137 replies to this topic

#1 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

The Director of the J B Ogle Animal Shelter has turned the shelter into a place that can make the entire county proud. Sarah Green has a long wish list for the shelter and needs the county to pay what they owe $198,000!!

The money is in the budget but Les Young, Ed Meyer and John Perkins refuse to pay.

Justice for Jeffersonville Dogs plans to rally on the court house steps on Sept 27th at 3p and also attend the Commissioners meeting at 4pm to ask them directly.

Please join us and help spread the word.

We just want them to look us in the eye and explain this article ......

July 10, 2012
Jeffersonville’s J.B. Ogle Animal Shelter payments in question

Clark County Sheriff looking to replace old police cars

By BRADEN LAMMERS
braden.lammers@newsandtribune.com

JEFFERSONVILLE — Back-and-forth on who will foot the bill for various county costs continued between the Clark County Council and the Clark County Commissioners on Monday night.

The first expense brought to the council was money owed to Jeffersonville’s J.B. Ogle Animal Shelter, which had twice been requested of the commissioners. At the commissioners meeting June 21, the county executives told Jeffersonville Mayor Mike Moore they would pay the bill if the county council would appropriate the money. They said it was cut out of their budget by the county council.

Moore attended Monday’s meeting and asked the council to make the payment that has gone unpaid for three years. The annual payment totals $66,150.

Moore had previously agreed to absolve the county of one year’s payment if the other two years were paid, but on Monday said that deal is no longer available to the county.

“The deal’s off the table,” he said. “The county sat around an blew it and the puppies need to be fed.”

He said the animal shelter is owed a total of $198,450.

However, when presented with the request, the council said they could not approve it by submitting a claim, only that they can appropriate money to a fund.

County Councilman Brian Lenfert said that money was appropriated for this year.

“I think that payment has previously been paid out of contract services,” he said. “We did not cut the commissioners’ budget in the contract services line item.”

After searching through a stack of budget documents, Lenfert said the commissioners had submitted a request of $354,000 in the contract services budget and that was the same amount that was approved. He continued that a line-item for the animal shelter had been built into that fund.

“The city of Jeff[ersonville] animal shelter is on here for $66,150,” Lenfert said. “I’m not going to tell the commissioners what claims they approve, because that’s not our responsibility. There is a line item that they submitted that includes money for the animal shelter."
  • Seasidechick likes this

#2 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

So the commissioners requested the money in their budget for the shelter. The council approved the appropriation, but the commissioners still haven't paid that money to the shelter?

Nice.

Is the money just sitting there waiting for a check to be written? Has it been spent on something else?

#3 Orange Guzzi

Orange Guzzi

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

Hate to pee in your dog bowl, but these pet projects are why the country is so far in debt. Just because you think all animals are important does not justify raising my taxes and putting our children further in debt. If you care so much, take the pets home and feed and care for them your self. It is not my responsibility to support someone elses pet project. Hey my motorcycle needs a couple of new tires, should the county tax payers pay for them? If there are excess animal, kill them or pay for their care out of your own pocket, not mine or my family.

As I have been posting lately, these hard money decisions are going to have to be made now and in the future. You should feel lucky that you are not so broke at this time that you are not trying to decide on eating Buddy or Woofy for diner tonight.

My Romney's new add showing a mother holding a baby and telling it that it is $50,000 in debt is a half truth. If only 53% of American are paying federal taxes then the baby could possibly be $100,000 in debt and growing. Since my family is part of the 53%, we owe $300,000 and we just can't afford to feed these pets.

Bad mouth me all you want for saying such things, but some of you just can't handle the truth. Just read where the Greater Clark County Schools are broke. Should we neglect our children or feed the dogs?

#4 TrishR

TrishR

Councilman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:07 AM

Animal control is safety and health issue. It is also cleaning up a mess that irresponsible people have created. I didn't create the mess but I only work to control it, I raise thousands in donations each year but it's never enough. The shelter keeps getting dumped on, boxes of puppies and kittens on a daily basis.

I know there are exceptions but usually it's the same people that have kids and can't afford them or don't want them, they have animals they don't want and can't afford.

The city takes in thousands of dogs and cats found in the county each year. Maybe they should start leaving the homeless animals on the commissioners desk to get their attention.

Edited by TrishR, 19 September 2012 - 10:28 AM.

