow (gasp!) older. But there are more options than just drugs. Drugs are easiest to prescribe (and apparently more profitable), but there is diet, exercise, yoga, massage therapy and chiropractic treatment (and other legitimate therapies). I hope our state legislature restricts WHERE a "pain management" clinic can operate, and certifies WHO (you know, someone with a background in pain management) can run such a center. Please contact Sen. Ron Grooms and Rep. Steve Stemler. Let them know our concerns, our observations, our reservations. We are NOT WRONG on this! This isn't a business module! If your a for-profit business, the state should not allow you to sell prescriptions! Find another forum. Lives are too precious to sell down the Oxy Highway!
  • DAN likes this

#2 Kruger87

Kruger87

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

Thank you Matt! I've been off-site with the "pill mill" and didn't see the vanity license plate of the pill doctor. But, I have seen you standing vigilance. So, our "good" doctor had a vanity plate inscribed with the Latin, "Tilutae Regina", transcribed to "Pill Queen". Ah, the hubris . . . the arrogance. Coming soon! to a building near you, UNLESS our state legislature passes meaningful limits to where and who, with what qualifications, can operate "pain management clinics." We ARE an aging society, and most of us will need legitimate pain management as we grow (gasp!) older. But there are more options than just drugs. Drugs are easiest to prescribe (and apparently more profitable), but there is diet, exercise, yoga, massage therapy and chiropractic treatment (and other legitimate therapies). I hope our state legislature restricts WHERE a "pain management" clinic can operate, and certifies WHO (you know, someone with a background in pain management) can run such a center. Please contact Sen. Ron Grooms and Rep. Steve Stemler. Let them know our concerns, our observations, our reservations. We are NOT WRONG on this! This isn't a business module! If your a for-profit business, the state should not allow you to sell prescriptions! Find another forum. Lives are too precious to sell down the Oxy Highway!

I can relate to you on this Donna. I am a Vet and go to the VA on Zorn ave in Louisville for treatment for Military related injuries that I suffered throughout my career. No matter what the injury was the first thing that the doctor or intern's in this matter want to do is give you some drugs to hide or mask the pain. Several years ago I was having problems with a shoulder and they wanted to do shots and prescribe a very strong pain killer for the pain. I refused to take them and told the doctor and the Administrator that I wanted them to fix the pain not hide the pain! In todays healthcare Billions and Billions of dollars are spent on the Drugs that are being pushed through these doctors offices. They make it so easy for the doctor to prescribe them or reccomend them due to the lucratives gifts they give them.
I want to stress that not all Pain Management clinics or Doctors should be classified as Pill Mill's. I went through one for six months after i broke my back. There were no prescription drugs given, it was a series of shots into the the Disc and the draining of fluid out of the spine.
This one lady I think is actually laughing at all of us because we are still watching them everyday. No matter what we can say or do, they are there. No matter how many times MM and the police and fire departments show up, they are legally within the boundry of the law. I do not like it anymore than you do.

#3 Donna

Donna

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:41 AM

Yes, that's the problem, they skirted within the boundaries of the law because our zoning director does not know the difference between a medical office and a medical clinic. Residential/Commercial ordinance allows a doctor to hang out a shingle in a neighborhood. A medical clinic with its increased traffic, has NO BUSINESS in a residential area. If this were a legitimate business, why do they STILL NOT HAVE ANY SIGNAGE? Or, for that matter, no waste disposal from this site? They pack up their own garbage and haul it away. Wonder if biohazard/medical refuse standards are being followed? Please contact Senator Ron Grooms, Representative Steve Stemler and ANYONE else you can think of (and post it on CCC!)

In the meantime, check out the thread on City Sweeps against those who truly need a respite!

#4 Donna

Donna

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

UPDATE!
Since January, Dr. Lea Marlow of the Clark County Wellness Center in Jeffersonville has prescribed more than 8,000 prescriptions for 3,489 patients – with more than 95 percent receiving Oxycodone. According to the petition for summary suspension, Marlow’s pain management practices “fall well outside the boundaries of safe and appropriate medical treatment.”

