21 replies to this topic

#1 losttime12

losttime12

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

What happened to the bread store? It's empty. Are we making room for a new pharmacy? Jeffersonville loves those pharmacies.

#2 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

No bread store? I'm usually too lazy to make the extra stop, but was always happy with the money saved when I did.

#3 dman

dman

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

was it not a hostess store? did they not close?

#4 backinthegame

backinthegame

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

Dolly Madison I believe .

#5 richardweed

richardweed

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

yes there closed,, the Ladies that worked there were members of the Teamsters Union....one in particular had about a year or 2 to go to be able to retire....

#6 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Commissioner

• Moderators
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

it was part of the Twinkiegeddon. All those brands are owned by interstate bakeries that is going belly up. There's a slim chance they may be able to come back. if not the brands and recipes will be sold off.

#7 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

OMG. I've been mostly tuning out the twinkie panic. This hits home though.

#8 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

Bet'cha Lil' Debbie's luv'na hell out'a it........hahahahahaha....... :tongue:

#9 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

So are my daughters. They've been vegetarians since they were 8 and 9 (now 17 and 18), and won't eat twinkies or other hostess products because they use animal fat.

Eighteen-year-old's response to hostess out of business? "Good."

That was the corporation though. The same kid is very community-oriented and a veteran of the projects. She won't see the 'bread store' closing the same way. A lot of people have depended on it for a long time.

#10 MBHeights1

MBHeights1

Top Retired Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

Deleted off topic comment
  • backinthegame likes this

#11 Brian Coffman

Brian Coffman

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

It was a Dollie Madison Store. Hostess bought Dollie back in about 2005. Yeah it is a victim of the Hostess demise. I hate to see that for the local jobs lost.

#12 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

So are my daughters. They've been vegetarians since they were 8 and 9 (now 17 and 18), and won't eat twinkies or other hostess products because they use animal fat.

Eighteen-year-old's response to hostess out of business? "Good."

That was the corporation though. The same kid is very community-oriented and a veteran of the projects. She won't see the 'bread store' closing the same way. A lot of people have depended on it for a long time.

:thumbsup:

Take a wild guess who else's one o' them ?......Haha........At's right.........

Mos' perfec' chic ta ever walk'a face o' the Earth ! ! ! :hyper: :sweat:

#13 GrumpyGranny

GrumpyGranny

Semi-Retired

• Administrators
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

:thumbsup:

Mos' perfec' chic ta ever walk'a face o' the Earth ! ! ! :hyper: :sweat:

'Dude, that's not a pic of me...
  • Bigfoot likes this

#14 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

While the Hostess management was being lambasted for making too much money, the union bosses were cleaning up!

http://www.unionfact...&_Grain_Millers

#15 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

'Dude, that's not a pic of me...

:laugh:

Shhheeeeeee.........(Ut........hahahaha !.....) You higher'n 'at....... :thumbsup:

:tongue:

#16 Donna

Donna

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

An excellent Op Ed in today's C&J. Hedge Fund Manager, with Twinkie smeared all over his face, points back at the union dude and says, "It's ALL his fault!"

#17 Donna

Donna

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

Union dude just wants a fair wage with decent benefits. If you're off tomorrow, you can thank a union. If you HAVE to work tomorrow and you're getting double holiday pay, you CAN THANK A UNION! If you're working at Wal-Mart, I'm sorry!
  • Jules likes this

#18 Oldgoat

Oldgoat

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

Union dude just wants a fair wage with decent benefits. If you're off tomorrow, you can thank a union. If you HAVE to work tomorrow and you're getting double holiday pay, you CAN THANK A UNION! If you're working at Wal-Mart, I'm sorry!

Unions are just another big business with fatcats making the big bucks while you bust your butt! Wasn't always that way and they made America a better place.....50-100 years ago. There are people working at numerous places within the metro area where workers are making $10-13 and hour and paying the same UAW dues as folks at Ford making 3 times that much. They are working in nasty, noisy and often unsafe conditions too. If unions were all still doing what they started out to do, they wouldn't have to buy politicians to force people to join.
  • kelley likes this

#19 Bedford

Bedford

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

I was treated better at Wal-Mart than I was at either UPS or Meijer, and both were Union.

I was wondering if that bread store was closed, but haven't had a chance to go by. There might be a similar store that is still open in Louisville, but it's on 7th Street Road.

#20 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

I was treated better at Wal-Mart than I was at either UPS or Meijer, and both were Union.

I was wondering if that bread store was closed, but haven't had a chance to go by. There might be a similar store that is still open in Louisville, but it's on 7th Street Road.

:logik:
Advice > Wear a Duster (long coat) pack a doublestack .45......short AR.....an'a......me'be.....?......a Mossy 590A1......should get'cha back home safe..... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users