#5 hoosiertaxpayer

hoosiertaxpayer

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

Hate to pee in your dog bowl, but these pet projects are why the country is so far in debt. Just because you think all animals are important does not justify raising my taxes and putting our children further in debt.

This is nothing about raising taxes this money has already been budgeted in. The shelter just wants the money it is rightfully owed.

The animal shelter provides a much needed service, it's pretty naive thinking to believe the national debt is fueled by animal shelters. I would say the shelter is one of the more efficient government services provided.

If you must complain try the County officials that refuse to pay their bills...

#6 Abbysnana62

Abbysnana62

Commissioner

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

Hate to pee in your dog bowl, but these pet projects are why the country is so far in debt. Just because you think all animals are important does not justify raising my taxes and putting our children further in debt. If you care so much, take the pets home and feed and care for them your self. It is not my responsibility to support someone elses pet project. Hey my motorcycle needs a couple of new tires, should the county tax payers pay for them? If there are excess animal, kill them or pay for their care out of your own pocket, not mine or my family.

As I have been posting lately, these hard money decisions are going to have to be made now and in the future. You should feel lucky that you are not so broke at this time that you are not trying to decide on eating Buddy or Woofy for diner tonight.

My Romney's new add showing a mother holding a baby and telling it that it is $50,000 in debt is a half truth. If only 53% of American are paying federal taxes then the baby could possibly be $100,000 in debt and growing. Since my family is part of the 53%, we owe $300,000 and we just can't afford to feed these pets.

Bad mouth me all you want for saying such things, but some of you just can't handle the truth. Just read where the Greater Clark County Schools are broke. Should we neglect our children or feed the dogs?

I completely understand your point. I have a Yorky that I love but if it came to feeding my yorky or my child, naturally my child would come first. It seems that this issue seems to really become important around election time, but I am sure that is just a coincindence. Was the money owed when Mike Moore was sitting in one of those Commissioner seats? :no:

#7 TLIES

TLIES

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:20 AM

Was the money owed when Mike Moore was sitting in one of those Commissioner seats?

The money was owed then, but there was none.

County Councilman Brian Lenfert said that money was appropriated for this year.

“I think that payment has previously been paid out of contract services,” he said. “We did not cut the commissioners’ budget in the contract services line item.”

After searching through a stack of budget documents, Lenfert said the commissioners had submitted a request of $354,000 in the contract services budget and that was the same amount that was approved. He continued that a line-item for the animal shelter had been built into that fund.

But it is there now.

#8 Abbysnana62

Abbysnana62

Commissioner

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

The money was owed then, but there was none.

But it is there now.

There was no money? At all? Where was it? Was there any money being spent on anything during all that time? Now you have me curious.

#9 TLIES

TLIES

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

Look it up yourself.

Thanks.

March 15, 2011
Clark County Council again makes budget cuts

Courts, clerk say they might not be able to operate later in the year

#10 Abbysnana62

Abbysnana62

Commissioner

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:44 AM

Look it up yourself.

Thanks.

March 15, 2011
Clark County Council again makes budget cuts

Courts, clerk say they might not be able to operate later in the year

That's okay, I just assumed you had the information at hand, since you seemed so definite in your answer as to the money situation at the time. Have a nice day.:flowers:

#11 Kruger87

Kruger87

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

Was the money owed when Mike Moore was sitting in one of those Commissioner seats? :no:

As for did MM know about the money being owed when he was a Commissioner MM did know about it when TG brought it up before the elections. MM did try and get money appropriated to the shelter in regards to the expired contract the county had with the city and was out voted 2-1 by guess who? You guessed it Myers and Young. Here is the argument though. If the contract had been expired for years now, why did they keep paying for something that they were no longer obligated to do? When it was discovered by TG administration they could have said fine, we are no longer accepting animals outside the city limits and the rest of the county would have to find their own way to deal with their problems. The end result was the city accepted them and nothing was paid for. I am a huge animal lover and always will be. I feel for these animals to be caught in the middle of a Political battle but this is where we stand. Sarah you have a huge battle on your hands and I would love to be there with you on Thursday. Maybe I will take a vacation day and attend.

Edited by Kruger87, 19 September 2012 - 11:18 AM.