“Our office filed for an emergency suspension against Dr. Marlow’s license as we believe she poses an immediate threat to the public’s health and safety,” said Gabrielle Owens, Deputy Director of the Attorney General’s Licensing Enforcement and Homeowner Protection Unit. “Considering the evidence of her prescribing practices, it is clear the minimum standards of acceptable pain management practices have not been met. The Attorney General’s Office is committed to investigating and bringing actions against those who may prey upon addicts and add to the illegal supply of narcotics in our state.”

According to the petition, the doctor does not accept payment from private insurance companies or government entitlement programs and instead operates as a “cash-only” business. Owens said virtually all Marlow’s patients receive identical treatment in the form of Oxycodone and diazepam prescriptions.

#5 Donna

Donna

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

The board will consider the petition for summary suspension at its next meeting on Thursday, Dec. 6. Owens said if the suspension is granted, Marlow could not practice medicine for 90 days while the Attorney General’s Office drafts a formal complaint to submit to the board. In licensing cases, the board has the authority to determine what if any disciplinary action will be taken.

Since January, the Attorney General’s Office has filed numerous licensing actions against physicians for overprescribing with several cases involving deaths resulting from the over prescribing. The growing number of overprescribing incidents has resulted in the creation of the Prescription Drug Abuse Task Force recently launched by Zoeller. The group is made up of state legislators, law enforcement, health officials, pharmacists, state and local agencies and education providers. Members are focusing on education, treatment and recovery, prescription drug monitoring, prescription disposal and take-back and enforcement. The full task force will publish a report of its findings and recommendations.

Special thanks to Maira Ansari of Wave 3 for staying with this story and giving us the updates!
  • kelley, ChopperWoman and DAN like this

#6 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

WDRB just posted a story on this http://www.wdrb.com/...ency-suspension It's about time the state finally decided to do something!

#7 Hoosiermata

Hoosiermata

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

Wow! This is terrific news. Way to go neighbors!
  • kelley likes this

#8 jiyabird

jiyabird

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

I just went to my Kentucky doctor for my 3month checkup. I take a painkiller. I had to fill out pages and pages of paperwork agreeing to see a psychologist, psychiatrist, bring in my pills to be counted on demand, bloodwork, urinalysis and more frequent appointments. If I fail any of these my doctor will quit prescribing to me. Not sure how these resellers get away with what they do.

• MrsB4905 likes this

#9 Cutiedoll58

Cutiedoll58

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

There is another pain mill in Jeffersonville at a MD Practice but they go by the guidlines but you know its a pill mill they are always so darn busy mutiple cars parked and they may have 3 or 4 Md's

Edited by Cutiedoll58, 03 December 2012 - 07:01 PM.

#10 Donna

Donna

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

There is another pain mill in Jeffersonville at a MD Practice but they go by the guidlines but you know its a pill mill they are always so darn busy mutiple cars parked and they may have 3 or 4 Md's

Yes, we are aware of this office and have forwarded the info to the Attorney General office. I personally know a few patients of this office and their "good doctor" prescribes enough meds for them that allows them to sell the extra to afford their pain meds. That's why it is important for our legislature to devise laws regulating pain management clinic ownership, as well as, Certified Pain Management Doctors.

Jiya, I know what you are talking about! Legitimate doctors and patients have to go the distance, because we have predators of the addicted selling 'scripts to ANYONE who can afford the price. These wolves MUST be STOPPED! We are an aging society, and more and more of us will NEED true pain management as we grow older. But TRUE pain management is NOT achieved through prescriptions only. There are many treatments available, but we need doctors certified in pain management in offices NOT owned by Business People. The emphasis should be on Patient Treatment and NOT on FOR PROFIT!

Edited by Donna Spence, 03 December 2012 - 08:50 PM.

#11 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

When I had surgery the doctor would ask me every visit if I needed more pain killers. If I said yes, he just wrote a script for it until I told him I didn't need them any more.

Would you all have all people jumping through hoops to get pain medicine?
  • MrsB4905 likes this

#12 Donna

Donna

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

When I had surgery the doctor would ask me every visit if I needed more pain killers. If I said yes, he just wrote a script for it until I told him I didn't need them any more.

Could it be that you had an ongoing patient/doctor relationship that your doctor could refill your prescription without worrying that you were an addict? No hoops were needed to jump through before For Profit Predators found a way to make mega-bucks with little patient interactions. Times have changed, and unfortunately, we have to respond to the changes or deal with the sorrow of addiction.