#12 jiyabird

jiyabird

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

"ALL OUR CHILDREN"!!! Well, I chose to not have children. So I want MY MONEY to go toward animals! I get sick and tired of seeing all of these people having child after child after child when they cannot afford them and then expecting me and everyone else to pay for them.
It is not MY responsibility to support someone else's kid , just as you feel it is not your responsibility to support someone elses 'pet project'.

Pet projects ARE NOT what has this country in debt. It is the sending of jobs overseas and handing out welfare to people too lazy to work and those who continue to breed like flies and get paid for doing it!

I do more than my share of rescuing and feeding homeless pets. Dick and I rescued over 35 cats, paid for their spaying and neutering and their shots and found them homes. Did the same for numerous dogs. I paid to have several parrots rescued from horrible conditions, bought cages and placed in wonderful homes. I have helped Save That Dog animal shelter for some time. I have rescued cats and dogs and given them a home for the past 40 years and am paying over $1000 to have a rescued dog treated for heartworms right now, the 4th dog I have seen through heartworm treatment. I have bought animal food for complete strangers. Dick and I fed 15+ stray cats around the shop for 32 years
cats that people had just thrown away. Don't be telling me about MY responsibility.

I have no time nor use for anyone who has no heart or compassion for an animal. These creatures cannot take care of themselves and depend on us, who supposedly have brains, to supply them with food and shelter.

If these coldhearted jerks, and sorry Granny I cannot call them anything but jerks, cannot see their way clear to pay this debt that they owe to these poor critters then they ought to find their butts out on the street.
These poor animals will be lucky to find a forever home as it is, they have already been thrown away and now there is a table full of uncaring soulless somethings or other that could give a spit less of what happens to them.

All animals are important and in some cases some animals are more important than some lowlife individuals (child molesters,rapists,murderers,that shooter in that theater, etc). God put animals on this earth the same as he did us.

If you cannot have compassion for an animal how can you have compassion for anything else?

Putting our children in debt? Get real....this country will NEVER be out of debt and besides, it is all on paper and all a joke anyway. The country, the world will always be in debt until Armageddon.

Schools are broke? Perhaps instead of surveying for a few docks or a jetty or a Riverstage or lights for a walkover bridge or sidewalks to nowhere or plantings not wanted down Highway 62 or new cars or garbage trucks or a canal that money should be going to the schools AND PAYING BILLS THAT ARE OWED TO THE ANIMAL SHELTER!

"Excess animals-kill them" oh honey-do not even come near me and make that statement, do not even come around me and say that! How dare you say that. How dare you!
If you want to run your mouth then start promoting birth control for all the babies these babies are having that they cannot afford and promote spaying and neutering to help control the animal population and promote animal adoption instead of breeding because people want to "see what the puppies will look like" or "so my kid can see what birth looks like."

By the way I HAVE gone without food to feed my animals and would do it again. You and others will say I am sick, maybe so, but this is the way I am and the way I want to be.
I have a loving, generous, compassionate, gentle heart and I am finding out more and more that I enjoy the company of animals much more than the company of people.

This post of yours has made me angrier than I have been in a long time, even over the trash. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • puffaloopus47, Bigfoot and letmebeme like this

#13 Jessie

Jessie

Resident

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

OG you need to see a shrink. That's all I'll say.
  • jiyabird likes this

#14 Jeff all my Life

Jeff all my Life

Commissioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:31 PM

This is not about a pet project. This is about a service the county received that they have not paid for.
  • Bigfoot likes this

#15 kelley

kelley

Local Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:40 PM

Wow.

#16 puffaloopus47

puffaloopus47

Councilman

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:14 PM

Jiyabird :goodpost: YOU GO GIRL!!

#17 Tina

Tina

Tinacious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:36 PM

Is the money just sitting there waiting for a check to be written? Has it been spent on something else?

:whistle: John Perkin's road
  • justcurious likes this

#18 Slugger

Slugger

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:33 PM

Guess my question is will the shelter get the whole amount of $198k if paid or will the money go into another city fund?

#19 ChopperWoman

ChopperWoman

Key Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

Jiyabird said

I have helped Save That Dog animal shelter for some time

:thumbsup:

#20 hoosiertaxpayer

hoosiertaxpayer

BANNED

• Account Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

Here's hoping that the County does the right thing and pays up and all the money goes directly to the shelter for the animals.

TO VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE OR LEAST FAVORITE POSTER ON THE LOCAL INTERNET>>>CLICK HERE

• GrumpyGranny likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users