#13 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

Could it be that you had an ongoing patient/doctor relationship that your doctor could refill your prescription without worrying that you were an addict? No hoops were needed to jump through before For Profit Predators found a way to make mega-bucks with little patient interactions. Times have changed, and unfortunately, we have to respond to the changes or deal with the sorrow of addiction.

No on going relationship. Was referred to him. I don't think I like the idea if having to go through all that garbage just so I don't to feel the pain of the injury & the surgery.

#14 Donna

Donna

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

No on going relationship. Was referred to him. I don't think I like the idea if having to go through all that garbage just so I don't to feel the pain of the injury & the surgery.

No one should have to go through the pain of injury or surgery recovery! That's LEGITIMATE pain management and that should NOT be onerous.

#15 jiyabird

jiyabird

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

The point I was trying to make is that as a result of these pill abusers and pill mills the laws have changed so much that just last week I had to go thru the procedure I stated just to get the prescription that I have been getting from the doctor I have been going to for years. Things have changed big time and this is the new face of things to come.. I have nothing to do "JEFF ALL MY LIFE" with anyone jumping thru hoops, I do not like it better than anyone else. My doctor knows I do not abuse what I take but this is what the FDA now demands. Everyone from now on will be jumping thru hoops and spinning those hoops on their noses to boot.
These changes have just come about during the month of November.

#16 jiyabird

jiyabird

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

No one should have to go through the pain of injury or surgery recovery! That's LEGITIMATE pain management and that should NOT be onerous.

Seriously folks, if you have not gone to your doctor to get any narcotic type drug you are used to taking, including sleeping pills, you will be amazed at the changes in procedure that have taken place in the last 2-3 weeks. You can not even get your prescriptions filled in the usual way any longer.
I am not sure how it will apply to short term like surgery or dental work but I would not be surprised if that does not become more difficult also....you know Big Brother, always looking out for our best interests! All my doctors are in Kentucky but I fill my scripts in Indiana but I would assume the same applies to doctors over here. Who knows. I am just lucky I am as healthy as I am and feel so very sorry for those who are in terrible pain and are unable to get relief if they truly need it. God Bless Them.

#17 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

The point I was trying to make is that as a result of these pill abusers and pill mills the laws have changed so much that just last week I had to go thru the procedure I stated just to get the prescription that I have been getting from the doctor I have been going to for years. Things have changed big time and this is the new face of things to come.. I have nothing to do "JEFF ALL MY LIFE" with anyone jumping thru hoops, I do not like it better than anyone else. My doctor knows I do not abuse what I take but this is what the FDA now demands. Everyone from now on will be jumping thru hoops and spinning those hoops on their noses to boot.
These changes have just come about during the month of November.

I wasn't saying that to you. I was asking the people who are hoping to have tougher laws. I don't think it's right that people who need these prescriptions have to jump through all these hoops.

#18 jiyabird

jiyabird

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

I wasn't saying that to you. I was asking the people who are hoping to have tougher laws. I don't think it's right that people who need these prescriptions have to jump through all these hoops.

Oh, sorry. I agree wholeheartedly with you. It is a shame that because of a few low life scum that cannot figure out how to make a decent living the rest of us have to pay, but that seems as if it is the way the whole world is going. I saw this one coming a long time ago when they used to give my husband a hassle because of all the pain meds he had to be on after he got hit by the train when he was on his bike. It was a constant fight, I just wonder how many of them would have wanted pain meds if they had been run over by a locomotive? (it was mainly the nurses that looked down their noses, the doctors seemed to understand) and this was in the '70's.
  • beatleschick likes this

#19 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

CJ on the topic:
http://www.courier-j...ewswell|text||p

Indiana Attorney General Greg Zoeller’s office is urging the state Medical Licensing Board to suspend a controversial Jeffersonville doctor’s license over her prescribing practices.

Dr. Lea Ann Marlow, the physician at Clark County Wellness Center in Jeffersonville, has written more than 8,000 prescriptions for 3,489 patients since January in Kentucky and Indiana.

Of the 590,499 pills Marlow prescribed this year, about 95 percent, or 477,992 were oxycodone, according to Zoeller’s petition seeking a 90-day suspension.

#20 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,993 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

Had to look up what diazepam is as the comments from the AG's office mentioned it along with the Oxycodone.

It's Valium.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users